Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Hudak to enter Ontario PC leadership race Reply with quote

Hudak to enter PC leadership race
PROVINCIAL POLITICS: Sources say Niagara West-Glanbrook MPP will launch campaign on Thursday
Posted By THE CANADIAN PRESS
Posted 1 day ago

The race to replace John Tory as leader of Ontario's Progressive Conservatives will expand to three candidates Thursday when Tim Hudak formally announces his campaign, The Canadian Press has learned.

Hudak will launch his leadership bid with a news conference at the Ontario legislature and then hold an event Thursday night for supporters in his Niagara West-Glanbrook riding, sources said.

The 41-year-old Hudak, currently the party's finance critic, will have about 12 of the 24 Conservative caucus members on hand to show their support when he launches his campaign.

"He's got a pretty good chunk of caucus support , which we're very happy about," said one source with Hudak's campaign.

"That amount of caucus support right off the bat shows that the team at Queen's Park has a lot of faith and trust in Tim."

With interim leader Bob Runciman and deputy leader Elizabeth Witmer both remaining neutral, Hudak will start the race with more than half of the caucus members listed as supporting his bid for the party's top job.

Hudak was first elected in 1995 and was minister of northern development and mines and minister of tourism, culture and recreation under former premier Mike Harris. He was later named minister of consumer and business services by then-premier Ernie Eves.

Fellow caucus members Frank Klees and Randy Hillier have al-r eady announced their intentions to

try to succeed Tory as leader of Ontario's Conservatives.

Christine Elliott, the wife of federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, has also been testing the waters for her own possible run for the party leadership.

There has also been talk about some federal Conservatives considering bids to lead the Ontario party, but so far all those believed to be possible candidates have said they like their jobs in Ottawa.

Continued After Advertisement Below

Advertisement

Tory's inability to get a seat in the legislature was one of the main reasons he couldn't rally the caucus behind him, and it's believed any leadership candidates who don't have a seat would be at a significant disadvantage compared with their caucus rivals.

Tory resigned in early March after losing a Lindsay-area by-election in a Conservative-held riding to the governing Liberals, throwing the official Opposition party into a leadership race.

The Conservatives will announce their new leader at a convention in Markham on June 27 after a vote by party members across the province the previous week.

http://www.stcatharinesstandar.....AN%20PRESS
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not surprising he is entering the race , whats maybe a little surprising is he allready has the support of 12 mpp's this early in the race . although the current caucus is small and there is alot of grassroots supporters of the party out there not actually in the legislature .
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris + Half the caucus = Hudak FTW.

He will be the next leader of that I have little doubt, but what I find refreshing is that we are still having a productive and well represented race, and a race populated with true blue Tories (save for Elliot).

I have felt like I have been in a Coma in terms of my interest in the Provincial Party since that day that Harris stepped down, and this race with the quality of candidates has truly sparked my interest once again.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

He will be the next leader of that I have little doubt, but what I find refreshing is that we are still having a productive and well represented race, and a race populated with true blue Tories (save for Elliot).

I have felt like I have been in a Coma in terms of my interest in the Provincial Party since that day that Harris stepped down, and this race with the quality of candidates has truly sparked my interest once again.

Knowing our luck, Elliot will be elected! :wink:
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more.

Tim will do wonders to revitalize the Conservative Party in Ontario.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:

Toronto Star would prefer that.

Elliott, who is married to federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, is largely considered to be Hudak's biggest threat.

The lawyer and mother of triplet boys, who was elected in 2006 and serves as the party's justice critic, has distanced herself from her husband's more right-wing views.

She supports gay rights and opposes tax harmonization, even though Flaherty has long pushed for Ontario to merge its sales tax with the federal GST.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

Frank!!!!
Way to ruin the start to my weekend!

Ugh...I will go out on a limb right now and say no way no how.

If Hiller and Klees walk away prior to the election they both have a lot more in common with Hudak.

And I just don't see the party making the John Tory mistake twice (in a row)

Alienate the base, lose the support of your hardest workers.

Elliot alienates me, and the fact that the Star had something positive to say about her make me even more against her even finishing top three.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuralandRight wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more.

Tim will do wonders to revitalize the Conservative Party in Ontario.

I agree.

I love the website for Tim,
http://www.right-here.ca/

We have a guy who is not hiding in the shadows about being a real Conservative, wow!
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezbeatz wrote:
SFrank85 wrote:

Elliott, who is married to federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, is largely considered to be Hudak's biggest threat.

The lawyer and mother of triplet boys, who was elected in 2006 and serves as the party's justice critic, has distanced herself from her husband's more right-wing views.

She supports gay rights and opposes tax harmonization, even though Flaherty has long pushed for Ontario to merge its sales tax with the federal GST.

Of course the Star wants her to win,
Because she is unelectable in a Provincial election.

Even if she is a centrist the fact that she shares a bed with "Harpers Evil Right Hand Man" will be enough to make the election about her and not about policy.

Say No to Elliott, Because the Star says Yes!
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

That sounds about right.

-Mac
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
ezbeatz wrote:
SFrank85 wrote:

Even if she is a centrist the fact that she shares a bed with "Harpers Evil Right Hand Man" will be enough to make the election about her and not about policy.

I agree, she has too much baggage, right or wrong. I donít have a problem with Jim Flaherty, but a lot may. Plus, I donít get the impression that Christine is conservative enough.

Hell, Iím doubting Hudak now too! Ė In an interview with Stephen Taylor, he completely dodged a question on Senate Reform.Ö
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK, I saw that interview too and I thought the same thing. Although, I say we give it time. He's the most electable of the bunch and conservatives can do more in government than in opposition.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
ezbeatz wrote:
SFrank85 wrote:

I agree, she has too much baggage, right or wrong. I donít have a problem with Jim Flaherty, but a lot may. Plus, I donít get the impression that Christine is conservative enough.

Hell, Iím doubting Hudak now too! Ė In an interview with Stephen Taylor, he completely dodged a question on Senate Reform.Ö

I donít really blame him. Unfortunately, there are a lot bigger issues facing Ontario right now. I am sure he will be behind it, but he is running in Ontario, and the senate reform is not on the top of the agenda in Ontario.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
ezbeatz wrote:
SFrank85 wrote:

I don't think its a matter of being for or against Senate Reform, I just think that its a matter of him making sure that his campaign stays on the message he wants to move forward with, and not falling into pitfalls which are off message while he is trying to be elected.

His track record leads me to believe that there is little to doubt about how much of a conservative he is, and I can't blame him trying to stay on his own message within a week of throwing his hat into the ring,
Skinny Dipper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: It's Hudak's race Reply with quote

I can't picture the Ontario Conservatives picking someone who is not already in the legislature. Why pick a leader who then has to wait for a year or two to run in a by-election?

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: