Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanM

votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Civil Defense in Canada. Reply with quote

Leading from the thread of missile defense -

Let us take a look at developing an effective civil defense scheme for Canada.

They key points we will have to discuss of course are;

Legal Framework
Emergency Laws
Roles and Responsibilities
Succession
Potential Threats
Equipment
Training
Cost
Emergency Planning
Intergovernmental Affairs
Government Oversight
Relationship with the Provinces.

So, let us all weigh in shall we?
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a huge topic, and I think that on the federal level at least, we are woefully underprepared to deal with major disasters. That said, the government's recent efforts on promoting 72 Hour emergency kits is a step in the right direction - given the sheer size of our country, Canadians should be prepared to do as much for themselves without government assistance as possible.

The matter of jursidiction and the responsibility of the various levels of government is to me, the starting point for the discussion. For a variety of reasons, I would suggest that the primary responsiblity for large disasters lay with the provinces, and each should develop a civil defense framework based around their specific needs. The feds would be best used primarily as a consultant and provider of resources, though they should have some capacity to manage a disaster on a province's behalf, in the case of local request and/or incompetence.

Hurricane Katrina was instructive in this regard - while the government of Missisipi understood their role and performed it fairly well, the administration of Louisiana was *not* as well prepared, and FEMA was never set up to perform it for them.
IanM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this describes our emergency preparedness situation;

http://www.filibustercartoons......-prepared/

Katrina was bad because of multi jurisdiction issues. The same thing will happen to us.
If we downgrade the role of emergency planning to the provinces we will not have a national standard, like most things. We would need large amounts of oversight if we do allow the provinces to take the lead.

I think this should be a federal issue, funded from the federal budget in conjunction with the provinces. It perhaps should be a 50/50 solution, however, I agree with the matter of jurisdiction and responsibility as a start to the discussion.

So let us begin shall we?

How do we address the matter of jurisdiction and responsibility? I would suggest that we start to frame it. Perhaps what we need to do is take a look at it this way. A hurricane is not a national emergency, a nuclear attack is. So, hurricane planning is a provincial responsibility, while nuclear attacks are a federal one. (Change the words to what you want here, I'm just comparing and contrasting.)

The huge problem is that niggling little document called the Constitution Act of 1982.

How do we get around that?
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Civil Defense in Canada. Reply with quote

IanM wrote:
Leading from the thread of missile defense -

Let us take a look at developing an effective civil defense scheme for Canada.

They key points we will have to discuss of course are;

Legal Framework
Emergency Laws
Roles and Responsibilities
Succession
Potential Threats
Equipment
Training
Cost
Emergency Planning
Intergovernmental Affairs
Government Oversight
Relationship with the Provinces.

So, let us all weigh in shall we?

I think we are not that ready because we don't really face that many serious threats. I think the earthquake danger on the west coast is about it. There is always a terrorist attack, but if they could launch it in Toronto, Buffalo or Detroit are only a few hours away - and you get twice the Jihad points.

Suppose I forgot a meltdown...but they are rather rare.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each item on your list has the potential to be a book... Getting cooperation from the various levels of government to even discuss each would be an accomplishment. The first thing that has to happen before anything concrete could happen is to get off the election readiness rollercoaster.

-Mac
IanM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a white paper is in order?
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanM: on the issue of cost we could try to get the rich/public to donate the money directly into the program. I believe this is going on in the UK right now, it gives the rich a chance to serve their country.
Mac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanM wrote:
Perhaps a white paper is in order?

I would say a series of white papers. The trouble would be getting the right people to read them.

-Mac
IanM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the latest situation in the world, I think its time we reopened this discussion, and expanded it to talk about emergency preparedness.

So far our government has not done much other than to issue a travel advisory.

Pandemics are not pretty, we only need to look at the Spanish Flu, which hit after the end of the First World War.

What has our government done to prepare? What plans are there if this does hit here? How can we plan at this current moment? How can we prepare?

How do we stack up against other countries?

I welcome your thoughts and opinions.
Mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanM wrote:
I welcome your thoughts and opinions.

The biggest problem with governments embracing emergency preparedness wholeheartedly would be implementation. As a rule of thumb, as soon as governments take interest in something, the price tags start growing... and the regulations and taxation follow...

I hate to think the noble cause of emergency preparedness would add yet another layer of bureaucracy onto our overtaxed nation but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what would happen, especially if it were the federal government who was leading the charge.

-Mac

Jump to: