Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stephen Harper's accomplishments Reply with quote

Zephyr wrote:
TorontoCon wrote:

I'm a fan of the GST reduction and making student scholarships non taxable income.

Both excellent moves.

Quote:
I'm also a fan of the renewed focus on crime

The government is wasting millions pursuing a boneheaded drug war.

Quote:
and hard stance on Khadr (international law).

The government's position has been horrific. A child soldier lingering without trial for 7 years in a torture camp. Are we living in Sierra Leone or Canada?

Drugs are a major money maker for these same people who gun other people on the street. The government needs to focus its efforts on keeping these people behind bars. Appoint more conservative judges who will not be willing to allow a serious repeat offender on bail.

As for Omar Khadr, he was more than a child solider. What he did do was against the Geneva Convention. Allegedly killing a uniformed medic is a serious international crime. His day in court will come soon. Maybe we should try hired to keep people like the Khadrs’ out of this country.
Zephyr

Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Stephen Harper's accomplishments Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
[
Drugs are a major money maker for these same people who gun other people on the street.

A nanny state government bans popular substances, so inevitably a black market forms. Criminals move in to take advantage of the lucrative black market opportunities.

Plans to tackle drug gangs by hiring more police officers and jail wardens is as stupid as the 1920s attempts to counter moonshiners.

Quote:
The government needs to focus its efforts on keeping these people behind bars. Appoint more conservative judges who will not be willing to allow a serious repeat offender on bail.

Courts, lawyers and jails are all enormously costly. Far better to treat illegal drugs like we do cigarettes: legal for adults, but socially discouraged.

Quote:
As for Omar Khadr, he was more than a child solider.

No, he was a child involved in a bloody war. Much like countless other child soldiers in Africa. You know, the Third World countries whose human rights policies we're imitating.

Quote:
What he did do was against the Geneva Convention.

Holding a 15 year old indefinitely in a torture camp... how many conventions does that violate?

Quote:
Allegedly killing a uniformed medic is a serious international crime.

Again, it's all allegations.

Quote:
His day in court will come soon.

Yeah, it's only been seven years without trial!
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephyr wrote:
The government's position has been horrific. A child soldier lingering without trial for 7 years in a torture camp. Are we living in Sierra Leone or Canada?
I'm sorry, but your position on this absurd. There is a world of difference between a minor seized from his powerless, poverty-stricken family as a young child to fight a campaign of genocide in a third world country, and teenager who willingly leaves the security of the industrialized world to train with terrorists a continent away to fight a holy war against Canada and her Allies. Your characterization of Gitmo as a torture camp is purely emotional over-the-top rhetoric.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
I'm sorry, but your position on this absurd. There is a world of difference between a minor seized from his powerless, poverty-stricken family as a young child to fight a campaign of genocide in a third world country, and teenager who willingly leaves the security of the industrialized world to train with terrorists a continent away to fight a holy war against Canada and her Allies. Your characterization of Gitmo as a torture camp is purely emotional over-the-top rhetoric.

Well said. You can not compare African children who are forcefully removed from their family, or are found on the streets with a privileged, rich dad, and his son willingly fighting a war.

As for drugs, the only way their can be socially discouraged from doing drugs is spending some time in front of the law.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want it to stop, you have to ignore it. A clear case of trolling.
Zephyr

Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Your characterization of Gitmo as a torture camp is purely emotional over-the-top rhetoric.

Numerous organizations, including the Red Cross and Amnesty International ave documented torture at Guantanamo Bay.
Zephyr

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:

Nonsense. I'm merely a believer in the rule of law, and the protection of basic human rights. I support fighting the Taliban and the Baathists, but I don't believe in stooping to their level.
Zephyr

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephyr wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:

Nonsense. I'm merely a believer in the rule of law, and the protection of basic human rights. I support fighting the Taliban and the Baathists, but I don't believe in stooping to their level.

Or, more properly, in the direction of their level. Since Baathist treatment of prisoners was many shades worse than what took place at Abu Ghraib. Likewise, with Gitmo, which was bad, though not at the level of crazed Taliban beheadings, and such.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephyr wrote:
I support fighting the Taliban and the Baathists, but I don't believe in stooping to their level.

Stooping to their level? When it comes to the treatment of prisoners we should aspire to their level. We need to stop living in a Strawberry Shortcake fantasyland - war is hell.
nathaliejcaron

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the topic at hand, the tax credit for first time home buyers is pretty neat, I see myself taking advantage of that in the next year possibly.

Tax-free saving accounts is a good one, and the public transit tax credit too.

I think the strategic review of federal government departments is also a great accomplishment.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
Craig wrote:
Pulling us out of a massive global recession with minimal deficits. While the rest of the world spends the next decade trying to balance their deficits and the next decade after that paying off their accumulated debt we will be running surplussed thanks to prudent fiscal planning by the CPC.

Agreed.

I wonder how far ahead of the game we will be in 5 or 6 years while other countries are still reeling and scraping themselves back together? Will we see a massive influx of investment and business in Canadian cities, industries?

We could come out of this looking REALLY GOOD!

As a scientist, I hope we see a BOOM in our Biotech/Pharma industries! Maybe this will finally stop our brain drain to the USA?

I don't think we will come out of this "Really good". We may have been much more prudent than Obama (and Bush), but the economies are still linked. Their follies are still going to hurt us, especially in Ontario.

Back to the topic at hand though. Even though I don't like all the spending, at least it is set to expire in a couple years where the tax cuts are not.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: