Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Public School System Reply with quote

Since John Tory's running in a by-election and one of the main reasons why he and the OPC's lost the last provincial election was because of religious school funding. I think the policy is bunkers and certainly terrible optics but the baseline concept is sound.

My parents never wanted me to go to public schools (I wonder why). We weren't rich so they scraped every penny they could to send me to private schools. I spent four years in three different private schools. The last was a high school which was Christian but it was also very good academically.

Anyways, this is my idea. Every parent that sends their child to a private school will receive a $2,000 voucher or income tax cut (their choice). The private school needs to be accredited by the province. There are no limits on how many children in each family qualify nor are there limits on which families qualify. The government would also provide low interest loans for private schools to start up.

It's a simple policy, easy to explain, easy to defend, and I believe it would get a broad level of support. The increase in payouts would be offset by a reduction in spending for the public school system. Let me know what you think.
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's a good idea, though what private schools should qualify is where the problems start.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a voucher system for approved private schools is a good idea.

And that parents who send their children to private schools such as a Christian school shouldn't have to pay municipal taxes to the public or separate school system.

This would be true choice in schooling other then the 4 funded choices we now how in Ontario that are mandatory to fund even if you choose other schooling options for your children.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:
I think that it's a good idea, though what private schools should qualify is where the problems start.

Any private school that's recognized by the provincial government and in keeping with provincial educational standards.
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any private school that's recognized by the provincial government

Yep, but how do you decide which ones get recognized? Logically me and you could decide easily but in real life this would cause problems.
ezbeatz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:
Yep, but how do you decide which ones get recognized? Logically me and you could decide easily but in real life this would cause problems.

Not really. In order to graduate with a elementary of secondary school diploma your school has to meet the academic requirements of the province. Whatever schools meet those requirements, their student would be eligible for vouchers.
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not really. In order to graduate with a elementary of secondary school diploma your school has to meet the academic requirements of the province. Whatever schools meet those requirements, their student would be eligible for vouchers.

Ya but things always change when "public funding" gets involved.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the most effective way to run a voucher system, is simply to determine an amount of funding that will follow each student, public or private. Public schools must run entirely on the per-student funding. Private schools get the per-student funding, plus whatever additional funds they get from parents. Every parent pays the same taxes, because every child gets the same amount of funding.
ezbeatz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
IMO, the most effective way to run a voucher system, is simply to determine an amount of funding that will follow each student, public or private. Public schools must run entirely on the per-student funding. Private schools get the per-student funding, plus whatever additional funds they get from parents. Every parent pays the same taxes, because every child gets the same amount of funding.

I would prefer to eventually move to a fully privatized education system. If you have private/public then you're going to have a two-tier system and obviously those in the public school system are going to lose out.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every child gets the same amount of funding from the government - how much more a child gets in a private school will be based entirely on his or her parents. Two tier schooling already exists, the voucher system just makes it fair to homeschoolers and private school users who currently pay taxes for services their children can't use. It will also give more parents a real choice in their children's education. Think of the parents who would like to send their children to a different school, but can't quite afford it - in a system where all the funding follows students, they can afford it.

That said, I do agree that education should be private. It's one of those things that will never come to pass, but the above voucher system is a step in that direction.

Jump to: