Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paisley_cross

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
The only thing that matters is that you believe it and live it.

And we can get inspiration from people of all faiths, people like Mother Teresa, Archbishop Tutu and the Dalai Lama.

I don't know what religion is like today but when I was a kid religious spokesmen spent too much time arguing that theirs was the "true religion". They sounded like salesmen selling soap powder.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPP wrote:

Just more words. As the old TV commercial goes 'wheres the beef' in other words, wheres the proof and not something written by man.

I have had numerous personal experiences that I can only explain as divine. But I can't prove to you something that you don't want to be open to. But at the same time, you cannot prove that God doesn't exist either.

For me personally, it’s a mix of a lot of things – why I believe in God.

But two main things:

Common sense – Something had to create the universe and something had to create Human beings. The universe, and all things really, they are far too complex to just be.

Faith – I have been through a lot seen a lot. So much that to deny God exists is stupid.
CPP

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
CPP wrote:

Just more words. As the old TV commercial goes 'wheres the beef' in other words, wheres the proof and not something written by man.

I have had numerous personal experiences that I can only explain as divine. But I can't prove to you something that you don't want to be open to. But at the same time, you cannot prove that God doesn't exist either.

But two main things:

Common sense – Something had to create the universe and something had to create Human beings. The universe, and all things really, they are far too complex to just be.

Faith – I have been through a lot seen a lot. So much that to deny God exists is stupid.

Again, you have not proven beyond a 'shadow of doubt' that God exists or even what a God is but I cant prove that God(s) dont exist either so classify me as agnostic for the time being. But if you find comfort in this belief, then I'm happy for you.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPP wrote:
DavidK wrote:
CPP wrote:

But two main things:

Again, you have not proven beyond a 'shadow of doubt' that God exists or even what a God is but I cant prove that God(s) dont exist either so classify me as agnostic for the time being. But if you find comfort in this belief, then I'm happy for you.

I already said that I cannot prove that to you. Belief in God is a personal choice that can only be made of one's own choosing.
CPP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
CPP wrote:
DavidK wrote:
CPP wrote:

But two main things:

I already said that I cannot prove that to you. Belief in God is a personal choice that can only be made of one's own choosing.

I guess thats why they call it a 'belief' as some 'believe' it to be true but still cant prove it as such and thats OK if its of comfort to them but for many, its not and thats OK too.
Ms Duff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
Libertas wrote:
I'm an atheist, but culturally I'm a Christian Humanist.

On the question of whether God(s) exists, it's just about impossible to know for certain, even most atheists will acknowledge they can't say with 100% dedication that dieties do not exist. The only thing I'm really sure of is that all of the religions in this world are made by man and are based on cultural factors instead of celestial ones.

With the exception of Christianity.

Jesus was the son of god, or he was a liar and a fool. He can not be both. If Jesus was the true son of God, then he would be willing to sacrifice himself for humanity. If Jesus was not the real son of God, then if he was under pressure from authorities (which he was), then he would quickly renounce his views of him professing to be the son of God in order to not face certain death.

There is real proof that Jesus did exist, and was executed. Where there is difference is whether he rose from the dead on the third day or if he stayed dead. As a Christian, I believe he did rise from the dead, as there is proof from multiple sources, and from different accounts that this is true.

There is no proof that either Jesus or Moses existed (or Pilot for that matter). Historically accurate records outside of the Christian canon are scant.
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms Duff wrote:
There is no proof that either Jesus or Moses existed (or Pilot for that matter). Historically accurate records outside of the Christian canon are scant.

Secular historians will tell you that these characters are based on people who lived at the time - like there was a guy in Palestine around then claiming to be the Son of God. Whether or not he did all the things the Christian Church claims he did is, as is everything in religion, a matter of faith.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess thats why they call it a 'belief' as some 'believe' it to be true but still cant prove it as such and thats OK if its of comfort to them but for many, its not and thats OK too.

David K, don't cast your pearls before swine.

CPP wrote
Quote:
There is no proof that either Jesus or Moses existed (or Pilot for that matter). Historically accurate records outside of the Christian canon are scant

Bullshit! Just because you have never bothered to look at the historical record does not mean there is no evidence that Jesus or Moses existed. You are not an authority on the historical Christian and Jewish religions and if you were to ask historian with knowledge of the subjects they could provide lots of evidence of their existence. In my own personal studies I have found lots of evidence. Just because you are repeating the current atheist bullshit of Dawkins and the like does not make your argument valid.

Paisley Cross wrote:
Quote:
Secular historians will tell you that these characters are based on people who lived at the time - like there was a guy in Palestine around then claiming to be the Son of God. Whether or not he did all the things the Christian Church claims he did is, as is everything in religion, a matter of faith.

Exactly.
Craig Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPP wrote:
I guess thats why they call it a 'belief' as some 'believe' it to be true but still cant prove it as such

Science can't explain existence either.
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Smith wrote:
CPP wrote:
I guess thats why they call it a 'belief' as some 'believe' it to be true but still cant prove it as such

Religion is religion and science is science and ne'er the twain shall meet. Science attempts to explain how physical and biological phenomena interreact. Religion tries to tell us why it's all there in the first place - and it's not based on scientific analysis but on faith.

And they are by no means mutually exclusive.
melwilde

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defining faith is very much like trying to define beauty. It can't be done and indeed, it should not be done. If one looks around the natural beauty in our world and still can't understand the presence of God's influence, then you are missing out on the awesome grandeur of life.
CPP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paisley_cross wrote:
Craig Smith wrote:
CPP wrote:

Religion is religion and science is science and ne'er the twain shall meet. Science attempts to explain how physical and biological phenomena interreact. Religion tries to tell us why it's all there in the first place - and it's not based on scientific analysis but on faith.

And they are by no means mutually exclusive.

Exactly, thats why I'm agnostic as I just dont know but until some concrete evidence comes along, will remain skeptical about this thing called 'God'.
But if religion works for some, thats great as long as its not used to discriminate against others like Islam is doing right now, particularly to females.
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melwilde wrote:
Defining faith is very much like trying to define beauty. It can't be done and indeed, it should not be done. If one looks around the natural beauty in our world and still can't understand the presence of God's influence, then you are missing out on the awesome grandeur of life.

I don't think you have to be religious to appreciate the grandeur of the Rockies or, for that matter, the music of Mozart - as I do.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paisley_cross wrote:
Religion tries to tell us why it's all there in the first place

Science tries to tell us that too.
hatrock

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a panentheist-energist who believes that all the energy in the universe is simply God (or whatever you want to call it/him/her) manifesting from itself. "God made man in His own image" means that we are simply comprised of energy, but we have the ability through our freewill to use that energy for positive or negative results.

There are now theories that our universe was born out of possibly another universe or two "branes" colliding. This all fits easily within science and cosmology, and in fact, some ancient Eastern religions.

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth..." still holds true.

So with that, you don't need any more proof that God exists other than appreciating that we and the universe are here.

My views may change over time, yet this is dependent on scientific discoveries and theories.

That said, I don't know if science will ever explain WHY we are here, and why I don't think religion and spirituality will ever die.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

Jump to: