Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: CBC cutting 800 jobs Reply with quote

Quote:
The CBC will slash 800 full-time jobs across the country in a bid to balance its budget but will strive to keep local stations open, the corporation’s president told employees Wednesday.

Hubert Lacroix told a town hall meeting of employees that the public broadcaster is facing a $171-million budget shortfall this fiscal year, according to CBC insiders.

He also said the CBC had been unsuccessful at convincing the federal government to give it an advance on future federal appropriations.

“We must find a way to continue to be deeply rooted in the regions,” Lacroix told thousands of employees via close-circuit TV and teleconference.

The plan is to cut about 400 jobs at the CBC, about 330 at Radio-Canada and another 70 corporate positions.

Sources who listened to the call said the layoffs are to begin in mid-May at the earliest, after management assesses how many voluntary retirements it can secure.

All layoffs would be complete by the end of September, Lacroix reportedly told staff.

About $80 million of the shortfall would be sought from English television, said one insider.

The budget for cbc.ca, the company’s popular website, would increase.

Executive salaries are being frozen at the CBC, but Lacroix maintained during the call that management bonuses would only be reduced by half — not eliminated — for the next fiscal year.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/mon.....81111.html

Downsizing the CBC is a start, but is only scratching the surface of problems with the CBC, that from a business point of view looses 1.1 billion dollars per year, and relies on a huge tax payer subsidy to survive.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight on CBC News:

Peter Mansbridge:

CBC to cut 800 jobs & the Conservatives are to blame

So really is this a dream come true moving towards the right direction or are we going to see a three billion dollar bailout package?
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what assets they'll sell off. That building in downtown Toronto has to be worth a hefty some. By the way, it looks like the Tories are going to cut the CBC budget next year by $65 million. AECL and Canada Post also look like they're going to get a 25% budget reduction.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be? Are the Conservatives finally cutting program spending??

-Mac
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:

-Mac

That's what the plan is for the next budget.

CBC - Part I - 2 - Cultural Programs - page 18
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
2009/10 - 1,052,608
2008/09 - 1,115,424
Difference - (62,816) or (5.6%)

AECL - Part I - 7 - Environment and Resources-based Program - page 21
Atomic Energy of Canada Limited
2009/10 - 108,691
2008/09 - 152,273
Difference - (43,582) or (28.6%)

Canada Post - Part I - 10 - General Government Services - page 38
Canada Post Corporation
2009/10 - 72,210
2008/09 - 97,210
Difference - (25,000) or (25.7%)

Last edited by ezbeatz on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
Quote:

No it's not true, the CBC this year has received more funding than on any other, Harper is merely denying the CBC extra cash on top of extra cash.

Ps: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
ezbeatz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would fee for carriage help the CBC?
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

layoffs at the cbc ? that is something we haven't heard in a while . cbc's problems have likely been building for a while . and they should of seen this day coming .

they need to find ways to become more competive and relavent in this modern media era .
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are they complaining when every other news media is felling the effects? Just because you are funded by the tax payer does not mean you should receive a bailout.

The funny thing is why is the CBC really cutting 800 jobs? They receive more funding this year than they did last year, and with the economic crisis, costs have decreased. Are they really desperate, or is this a political move by the CBC?
machiavelli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than annually increasing funding for the far-left bias CBC a legitimate small-c fiscal, social, and/or judicial conservative Canadian Prime Minister would immediate eradicate this left bias, bimbo-driven English and French embarrassment called the Comrade Broadcasting Corporation (CBC). If not abolished, this far-left bias corporation should join the pay-for-view society thereby allowing the extreme left to continue watching/listening to the CBC’s fanatical, radical left-bias debris. The government must insist that the CBC sell all of its assets, not only $125 million, and that it MUST RETURN the funds to the government.

Canadians voted for what we thought was the above mention conservative PM however, surprise, surprise, we currently have a left-plunging fiscal liberal who is inflicting us with a structural, long term, deficit which is generational thief.

In an age of numerous Canadian television and radio networks, satellite networks, and of course the internet, there is no longer any requisite for a government-owned, and tax payers paid for, TV and/or radio network; especially one ran by left-wing affirmative action bimbos and watched/ listened to mostly by the far-left, but paid for my people who actually work for a living and pay taxes.

Selling, or re-structuring the CBC into pay for view channels plus other crown corporations, abolishing lower priority programs, laying off bureaucrats, freezing government employees' wages, decreasing by one-third the total immigration and refugee intakes, and selling other assets would create a substantial fund that could then be used to permanently cut the payroll tax. Since this tax cut would immediately show up in your salary, it would efficiently stimulate the economy more rapidly than any non-ready infrastructure projects or many of the other long-term deficit creating programs. Many of the suggested programs in the current budget include a lot of non-stimulating, long-term, structural deficit spending which is generational theft.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
...The funny thing is why is the CBC really cutting 800 jobs? They receive more funding this year than they did last year, and with the economic crisis, costs have decreased. Are they really desperate, or is this a political move by the CBC?

I believe other than politics and optics, it is partially because advertising revenues are down. A friend of mine works in advertising at the CBC and her contract most likely not going to be renewed. Last time we spoke i was trying to convince her that CBC radio 1, 2, and 3 should start selling commercials to fund themselves, and it would create many good jobs in finding unexplored advertising revenues at the CBC.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's 800 new volunteers for the Liberal Party of Canada
ezbeatz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machiavelli, your s/n does disservice to the true Machiavelli. You don't just need a conservative PM, you need a majority of Conservative MPs to axe the CBC. And remember, the CBC is part of the media. They have a lot more power than the opposition so you have to (how do you say) be Machiavellian about taking them apart.
ezbeatz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
That's 800 new volunteers for the Liberal Party of Canada

330 of those are from the Radio-Quebecois.
melwilde

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from two months away from Canada and the CBC cuts are my first read.
What a very welcome return. Just think 800 hundred less folks at the trough of ugly broadcasting.
While I do admit that it's always nice to come home from visiting a goup of Banana republics, this has made me almost speachless. I used to think that every organization that closed needed someone left who would know how to turn out the lights. In the case of CBC they never had a light on, so I guess they don't need anyone.
Would anyone mind if I suggest that the 800 cuts begin at the top and work down??

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: