Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Randy Hillier the ontario pc's version of a Ron Paul type Reply with quote

I had a though today about who Randy Hillier reminded me of , and yes i came to the conclusion he is the ontario pc's version of a Ron Paul type candidate . i think he has alot in common with Ron Paul and his failed bid for the republican presidential nomination . ( now i'm not trying to poke fun at either of them just think there is alot of similarities between the 2 .)

some of the things i think they have in common

- viewed as a different type of non-traditional candidate
- have much more support on the web / among grassroots than the general public
- have a seat but more or less remain unknown by the average person
- not taken seriously by there own party or seen as having any chance to win
or seen as electable / leadership type
- not really taken seriously by the media either
- have policy posiitons that go against that of there own party
- lack any major endorsements from other high profile elected politicians
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call.

at the last PC convention Randy's sons were actually carrying around Ron Paul signs.
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Randy and he is a good solid man who would put his career. life in serious danger to stand up for his principles. For you.
He may not be every bodies cup of tea, a bit too plain spoken and he seems to be more about dismantling government and cutting it's powers back, but you know when you go into battle with this man he will stand tall beside you and NEVER run tail when things get a bit bumpy. He has personal integrity and honour.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:
I know Randy and he is a good solid man who would put his career. life in serious danger to stand up for his principles. For you.
He may not be every bodies cup of tea, a bit too plain spoken and he seems to be more about dismantling government and cutting it's powers back, but you know when you go into battle with this man he will stand tall beside you and NEVER run tail when things get a bit bumpy. He has personal integrity and honour.

well i don't doubt he is serious and genuine about his principles , its just the electability isn't there especially in the GTA . he for sure does mean what he talks about its just that what he talks about does not always connect with the average ontarian , my father read about his human rights commission stance and some other policy ideas from him and wasn't impressed and did not think it was going to help the party .
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He seems fairly representative of conservative thought in rural Ontario, at least what I've seen of it (I have cousins there). As I've said, I'd support him in I were in Ontario, even though I concede he would not sell well in the GTA. On the other hand, I believe one of Tory's promoted strengths was his potential for Toronto votes - perhaps this is not good criteria for the evaluation of candidates...
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
He seems fairly representative of conservative thought in rural Ontario, at least what I've seen of it (I have cousins there). As I've said, I'd support him in I were in Ontario, even though I concede he would not sell well in the GTA. On the other hand, I believe one of Tory's promoted strengths was his potential for Toronto votes - perhaps this is not good criteria for the evaluation of candidates...

Maybe representative of some of the more rural parts of ontario but not necessary the rural ridings in general , you have to remember most of our so called " rural " ridings include towns with populations of 10,000 or greater so they aren't nearly as rural is they used to be sure there is still some farms and small towns with populations of 500 or less but even many of those are now what they call " bedroom communities " where there residents mostly commute for things like work to other larger towns or cities . so i'm not sure a message that rural would be a great vote gainer in those towns .

some examples some might consider nipissing to be a rural riding but it includes north bay a city of 50,000 residents more than enough to out vote the tiny rural communities in the riding .
simcoe north is another so called rural riding but it also includes orillia a city of 35,000 and midland area of 20,000 or so . the towns by far out number the rural areas in between .
peterborough another so called rural riding is dominated the by city of peterborough 50,000 or so , the rural areas are too small to swing the riding itself and mostly bedroom communities anyways .

now i don't think an urban message would sell well in those types of ridings either but the message needs to be one that has appeal in both the rural and urban areas . the federal cpc seems to have found that balance which is why they have won alot of these rural/ urban mixed ridings in ontario .
Zephyr

Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, Hillier would have my support on the first ballot.
Simeon Drakich

Reputation: 7.2Reputation: 7.2Reputation: 7.2Reputation: 7.2Reputation: 7.2Reputation: 7.2Reputation: 7.2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy is a libertarian, who is not afraid to tackle the issues that all skirt around.
Will he win the leadership , probably not, but he will have an impact on the policies.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephyr wrote:
From what I've seen, Hillier would have my support on the first ballot.

over the other 3 candidates of hudak , klees and elliott ?

sure hillier has ideas but the electablity isn't there , he doesn't have the widespread appeal to actually win enough seats to ever put these ideas to a vote . plus liberal spin doctors like warren kinsellla were very happy to see him in the race and would have a field day going after him .
Zephyr

Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:

plus liberal spin doctors like warren kinsellla were very happy to see him in the race and would have a field day going after him .

So we're going to let Warren Kinsella choose the next Conservative leader?
905 Tory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillier is a man's man. He may not win but he's not scared in the face of adversity and isn't afraid to speak his mind. That is the type of guy we need not just running Ontario but Canada. Also, he looks like a principled, family with deep core values. I don't hold a membership to this party since Tory wasn't a man I wanted to be associated with but if somehow Hillier pulled it off (with some conspiring to get support for later ballots), I'd join the party in an instant. Elliot--not my kind of conservative; Klees--So-so; Hudak--Second best choice and more electable.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephyr wrote:
RCO wrote:

plus liberal spin doctors like warren kinsellla were very happy to see him in the race and would have a field day going after him .

So we're going to let Warren Kinsella choose the next Conservative leader?

no but i saw the blog post kinsella put out the day hillier announced he was running and the fact kinsella was so happy should be a concern to conservatives who actually want to beat the liberals in the next election over waiting for another 4 or so years .
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

905 Tory wrote:
Hillier is a man's man. He may not win but he's not scared in the face of adversity and isn't afraid to speak his mind. That is the type of guy we need not just running Ontario but Canada. Also, he looks like a principled, family with deep core values. I don't hold a membership to this party since Tory wasn't a man I wanted to be associated with but if somehow Hillier pulled it off (with some conspiring to get support for later ballots), I'd join the party in an instant. Elliot--not my kind of conservative; Klees--So-so; Hudak--Second best choice and more electable.

so you want to see a certain leadership candidate win but don't plan on joining the party so you can actually vote ? please explain to us how that one is suppose to work cause i'm missing the logic in that one ?
905 Tory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:

so you want to see a certain leadership candidate win but don't plan on joining the party so you can actually vote ? please explain to us how that one is suppose to work cause i'm missing the logic in that one ?

I ain't going to join this party if someone like Elliot wins or something...that's for sure.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

905 Tory wrote:
RCO wrote:

I ain't going to join this party if someone like Elliot wins or something...that's for sure.

If the Liberals bring up her husband she’s going to call them sexist for ‘implying’ that because she’s a woman, and married that she can’t be effective in politics! I am paraphrasing just a tad, but I was sitting at a boardroom table right across from her when there was a question on how her husband being Federal Finance Minister could be used to hurt her should she become Leader…. That was her answer.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT SHE’S A WOMAN! It has to do with potential conflicts between Federal/Provincial policies!

I’m sorry, but when I heard her say this, I wanted to scream at her and tell her she was an idiot! I didn’t because she is a very nice person, and I’m not THAT blunt – but that was a STUPID answer and if she tries that, she’d have mentally incompetent to a degree!

That’s like the people out there that say those that disagree with Obama is only because he’s black, not because he’s a left-wing politician whose policies they just may not agree with!

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: