Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you think will win the 2009 GE in N.S.?
PC
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
NDP
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Liberal
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

optimus2861

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Tuna wrote:
wow

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9011876.html

Garbage like this is exactly why the Tories are going to lose this election. Small-c conservatives like myself will stay at home rather than vote for these morons. I probably would vote Liberal if I were home for this trainwreck.

Roddy Mac needs to be shown the door as soon as the results are in, along with the rest of the clowns & incompetents around him.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanM wrote:
Its sad to say, but the Provincial Liberal parties across Canada, NS, NB and BC at least seem to be the more conservative ones.

BC is a bit of an anomaly in that it doesn't have a competitive conservative party, but I digress... to haul out one of my favorite broken records, this is why the CPC needs to be wary of forming any kind of relationship with provincial PC parties (rather than provincial governments). It seems that it doesn't take much time for a PC government to become too much about their adjective and not enough about their noun.
Dane Richard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope PC. :?
Dane Richard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optimus2861 wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:
wow

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9011876.html

Garbage like this is exactly why the Tories are going to lose this election. Small-c conservatives like myself will stay at home rather than vote for these morons. I probably would vote Liberal if I were home for this trainwreck.

Roddy Mac needs to be shown the door as soon as the results are in, along with the rest of the clowns & incompetents around him.

I don't think you understand the point of this. The point is for parents to be accountable for the damages a kid under 16 makes during crimes. In other words, the people responsible for raising a kid and looking after him will pay instead of the taxpayers, who have nothing to do with it. Why should I pay for the damages of the crimes kid's commit? Furthermore, it's a strong deterrent - Imagine if you knew that your parents would be paying for the break-in you're about to commit at aged 16 if you're caught. Think your parents would be happy? Talk about being grounded for life. No way would I even think about committing a crime if that were the case.
arnab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping for PC but unfortunately Liberals will take this
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnab wrote:
I am hoping for PC but unfortunately Liberals will take this

That would be a far better option then the NDP, but it's not going to happen unless other conservatives are considering what I am strongly considering to do & vote Liberal to block the NDP. Because at this point it looks as though the so called conservatives in power are about to lose big time.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect a wave of NDP governments to sweep the country provincially. They are the party of tough times, so now that tough times are here, people will throw away the future for empty promises of being taken care of.
arnab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "tough time phenomenon" is being overstated by the media. 90% of the people still have jobs. We are not in a full depression yet. There is no way NDP is going to sweep all elections provincially...

However, they might do amazing at NS. the latest poll shows NDP is leading with 44%. This is real bad. I can live with Liberals, not with NDP.
FoxtrotBravo

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In other words, the people responsible for raising a kid and looking after him will pay instead of the taxpayers, who have nothing to do with it. Why should I pay for the damages of the crimes kid's commit?

A few months ago, in the middle of the night, a 14 year old kid stole a set of rental skis, glasses, spare keys, receipts, and bunch of items out of my car that was parked in the garage of my house. The kid dropped his cell phone during the theft, and I was able to back-trace the family by looking at phone numbers etc.

After the police did nothing to recover my items, my wife and I approached the kid's parents. His family lives in a house with two cars, a garage full of crap, not a big house, but a detached house. The mom wept: " but we don't have any money to pay you back ... wah, wah...". WTF? Sell your damn car, sell your furniture, sell your house. The nerve. They never paid me back, and we were actually very polite (because we are), and I am out $600+ because of someone else's kid ... money I could have used to buy something for my own kids.

1AM curfew? Damn right! If a 15 year old is wondering the street after 1AM, they are only looking for trouble. Someone think this is communism? Great. Can I send you my bill for bleeding-heart liberalism?
NorthernRaven

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Quote:
I expect a wave of NDP governments to sweep the country provincially. They are the party of tough times, so now that tough times are here, people will throw away the future for empty promises of being taken care of.

That is a rather baseless assumption as:
NFLD - 1 MHA
NB & PEI - Mo MLA's
Quebec - Well 1 from Quebec Solidaire but they won't be getting more than 2 on the island of Montreal
Ontario- 10 MPP's, and frankly scared the crap from the Bob Rae experience and won't do that again
Manitoba - Currently governing, but as I understand it, they are relatively quite centrist and even fiscally responsible.
Saskatchewan - defeated in last election, could come back maybe in about 6 years, but that would be the natural trend.
Alberta - Well Wildrose Alliance would be most likely to govern next at this point, chances about 1 in 10.
and BC - well they didn't vote the NDP in this last election, perhaps in 4 years if the new provincial Conervatives split votes from the Liberals.

So your forecast doesn't hold water. The difference in Nova Scotia, is that the NDP has a strong grassroots in the province particularly in Halifax, Cape Breton, and the South Shore. They have been growing steadily since the 90's, and with the failure of the right alternatives, they will probably be governing NS shortly.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that Nova Scotians have been presented with no vision, no action, & no plan to create a wealthy economy. If Nova Scotians are presented with such a plan not just in ink, but visually on what will be done & how it will done, & the benefits to the communities that would be effected.

For example one idea that could bring the people of the south shore to the Conservative side would be a proposal of a highway between Amherst & Bridgewater which would in effect be bold, creative, & would present wonderful short term jobs for highway,& the bridge across the Minas Channel. The long term effects would be measured by:

- the environmental impact
- traffic flow bound in & out from the south shore & valley would be diverted away from Halifax
- the cost of goods factoring in on distance of the travel of goods would save millions
- communities such as Parrsboro, Canning, & New Germany would see significant economic growth & potential as population booms due an influx of careers coming to the region instead of just jobs
- feasibility studies if the project is possible

Now it's just an idea that popped into my head but no politician has even considered such a bold plan to grow regions outside certain jurisdictions.
Big Tuna

votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasdrubal wrote:
The difference is that Nova Scotians have been presented with no vision, no action, & no plan to create a wealthy economy. If Nova Scotians are presented with such a plan not just in ink, but visually on what will be done & how it will done, & the benefits to the communities that would be effected.

For example one idea that could bring the people of the south shore to the Conservative side would be a proposal of a highway between Amherst & Bridgewater which would in effect be bold, creative, & would present wonderful short term jobs for highway,& the bridge across the Minas Channel. The long term effects would be measured by:

- the environmental impact
- traffic flow bound in & out from the south shore & valley would be diverted away from Halifax
- the cost of goods factoring in on distance of the travel of goods would save millions
- communities such as Parrsboro, Canning, & New Germany would see significant economic growth & potential as population booms due an influx of careers coming to the region instead of just jobs

Now it's just an idea that popped into my head but no politician has even considered such a bold plan to grow regions outside certain jurisdictions.

First of all, getting highway 103 twinned would be the first logical step since it is now one of the most (if not the most) dangerous highway in the province. Many people in that area are calling for it.

Building a highway across the bay of Fundy wouldn't save people that much time, would be extremely expensive, would create more highways we don't need and can't afford to maintain, would be an eye sore and possibly hurt the tourist industry of multiple counties including places like Cape Split, Cape Chignecto, Economy, Five Islands, etc.

If you did have that much money to throw around, instead you could use that money to setup a high-speed train system from Truro to Halifax, Bridgewater to Halifax and Windsor to Halifax to start.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Tuna wrote:
If you did have that much money to throw around, instead you could use that money to setup a high-speed train system from Truro to Halifax, Bridgewater to Halifax and Windsor to Halifax to start.

Does regular passenger rail presently service this route? If so, is it profitable? If not, why do you believe rapid rail would be any different?

-Mac
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Tuna wrote:

First of all, getting highway 103 twinned would be the first logical step since it is now one of the most (if not the most) dangerous highway in the province. Many people in that area are calling for it.

No debate there but your geography is wrong, it's the 101 not the 103 that is being twinned.

Quote:
Building a highway across the bay of Fundy wouldn't save people that much time, would be extremely expensive, would create more highways we don't need and can't afford to maintain, would be an eye sore....

Again your geography is wrong but very close, this is not about building a highway bridge over the Bay of Fundy, are you nuts, this is about the Minas Channel, the body of water between the Bay of Fundy & the Minas Basin. Although who said it had to be a bridge, it could be a tunnel.

And your right to be concerned about the price for every kilometre of to divide the 101 it has been estimated to be about 1 million. Now I have done some calculations:

Based on GIS Analysis wrote:

Total time: 2 hours 36 minutes.
Total distance: 262.36 km.
Average speed: 100.48 km/hour.

The Charles Tupper Bridge estimates:

Drive for 8 minutes (9.45 km)

I would estimate in the 400 million to 800 million dollar range if the money was there & the citizens of Nova Scotia demanded it.

Quote:
multiple counties including places like Cape Split, Cape Chignecto, Economy, Five Islands, etc.

Your thinking of the Blomidon Provincial Park which owns Cape Split. Anyways to bring up something I have already said:

Quote:

Anyways this is only an idea not a suggestion because the only way Nova Scotia will ever prosper is to look at every angle, study, & change the way things here. It's those that cry foul that have heald us back from economic development.

Mac wrote:
]
Quote:

Does regular passenger rail presently service this route? If so, is it profitable? If not, why do you believe rapid rail would be any different?

All the tracks except to the Windsor/Hantsport area have been lifted up. Even the rail route towards Windsor is now privately owned. Also I find it funny when I think of population distribution Windsor is not the economic centre of the valley. Kings County holds in the 55-60K population range which is further to the west of Windsor so it's beyond me why anyone would even consider a high speed railine only to Windsor with a lot more business to the west towards Kentville.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasdrubal wrote:
All the tracks except to the Windsor/Hantsport area have been lifted up. Even the rail route towards Windsor is now privately owned. Also I find it funny when I think of population distribution Windsor is not the economic centre of the valley. Kings County holds in the 55-60K population range which is further to the west of Windsor so it's beyond me why anyone would even consider a high speed railine only to Windsor with a lot more business to the west towards Kentville.

Pretty much what I figured although I haven't been that way for years.

-Mac

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: