Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Hillier would reinstate spring bear hunt Reply with quote

Conservative leadership candidate would reinstate spring bear hunt

Posted 4 days ago

One of the candidates running to become Ontario's new Progressive Conservative leader says he would reinstate the spring bear hunt if he becomes the province's next premier.

“Rural and Northern Ontario is struggling and re-opening the spring bear hunt will bring millions of dollars back to the economy,” Randy Hillier said in a release. “Rural and Northern Ontarians deserve a voice in the decisions that affect their livelihoods.”

Randy Hillier, the MPP for Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox and Addington, challenged the Liberal government and the other leadership candidates to stand with him in defending rural and Northern Ontario by reinstating the spring bear hunt.

The former Conservative government of Mike Harris cancelled the hunt in 1999, sparking controversy ever since. Critics argue the lack of the hunt has led to an increase in the bear population and more encounters with humans.

Hillier, however, the spring bear is needed to help the economy.

“Times are tough and we need ideas that will help build and grow rural and Northern Ontario. British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, New Brunswick and Newfoundland all continue to allow the spring bear hunt.

"These provinces are building the rural economy through tourism, while the Ontario government ties the hands of the people of rural and Northern Ontario from making a living.”

http://www.thesudburystar.com/.....?e=1507909
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i'm skeptical about the idea of hillier as leader and not likely to vote for him . i do however think this is a good policy idea .

first off the cancellation of this hunt was seen as a mistake in northern ontario / rural ontario , where there is many black bears . often refered to as nuisance animals as there is so many of them and some have moved closer into towns and cities ( know i've seen one in my back yard and that would of been very rare years ago )

secondly the cancellation cost the provincial party alot of support in northern and rural areas and made it look like the party cared more about toronto than the rest of the province . it was a vote loser as the city environmental voters weren't backing us anyways and it cost votes among people who would of otherwise supporter the ontario pc's .
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support for Spring Bear Hunt
Posted by Tim Davidson (Mix FM Kenora) on Friday, April 3rd, 2009 am 8:08:06 AM

The Executive Director of the Northern Ontario Tourist Outfitters is applauding Progressive Conservative leadership candidate Randy Hillier for his stance on the spring bear hunt.
Doug Reynolds says the cancellation of the hunt in 1999 was a mistake that wasn't based on good science or good economics.
Hillier says reinstating the hunt would mean millions of dollars for the economies of Northern and rural Ontario.

http://www.ckdr.net/news/index.php
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Randy Hillier,
I like that he seems to be a voice for Northern Ontario
And I have no major issue with this policy,

With that said, he is unelectable in a general.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spring bear hunt should be reinstated no matter who is Premier of Ontario.

The Harris Government was conned into cancelling the spring bear hunt by PETA type cute Teddy bear huggers from the city who claimed that cubs would be orphaned. Even though it was already illegal to shoot a cub or a lactating sow, and there was no evidence ever produced to verify that hunters orphaned even one cub.

Now we have an over population of bears in many areas leading to nuisance bears being shot by, police, conservation officers, and private land owners in record numbers. This surplus population could be harvested with the spring bear hunt, bringing back revenue from this cancelled hunt to communities across Ontario, and stopping the waste of bears as nuance animals.

I am sick and tired of Toronto mentality dictating how Rural Ontario folk should live their lives especially when rural issues they become concerend over have very little to do life in the cocoon of the city.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuralandRight wrote:

Now we have an over population of bears in many areas leading to nuisance bears being shot by, police, conservation officers, and private land owners in record numbers. This surplus population could be harvested with the spring bear hunt, bringing back revenue from this canceled hunt to communities across Ontario, and stopping the waste of bears as nuance animals.

I am sick and tired of Toronto mentality dictating how Rural Ontario folk should live their lives especially when rural issues they become concerned over have very little to do life in the cocoon of the city.

I do agree with the sentiment.
The reality is that we have far to much Urban media that seems to be dictating public opinion on these matters. The reality is that a Torontonian living on a 24th floor condo has no idea what the issues with an overpopulation of bears in the North may bring about because the reality is that there are not all that many bear sightings at Yonge and Carlton.

How quickly a Suburbanite runs to Home Depot the buy the most inhumane and cheapest mousetrap when they come across a single mouse dropping is the ultimate irony as these are the people who are referring to the hunt as cruel.

I have never had a Bear go through my yard, nor do I think I would ever want that experience and with that said if they have reached a point of overpopulation and are having to be put down anyway, perhaps the Spring Hunt should be reinstated?
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears are a nuisance in the rural areas.

Last year we had a bear run into our car, while we were driving, down a dirt road, at night, totaled the car. We were stuck in the car, in a ditch, unable to get out until someone driving by saw us, we were hoping the constant honking of the horn irritated the bear or a nearby farmer enough to come check out what the problem was, because the Bear, while injured did not die. Having no gun upon our person we were trapped in our vehicle with one PO'd bear watching us licking his wounds and what we thought also licking his chops....He wasn't afraid of us one little bit.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuralandRight wrote:
The spring bear hunt should be reinstated no matter who is Premier of Ontario.

The Harris Government was conned into cancelling the spring bear hunt by PETA type cute Teddy bear huggers from the city who claimed that cubs would be orphaned. Even though it was already illegal to shoot a cub or a lactating sow, and there was no evidence ever produced to verify that hunters orphaned even one cub.

Now we have an over population of bears in many areas leading to nuisance bears being shot by, police, conservation officers, and private land owners in record numbers. This surplus population could be harvested with the spring bear hunt, bringing back revenue from this cancelled hunt to communities across Ontario, and stopping the waste of bears as nuance animals.

I am sick and tired of Toronto mentality dictating how Rural Ontario folk should live their lives especially when rural issues they become concerend over have very little to do life in the cocoon of the city.

i also agree it should be reinstated on some level no matter who is in power or premier , its been clear the last couple of years that the cancellation of it has not worked and in fact made things worse as there is now too many bears in many areas . and not much natural food for them so there going into towns and cities to eat . i'm not saying we should go out there and just shot every bear , no just some to control the population a bit so the numbers don't grow too much and the problem get any bigger .
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Hillier seriously expects to be picked as leader but this gives him a great platform to push for good policy... and a chance to be a deal-maker...

-Mac
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
I don't think Hillier seriously expects to be picked as leader but this gives him a great platform to push for good policy... and a chance to be a deal-maker...

-Mac

i don't think its very likely he'll be picked as leader either , might just be trying to get better known and get his issues out there and of more importance . also the fact he is without the support of any of the ont pc caucus members also could be an indicator of his support .
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillier seems like the kind of politician I would vote for as a party leader in Alberta (I voted for Ted Morton in the last PCPA leadership election). Hudak seems like a fine choice, though.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamma wrote:
Quote:
Last year we had a bear run into our car, while we were driving

What kinda bear totals a car and survives? Was it a grizzly or a polar bear. Amazing story

I don't care about the bear hunt as long as Hillier leaves property assessors alone.
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Mamma wrote:
Quote:

What kinda bear totals a car and survives? Was it a grizzly or a polar bear. Amazing story

Polar Bear? :D

It was a very big dark brown bear. It ran out on the road and hit the front driver side, it sort of flipped sideways and took out the rest of the driver's side. Front bumper, both driver side doors. I'm not sure if part of the structural damage to the car, the underneathy part, (I know I'm so car savvy, :roll: ) that qualified it as totaled was a result of the actual Bear hit or the ditch ride we took as a result of the bear hit. The way I look at it, no bear hit, no totaled car. ( Was a Hyundai Elantra)
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you came out of it OK crazymamma.

Friends of mine had a black bear ram in to the side of their car while they were driving up the highway to northern Ontario ... it did some nasty damage to the car doors ... they said the bear was only stunned and wandered back into the bush.
Northern Ontario Tory

Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Mamma wrote:
Quote:

Considering the way cars are made these days, a large stuffed teddy bear would about do the job. :lol:

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: