Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should run for the Wildrose Alliance
Preston Manning - Former Reform Leader
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Monte Solberg - Former Federal Cabinet Minister
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Marilyn Burns - Former Leadership Candidate
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
David Crutcher - Former Leadership Candidate
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ed Klop - Former Leadership Candidate
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Deborah Grey - First Federal Reform MP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

NorthernRaven

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Who would you want to run for the Wildrose Alliance Reply with quote

Now that Paul Hinman is stepping down, who should run for the Wildrose Alliance?

Anyone from Alberta, if you know more other desirable Candidates feel free to create a new poll. (Sorry I'm just an Easterner stiring stuff up)
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my mind, no one on your list matches the feel and vision of this new conservative party better than Solberg. I don't know if he'd be interested in running, though.
First Lady

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two choices missing on there.

Paul Hinman

Other
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A convicted child molester.
That way their would be less votes siphoned away from the Conservatives. The Tory/Reform split created a decade of Liberal rule. Why would you want to repeat that in Alberta ?
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiscalconservative wrote:
A convicted child molester.
That way their would be less votes siphoned away from the Conservatives. The Tory/Reform split created a decade of Liberal rule. Why would you want to repeat that in Alberta ?
You should probably take a look at previous election results before tossing around statements like that. It is entirely possible in 90% of Alberta's provincial ridings to split the conservative vote in half and still have either the PCs or the WA win the riding. Vote splitting is not a problem here like it can be for federal elections in other provinces.

Besides which, the split, while unfortunate, was necessary for the rebirth of a conservative federal party. The federal PCs collapsed because they did not pay enough attention to principles, and the Alberta PCs are doing the same.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt Preston Manning would run. He could have run for the top job in the PCs in 2006 but he did not. Would he want to take the helm of a new party this late in his political career?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preston Manning is the only one who instantly turns the party into a contender. Under any of the other options it remains a fringe party.
Cadence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All wrong..
Ezra Levant
IMO
NorthernRaven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry I forgot Ezra when I submitted the poll, and I cannot edit the poll choices, so please go ahead and make a new one, if there any other people I missed.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Ezra would work in that position. I have a ton of respect for him and as an activist he is second to none but I don't see him as a leader of a political party. He reminds me of Newt Gingrich - too abrasive and polarizing for a leadership position but an excellent advocate.
Cadence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a supporter of the Alliance in the last election. He has a lot of charisma and a high profile.
If you read what Hinman has been saying, he would not step down unless the potential new leader has these qualities.
I think Ezra could take the party to a new level, with instant name recognition.
We'll find out soon enough.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadence wrote:
He was a supporter of the Alliance in the last election. He has a lot of charisma and a high profile.
If you read what Hinman has been saying, he would not step down unless the potential new leader has these qualities.
I think Ezra could take the party to a new level, with instant name recognition.
We'll find out soon enough.

I certainly think the party would fair better under Ezra than they have in the past. I just don't think they could win. I think Preston instantly makes them a condender to win.
Forward

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those choices are excellent including Levant but Preston Manning has the high profile for it. I agree with Craig. Manning has the best chance.

Plus, the beautiful poetic justice of it is something I have to admire. Manning destroyed the arrogant, tired, blue Liberal Progressive Conservatives FEDERALLY. Then he would be poised to do the same thing PROVINCIALLY. :lol:

The message would be strong to the federal CPC ---- (ignore your base support at your peril).

I love it.
Cadence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preston Manning certainly has the Gravitas and would be a stronger leader. I am clouding my opinion with who I think will run. I think Ezra will and Preston will not.
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
I don't think Ezra would work in that position. I have a ton of respect for him and as an activist he is second to none but I don't see him as a leader of a political party. He reminds me of Newt Gingrich - too abrasive and polarizing for a leadership position but an excellent advocate.

Late to the party myself, but yeah, I really agree with this. And I doubt he'll throw his hat in... same with Manning. A great man that I really respect, but I don't think he matches the party very well and I don't think he's interested, either. I think we're thinking too big, too political. The mystery candidate could very well be someone like Gwynn Morgan (I don't think it is - but that would be pretty awesome).

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: