Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucamanfredi

Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rubbish policy, and as rubbish as the two-thirds rule. As an MP you represent your riding, which is not a job one is entitled to by virtue of position or seniority.

The riding is the supreme authority in deciding who represents them, and this authority must be given the space to be exercised. Cutting people out from the selection of their representatives is not healthy for democracy and doesn't reflect well on the party.

Yes traveling back to your riding often is exhausting, but a good MP should have a team on the ground to take care of the riding matters such as selling memberships and fundraising. I mean come on, the party isn't run like a one-man-show, whether at federal or riding level. If hijacking is a worry, have a minimum loyalty threshold for voting in selection and leadership races. The UK Tory party has a minimum 3 months membership before you can vote for the Leader. Why not here? And if the membership changes and wants a new MP, that's their decision to make and yours as an MP to accept. Since when did representation become a unionized job?
bsenka

votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my opinion is colored by the fact that I really like my CPC MP, but I'm perfectly happy with the nomination process. I got the ballot, that means I was consulted. I threw it away, and there was no nomination meeting, that means that my vote was counted.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the best idea might be some sort of recall like mechanism. There could be some sort of poll of the individuals who were members of the party at the time the member won the last nomination battle.

Normally, a sitting MP would not be chalanged unless the members of his association tried to recall him. This would make it really hard to steal a nomination by busing in people because your new members could not vote in the recall, just the new election. It would also give people plenty of time to rally supporters to make it a fair fight.

This process would have saved Chuck Cadman, because his supporters would never have recalled him.

I used to think nominations should be automatic, but I think it would be a good idea to let a riding dump someone who has turned into an embarassment. The Liberals are probably thinking it would be a good thing if Ruby Dhala would go away, but they can't really dump her without hurting themselves. In our case, we would have been stuck if Grewal decided to run again.
I think if the Conservatives in Ottawa don't want Poilievre to run again, it should be their choice.
CPP

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiscalconservative wrote:
I wonder if the best idea might be some sort of recall like mechanism. There could be some sort of poll of the individuals who were members of the party at the time the member won the last nomination battle.

Normally, a sitting MP would not be chalanged unless the members of his association tried to recall him. This would make it really hard to steal a nomination by busing in people because your new members could not vote in the recall, just the new election. It would also give people plenty of time to rally supporters to make it a fair fight.

This process would have saved Chuck Cadman, because his supporters would never have recalled him.

I used to think nominations should be automatic, but I think it would be a good idea to let a riding dump someone who has turned into an embarassment. The Liberals are probably thinking it would be a good thing if Ruby Dhala would go away, but they can't really dump her without hurting themselves. In our case, we would have been stuck if Grewal decided to run again.
I think if the Conservatives in Ottawa don't want Poilievre to run again, it should be their choice.

Lets have a democratic election of our representatives, federally and provincially.
And lets not become lieberals who annoint their leader after importing him from the States.
Its the democratic thing to do.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: