Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Randy Hillier to run for provincial Tory leadership Reply with quote

Hillier to run for provincial Tory leadership
Posted By Jordan Press
Posted 27 mins ago

Randy Hillier has made it official: He's in the running to be leader of the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party.

"The people of Ontario have a right to expect more from their leaders – a lot more,” Hillier, the MPP for Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox and Addington said in a media release. “When I become Premier of this province, Ontarians will not only be able to expect more, they’ll actually get more. As people who know me will tell you, I say what I mean and mean what I say.”

Hillier said he wants to introduce what he calls a Freedom of Association and Conscience Act that would allow people to "not be compelled or coerced into actions or associations they find objectionable," replace the Ontario Human Rights Commission "and other quasi-tribunals with real judges in real courts," and have an elected Senate in Ontario, according to the release.

Hillier is the second candidate to officially enter the race for the leadership. MPP Frank Klees announced his candidacy Sunday.

The leadership race will decide who will succeed John Tory after he resigned last month. Leeds-Grenville MPP Bob Runciman is filling in as interim leader until a convention in June.

http://www.thewhig.com/Article.....?e=1501828
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since he is a member of the caucus i'm not going to critise him too much , but is this really a serious bid ? and does he have any chance going up against klees , hudak and elliott ?

and outside of rural ontario will he find much support from party members ?

anyways looks like he is taking the race seriously and just launched a website , which i must say had alot of effort but into . he is not fooling around it appears .

http://www.hillierforleader.com/

he also released 3 policy ideas ( senate , freedom af association act and replace the human rights commission with judges )
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Hillier is a serious contender but I like what he's doing. It's going to put a lot of pressure on the other contenders to come up with some good policy positions.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Randy Hillier he has some great campaign ideas that I am 100% behind, however I feel that Tim Hadak will be the best candidate for the leadership position of the Ontario Conservatives.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well his bid is serious i'm not sure he has a serious chance of winning this and somehow wonder if any of the current 24 mpp's will endorse him for leader ?
as it seems like the support is headed to the other 3 main contenders , same for possible federal mp's support .
hillier is sort of the outsider i'd say . he'll get support from the grassroots members but the prefernece system will hurt him as not many from GTA or urban ridings will pick him as 1 or 2 choice .

Jump to: