Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will Take over CBC newsworld's Politics show?
Kieth Boag
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Susan Bonner
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Pablo Rodriguez
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Krista Erickson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Charles Adler
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Whatever person the LPC want
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

JDot

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Don Newman to retire.. Reply with quote

And so the Brooooooooadcast comes to a end..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....itics/home

Quote:
BRIAN LAGHI

Globe and Mail Update

May 2, 2009 at 11:06 PM EDT

CBC icon Don Newman has decided to take a retirement package.

A spokesman for the CBC, Jeff Keay, confirmed Saturday night that Mr. Newman, who currently hosts the Newsworld daily program Politics, has “opted for the voluntary retirement incentive.”

Employees had a deadline of Friday to decide. Mr. Keay could not say how Mr. Newman's decision might affect the program or when his decision takes effect.

Mr. Newman's varied career has included major events from the U.S. Watergate scandal to the Meech Lake and Charlottetown accords. He is one of the country's most respected journalists, a member of the Order of Canada and a winner of several prestigious awards.

Last edited by JDot on Tue May 05, 2009 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
905 Tory

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always liked the intro: broooaaadcast. I also liked how he would cut people off randomly because "they were running out of time." Other than that, he's boring and I turn my TV off when I see him.

I also don't pay attention to the 5 pm political shows simply because I just don't have the time. Now, don't think I liked Duffy either. His political affiliations were good (like showing the Dion tape where he couldn't come up with an answer) but he talked so slowly and breathed so heavily.
JDot

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

905 Tory wrote:
I have always liked the intro: broooaaadcast. I also liked how he would cut people off randomly because "they were running out of time." Other than that, he's boring and I turn my TV off when I see him.

I also don't pay attention to the 5 pm political shows simply because I just don't have the time. Now, don't think I liked Duffy either. His political affiliations were good (like showing the Dion tape where he couldn't come up with an answer) but he talked so slowly and breathed so heavily.

I am not a big fan of Newman. But I did like how he cut people off over time. I liked the Duffster, but he was bad when it came to cutting people off. Crazy that two long time political host's, leave there job in such a short time of each other.

Tom Clark is good on CTV's PowerPlay. He does not put up with the rambling talking points all parties use.

I wonder who is going to take over Don's spot. I also wonder if PM Harper will give him a interview(I'm pretty sure Harper has not done a interview with Newman since he was elected PM).

I bet it is Susan Bonner, that takes over the Broooooaaadcast... :wink:
JDot

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBC confirms Don Newman's retirement..

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/media/s.....tires.html

Quote:
One of the CBC's most eminent journalists, Don Newman, who currently hosts the daily Newsworld program Politics, has "opted for the voluntary retirement incentive."

In a message to CBC News, Newman said Sunday that "I will be doing Politics until the end of the season in June." He did not divulge any more details and said that he could not make any more comment on the matter.

RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must say i have been less impressed with his coverage of politics in recent months and years . his coverage has drifted to the left and came with an anti-cpc tone in recent months . i can't say i'm too disappointed in hearing he is retiring .
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad he is leaving. Anyone who replaces him will probably be far left where Don was only center left.

Someone should add a poll.

Don Newman's replacement will be:

centre left
far left
enviromental left
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzan Bonnier or Keith Boag will most likely take his place.

He was alright, better than most on CBC.
JDot

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
Suzan Bonnier or Keith Boag will most likely take his place.

He was alright, better than most on CBC.

Anyone but Keith Boag. I can't stand that guy, he has to be one of the most useless journalist in Canada.
JDot

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
i must say i have been less impressed with his coverage of politics in recent months and years . his coverage has drifted to the left and came with an anti-cpc tone in recent months . i can't say i'm too disappointed in hearing he is retiring .

Co-Sign.

Don really outed himself as a CPC hater during the Coalition coup. The sad thing is, that is the best you are going to get from CBC when it comes to politics..
JDot

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
To bad he is leaving. Anyone who replaces him will probably be far left where Don was only center left.

Someone should add a poll.

Agreed..

I don't know how to add a poll after already posting the story..
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDot wrote:
RCO wrote:

Co-Sign.

Don really outed himself as a CPC hater during the Coalition coup. The sad thing is, that is the best you are going to get from CBC when it comes to politics..

the coalition experience was a low point of his career or coverage i really though , for someone who was so respected going into it , the coverage from him that came out of that crisis was nothing short of embarrassing .
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDot wrote:

Use the "Edit" link (upper left- looks like scissors cutting paper) on your original post starting this thread. Scroll down to the poll option and add a poll!

Anyone want to make suggestions of whose names should be in the poll, give JDot some feedback.

-Mac
JDot

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
JDot wrote:

Use the "Edit" link (upper left- looks like scissors cutting paper) on your original post starting this thread. Scroll down to the poll option and add a poll!

Anyone want to make suggestions of whose names should be in the poll, give JDot some feedback.

-Mac

Thanks Mac.
905 Tory

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Susan Bonner will become the host even though I have seen that she fills in quite a bit when the old guy is away. Actually, my friend who actually watches this show said that a guy named Chris Hall has filled in before and he's a breath of fresh air from the older, boring political hosts (i.e. Newman, Duffy, Oliver).
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I threw away my vote on Adler. I don't always agree with him but Chuck is fun... and the odds of him getting a job with the CBC are about equal to mine... NIL!

-Mac

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: