Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

can the conservatives win back quebec ?
yes
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
only hold what they have / minor gains
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
no
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: can the conservatives win back quebec ? Reply with quote

its been a wild ride for the conservatives in that province although there total of seats there has stayed about the same at 10 . there was talk last year of major conservative breakthru's there only for them not to materialise during a tough election in quebec where conservative policy didn't seem to connect with the locals and the bloc quebecois managed to survive as its always does . ( this winter we also saw the demise of the right of centre ADQ at the provincial level and leader mario dumont left politics )
quebec was also the only province where the bizare coalition idea was popular in the polls . there has also been talk that the liberals may be recovering a bit from some of the damage done there from the sponsorship scandal and dion's disasterous leadership .

with quebec being such a violitle province politically what do you think are the conservatives long range propects there or in the next election ? i'm not from there or that familar with some of the ridings there .

on the policy issue , what kind of conservative policies would have more appeal there then some of the other ones which didn't seem to ?
NorthernRaven

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conservatives will NOT win a Majority of Quebec seats, but they can win many more off-island.

Basically all they have to do is act like Conservatives, lower taxes, encourage development of the resource sector, and granting Quebec (and all other provences) autonomy within a Strong United Canada. We can easily gain up to 20 seats, with marginal improvements from the results of the last election.

We have to say, hey rural Quebec, you are welcome to sit at the Government table, so send some CPC members NOT those Seperatists, cause that will help their communities.
plantguy

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Quebec is a black hole where political hopes go to die. They may flirt a bit with the Cons, but at the end of the day they always seem to go home to the Bloc. More fertile ground lies in Ontario.
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think Quebec is a black hole where political hopes go to die. They may flirt a bit with the Cons, but at the end of the day they always seem to go home to the Bloc. More fertile ground lies in Ontario.

I agree, Quebecers are just teases'.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthernRaven wrote:
The Conservatives will NOT win a Majority of Quebec seats, but they can win many more off-island.

Basically all they have to do is act like Conservatives, lower taxes, encourage development of the resource sector, and granting Quebec (and all other provences) autonomy within a Strong United Canada. We can easily gain up to 20 seats, with marginal improvements from the results of the last election.

We have to say, hey rural Quebec, you are welcome to sit at the Government table, so send some CPC members NOT those Seperatists, cause that will help their communities.

Well no party will win quebec entirely , it usually splits between a number of different parties , even the bloc has usually been limited at 50 of possible 75 seats . and liberals during the 90's and 2000 election were still limited to just over 30 seats .

Pushing the government aspect might help in some ridings where that would be seen as an advantage ( especially rural or economically hard off ridings ) although the bloc still does good in some of those and they have no chance of being in power realisticlaly . but conservatives have also done good in some of those ridings and those were where they still came in second last election as well , ridings in northern quebec i noticed they were still strong ( Chicoutimi and Abitibi james bay nunavik being 2 examples ) .

Think some good policy might help in the rest of quebec , the party needs to offer them something they like and that gets them to look at the conservatives in a more positive way . ( this policy or what every they offer would have to have appeal in the rest of canada as well as we don't want to be seen as just trying to only appeal to quebec )
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a federal version of the ADQ in Quebec which is separate from the Conservatives.

This way they can appeal to the "Quebec nation" with an "autonomist" stance, while voting with the CPC 90% of the time (and supporting a CPC minority government).
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plantguy wrote:

Well i think that is an interesting way of looking at it , but i think the conservatives could win over more of quebec if they were able to show to them that it was in there best interest and that the conservative party respected quebec's values and culture . which is allready does but the bloc and other opposition parties were successful at twisting it the other way and making the conservatives look like outsiders . and the coaliton didn't help things or did the plains of abraham incident .

But i don't think all is lost and also the conservative party cannot afford to lose any seats in quebec or any hopes of a majority would fade . so its in the parties best interest to try and figure things out there and find a way to be more effective .

Its funny how things change cause a year ago at this time more fertile ground lied in quebec and some wondered if the cpc might lose some ontario seats .
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the more important question is, do Conservatives want to? I think it can fairly be said that no concession will ever be enough for Quebec, no payment will ever be enough, nothing will ever be enough. So why bother?
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
I think the more important question is, do Conservatives want to? I think it can fairly be said that no concession will ever be enough for Quebec, no payment will ever be enough, nothing will ever be enough. So why bother?

quebec brings with it some issues for sure as its recent history has shown , but the conservative party is a national party and if it does not have seats in quebec it becomes much less of a national party and its chances of being in power decrease significantly . look back to the 2006 election and the numbers , if the conservatives had not won those 10 seats in quebec the party would of barely had enough to form a government and had one of the smallest minorities in canadian history .
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservatives reorganize
Mathieu Turbide Mathieu Turbide
Le Journal de Montréal Le Journal de Montreal
08/03/2009 07h42 08/03/2009 07h42

Quebec Conservative activists are hopeful that their new organization will enable a machine to make better-oiled for the next federal election.

The new political lieutenant of Stephen Harper in Quebec, the Minister Christian Paradis, met with more than 300 leaders of local associations, yesterday, at two meetings in Québec City and Boucherville. . "It's much more than we expected," said the minister Journal, to its removal from the meeting held at the Hotel Mortagne in Boucherville. Près de 175 militants y sont venus rencontrer le ministre et la nouvelle directrice des opérations du parti au Québec, Claude Durand. Nearly 175 activists came to meet the minister and the new director of operations of the party in Quebec, Claude Durand.

But that's different: we have troops on the ground in all regions who want to work. Il faut maintenant s'organiser et c'est ce travail-là qu'on commence avec nos rencontres d'aujourd'hui », a expliqué le ministre, qui est député de Mégantic-L'Érable. Now we must organize and work-this is where we start our meetings today, "said the minister, who is MP for Mégantic-L'Érable.

Activists "motivated"

In Quebec, in the morning, then in Boucherville afternoon, the militants have been explaining the new structure of the conservative organization that will revolve around the new regional councils, which have a mandate "to occupy the ground ".

I think the party is being reborn in Quebec, with Mr. Paradis and Ms. Durand too. . It motivates us a lot, we, activists of the party that is serious in its desire to reorganize in Quebec, "said Georgette reacted Saint-Onge, president of the conservative Association of Joliette, in Lanaudière.

The next step, according to Christian Paradis, will focus on finding candidates. . The team assembled by Stephen Harper in Quebec during the election last December was not impressed. . "This is our next challenge. . Previously, it was run by one person for all of Canada. , a souligné M. Paradis. Now we have Claude Durand who will deal specifically with Quebec, "said Mr. Paradis.

. The Conservative Party has about 22 000 members in Quebec and is a much better position today than in 2005-2006, while the staff does not much exceed 1000 members.

( sorry a rough translation from french to english , but it gives us an idea as to what the conservatives are doing in quebec as they attempt to rebuild and gain new seats in the province )
mr12387

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:

Quebec Conservative activists are hopeful that their new organization will enable a machine to make better-oiled for the next federal election.

I think the party needs to continue along that same road for other provinces/regions as well. As an example, I think we could certainly benefit from a GTA-specific organization. NFLD would be another example, but I'm not sure if that would just fall on deaf ears over there.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Quebec were to separate we would have had back to back majorities. Here's to hoping....
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
quebec brings with it some issues for sure as its recent history has shown , but the conservative party is a national party and if it does not have seats in quebec it becomes much less of a national party and its chances of being in power decrease significantly . look back to the 2006 election and the numbers , if the conservatives had not won those 10 seats in quebec the party would of barely had enough to form a government and had one of the smallest minorities in canadian history .

Even with the 10 seats the 126/308 seats the Conservatives had was the smallest government in Canadian history as well as being the longest serving minority government. Quite an accomplishment.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things the Conservatives have to address

1) the Quebec media (especially Radio-Canada aka French CBC)

It's a well known fact that Radio-Canada is stacked with left wing Bloc supporters who absolutely hate the Conservatives for all they stand for. It'd be beautiful if they could get axed but that's not going to happen unless the Tories get a majority and that's not going to happen until they win more seats in Quebec and that's not likely to happen until they address the Quebec media. It's an endless cycle I know but they have to have a Quebec war room that deals solely in Quebec and spends a lot of their time with the media.

2) equalization

You can't have a situation where you're constantly funneling money from other parts of the country in order to favors in return from Quebec. It's not fair and its bad national politics. Quebecers have to realize they're part of Canada and doesn't mean a blank check every 12 months.

After those two issues are addressed, I think the Conservatives really have to stress the benefits of their policies. Elected senators, lower taxes, tough on crime legislation, etc.
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Quote:

Exactly, we should just back off and let them vote for us if they decide to and if they don't, well there no sense pissing off the rest of the country for no votes (you can't buy Quebecers votes).

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: