Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would a flat tax be good for Ontario?
Yes
94%
 94%  [ 16 ]
No
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: The Elliott Flat Tax Reply with quote

The Elliott Flat Tax: Simply Better
(...)Elliott will phase in lower taxes for all Ontarians and collapse the three current brackets into one rate of tax. This means:

• The Basic Personal Amount will increase from the current $8,881 to approximately $18,000 to provide tax cuts for all Ontarians and take low-income taxpayers completely off the tax roll.
• The current three tax brackets will be collapsed into one single bracket of eight per cent.

“The most important feature of a flat tax is the positive impact on productivity, employment, income, living standard, and the economy in general,” said Elliott. “This has been achieved wherever flat taxes have been introduced.”(...)
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just Ontario... A flat tax would be good for all of Canada!

-Mac
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure everyone around here knows where I stand on flat tax, but in case you do not, I am for them.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Elliot implements this, Ontario will end up with the lowest income tax in Canada. I'm interested to know where Hudak, Klees, and Hillier stand on tax issues. I would also like to know where all the candidates on capital gains tax which in Ontario is 23% I believe.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hells ya!
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure the other candidates will all agree on this issue, I hope!
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:

I dunno. I was supportive of Hudak at the beginning but his policies have been pretty useless and boneheaded. I am not impressed. Frank Klees was equally disappointing thus far.
Northern Ontario Tory

Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:

Hillier seems to be supportive of the idea based on the interview I just watched on Stephen Taylor's site. As for Klees, who knows? He has released so very little in the way of policy. It's not clear what Hudak's position is right now but I'm not sure that it matters right now to me ....... I have been extremely disappointed with the policy announcements he has made so far.
Northern Ontario Tory

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezbeatz wrote:
I was supportive of Hudak at the beginning but his policies have been pretty useless and boneheaded. I am not impressed. Frank Klees was equally disappointing thus far.

I agree with that assessment! Currently I'm putting him 4th (after Klees) in my order of preference because he is proving to be such a tremendous disappointment so far.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That whole thing about Elliot being a Red Tory is looking more and more implausible. We're seeing great policy from her and Hillier, while Hudak has been all about glad-handing and collecting endorsements. It's disappointing that Hudak's is probably the winning strategy.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat tax will cost the tax preparing business 55,000 jobs in Ontario according to reports. This is not a good thing in a recession. Plus alcohol sales peak in April. This will reduce profits at the LCBO by 50% for that month(5% for the year).

The LCBO supplies half the funding for children's government sponsored activities. Any lose of revenue just before the summer months means that kids will be unable to have subsidize swimming and soccer. This is especially needed in low income areas of Toronto.

I don't see us winning any votes from tax preparers, alcoholics or single moms, so you can kiss any chance for a PC government good-bye.
Northern Ontario Tory

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Flat tax will cost the tax preparing business 55,000 jobs in Ontario according to reports. This is not a good thing in a recession.

Well, since the next election isn't until 2011 I would hope that the recession is over by then.

In regards to the flat tax proposal costing 55,000 jobs I have a very hard time believing that. As it stands, the flat tax does nothing to eliminate the many, many, many tax credits and targeted subsidies that exist ..... which is what tax preparers are needed for.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In regards to the flat tax proposal costing 55,000 jobs I have a very hard time believing that. As it stands, the flat tax does nothing to eliminate the many, many, many tax credits and targeted subsidies that exist ..... which is what tax preparers are needed for.

How far is that hook in there!!! :P :P
Northern Ontario Tory

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Quote:

Real far! :lol: I'll blame the lack of perception on the powerful cold & flu medication.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Ontario Tory wrote:
mrsocko wrote:
Quote:

Real far! :lol: I'll blame the lack of perception on the powerful cold & flu medication.

He got me too, until I read further :lol:

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: