Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Rumour: Harper disses libertarians at Manning Conference Reply with quote

Between Stephen Taylor's twitter feeds, and the impressions of Mike Brock, attending the Manning Centre's Conference, it's starting to look like Harper had some nasty things to say about libertarian leaning conservatives:

Mike Brock, in comments wrote:
I can confirm that Harper, did indeed trash libertarians. I was in the room. Stephen Taylor clearly saw the look on my face when he took pot shots at libertarians as I was only a few yards his left.

In one breath, Harper said he sympathized with libertarian ideals. In the other breath, he goes on to say we're essentially naive and how his government's populist approach is the only sensible way forward.

He also went on to compare libertarians to the Wall Street bankers who he asserted caused this problem, drawing a connection between the libertarian position for less regulation and the Wall Street lobbying for less regulation.

He essentially said libertarians want less regulation, but then want government handouts when they get themselves into trouble.

He also noted Canada will come out of this recession a stronger, "well regulated economy".

I will blog on this soon.
Source.
I'm disturbed by this development, but awaiting more information before I say more. It doesn't seem like a transcript will be forthcoming, unfortunately.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was talking about ideologues and their inflexibility which doesn`t work in politics.

In the past Harper`s described himself as libertarian so keep that in mind.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Harper is going to disrespect libertarians he might just as well handed the keys to Sussex Drive over to Michael Ignatieff. Because if people are going want a Liberal Party they are going to vote Liberal & not a Conservative Party being Liberal. So how much time does Canada have before we are declared an Oligarchy?
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a National Post article with some quotes:

http://www.nationalpost.com/ne.....id=1383013

I personally agree with his statements in the article.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any body got a link to the speech? Some bloggers are making a really big deal out of it and I want to see firsthand what he said.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with PMSH's statements in the National Post article.

Is this not a libertarian-conservative statement?
PMSH "Conservatives don't believe big government - the welfare state - is the solution to all problems. We didn't believe it before the recession. We're not about to start believing it now."

Mike Brock's post on this on the Western Standard
http://westernstandard.blogs.c.....ility.html
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah - you guys sound like the Liberal media waiting to pounce on any statement he says. If you give enough speeches you will offend many many groups at least once. Aren't liberatarians supposed to be laid back?
JDot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Jane Tabor write this post... 8)

Edit..

FF_Canuck no disrespect.

Last edited by JDot on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
JDot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Bah - you guys sound like the Liberal media waiting to pounce on any statement he says. If you give enough speeches you will offend many many groups at least once. Aren't liberatarians supposed to be laid back?

Co-sign..
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

I thought I was pretty clear that I was reserving judgement until I had a better idea of what was actually said. And I'm probably not so much a full-blown libertarian as a libertarian-conservative. Looking to see what's out there now...
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, someone agrees with me, and it is the Prime Minister.
JDot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
Finally, someone agrees with me, and it is the Prime Minister.

Can you expand on that post SFrank85 :?
JDot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Craig wrote:

I thought I was pretty clear that I was reserving judgement until I had a better idea of what was actually said. And I'm probably not so much a full-blown libertarian as a libertarian-conservative. Looking to see what's out there now...

Does anyone have the full transcript of PM Harper's speech?

I get libertarians who hate PM Harper for other issues, are sensetive, but we need a full transcript of the speech..

From what(no Harper fan)David Aiken wrote , the PM was on point IMHO. But reading the libertarians view, it seems like PM Harper shot there dog.. 8)

So can we get a full transcript from someone who was there, and does not have a axe to grind with PM Harper, that would be great... :wink:
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very consistent in my support for Harper. What ever disagreements I've had with the CPCs move to the centre have not changed my belief that he's the best Prime Minister we've had in decades.

I was shocked by what I was hearing, especially from a man who was once a follower of Hayek. Further, it's hard to believe his remarks on what caused the US recession are genuine - it's pretty much word for word what left-wing pundits and leaders are saying the world over.

As for transcripts - CP apparently has a recording, but Harper's office is allegedly refusing to release a copy of his remarks to media or anyone else. So I doubt those of us who weren't there will know what he said.
JDot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
I've been very consistent in my support for Harper. What ever disagreements I've had with the CPCs move to the centre have not changed my belief that he's the best Prime Minister we've had in decades.

I was shocked by what I was hearing, especially from a man who was once a follower of Hayek. Further, it's hard to believe his remarks on what caused the US recession are genuine - it's pretty much word for word what left-wing pundits and leaders are saying the world over.

As for transcripts - CP apparently has a recording, but Harper's office is allegedly refusing to release a copy of his remarks to media or anyone else. So I doubt those of us who weren't there will know what he said.

Thanks FF_Canuck, very interesting..

But to be frank, it is 2009, this is a very different world then when Hayek was speaking. If this market correction did not have anything to do with the Banking system I would be shocked by what the Government is doing..

But I am sorry, this is the first global market correction in history that national economies are so linked...

Hayek,Friedman,Burke and Keynes lived in a different time and world, then what we are living in now..IMHO.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: