Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Carbon tax plan resurfaces in Liberal policy discussions Reply with quote

Carbon tax resurfaces in Liberal policy

By Joan Bryden, THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA - Stephane Dion may be gone but his much-maligned carbon tax proposal lingers on among Liberals.

The idea was a flop with voters during last fall's federal election but it has popped up again in priority policy resolutions to be debated later this month at a Liberal convention that will officially crown Michael Ignatieff as Dion's successor.

One resolution, proposed by the Quebec wing of the party, calls on a Liberal government to unconditionally commit to meeting the Kyoto Protocol targets, enacting legislation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions that would include "establishing a carbon tax, a cap and trade system or a combination of both."

Another, proposed by the British Columbia wing of the party, calls on a Liberal government to consider "all mechanisms of investment, incentive and taxation" to combat global warming and stimulate sustainable economic growth.

The two proposals are among 30 priority resolutions chosen by Liberal riding presidents to be debated at the April 30-May 2 convention in Vancouver.

Those approved by the 1,500-2,000 Liberals expected to attend the convention will not be binding on Ignatieff, who has set up his own committee to draft a platform for the next election. And the leader has already signalled he wants no part of a carbon tax, no matter what delegates have to say on the subject.

Although he was the first prominent Liberal to espouse a carbon tax, during the 2006 leadership contest which he lost to Dion, Ignatieff has disavowed the concept since taking over the helm of the party last December.

"We took the carbon tax to the public and the public didn't think it was such a good idea," he said last month.

"I'm trying to get myself elected here and if the public, after mature consideration, think that's the dumbest thing they've ever heard then I've got to listen."

Some Liberals have dubbed the Vancouver gathering the Seinfeld convention - after the 1990s TV sitcom dubbed a show about nothing - given delegates' limited ability to influence policy decisions and the fact that there will be no vote for leader or party president, with both Ignatieff and his confidant, Alf Apps, set to be acclaimed.

For the first time, the party has done away with policy workshops at which delegates have traditionally chosen the priority resolutions they want put to a vote on the convention floor. Instead, the party held online workshops last month for members to consider just over 100 resolutions from the party's various provincial wings and commissions.

Riding presidents winnowed those down to 30 to be debated in Vancouver.

Several of the resolutions rejected by the presidents also included calls for a carbon tax.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Po.....46-cp.html
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the conservatives should be all over this hypocrasy coming out of the federal liberal party , michael ignatieff is running all over the country especially western canada saying this policy is dead yet the liberals are debating it at there policy convention . so it does not sound dead to me at all . the liberals are simply geting away with saying one thing but then turning around and doing another .
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow I hope iggy goes for it :lol: hello majority
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the Liberals were not that stupid! I guess they are!
Zephyr

Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not opposed to a tax on fossil fuels. Non-renewable resources should be conserved wisely, not used up in a short-term binge. My main problem with the Green Shift was its complexity. The Shift created far too many new programs and credits.
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:

what i find interesting about this one is how iggy seems to be speaking out of tune with the liberal base on this one as clearly there is interest for a carbon tax there even though iggy is running around saying the opposite . the party is clearly not united behind ignatieff on this issue and actually very divided .

anyways it makes ignatieff look very silly running across canada saying this plan is dead when the liberals are debating it at there convention , sounds like he is not being honest with canadians at all .
SFrank85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
Rusty Bedsprings wrote:

what i find interesting about this one is how iggy seems to be speaking out of tune with the liberal base on this one as clearly there is interest for a carbon tax there even though iggy is running around saying the opposite . the party is clearly not united behind ignatieff on this issue and actually very divided .

anyways it makes ignatieff look very silly running across canada saying this plan is dead when the liberals are debating it at there convention , sounds like he is not being honest with canadians at all .

Maybe he does secretly support the Carbon Tax, but he will not say it in public.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephyr wrote:
I'm not opposed to a tax on fossil fuels. Non-renewable resources should be conserved wisely, not used up in a short-term binge. My main problem with the Green Shift was its complexity. The Shift created far too many new programs and credits.

We already have a tax on fossil fuels. It's called excise and both the provincial and federal governments have one.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the liberals wouldn't be dumb enough to campaign on a carbon tax...again.
SFrank85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are a few in their caucus who would.
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezbeatz wrote:
Even the liberals wouldn't be dumb enough to campaign on a carbon tax...again.

they'd campaign on one if they though it was going to be popular , they've only changed there mind cause it was a vote loser not cause it was going to be bad for the economy and do little for the environment .

iggy is showing that he will do anything for votes and not singing the same tune as the party's base which is interesting , maybe he is still trying to convince other liberals to abandon this whole idea ? or just doesn't want to be seen as personally supporting it anymore . anyways its all very odd .
SFrank85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think he secretly supports it. He knows it is unpopular, he will not run on it, but if he gets elected, BANG! Carbon Tax!
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure we should want less carbon in the air, according to AL gores mentor (his prof. at university who discovered global warming) DR. Revelle says more co2 will help plants, will help calm down weather and will be good! Gore conveniently left that out of his documentary.
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
British put warning label on Gore film: "The British high court ruled Gore's Academy Award winning global warming film cannot be shown in any public school in England without an explicit disclaimer. The high court ruled that students must be warned that the film is partisan, political advocacy, not a factual representation of what is actually happening with the climate of the world. The disclaimer must stipulate that misleading exaggerations permeate the film....
SFrank85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:
I'm not sure we should want less carbon in the air, according to AL gores mentor (his prof. at university who discovered global warming) DR. Revelle says more co2 will help plants, will help calm down weather and will be good! Gore conveniently left that out of his documentary.

Co2’s are not the problem, yet these scientists like to blame it for the earth’s “warming”. Co2 are natural.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: