Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds


CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect



  

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Wildrose Alliance Party replace the Alberta PC Party?
Yes - As long as they Govern as Small C Conservatives
73%
 73%  [ 11 ]
No - The PC's should govern forever
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
No - Let the Alberta Liberals take a turn at governing
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author Message
NorthernRaven





Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 160
Reputation: 22.8Reputation: 22.8
votes: 2
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Monte Solberg for Wildrose Alliance Reply with quote

I ask you folks from Alberta (I'm a NLer so we've got our own problems), but does Alberta need to shake up its provincial politics and get a new Conservative party in power, or at least as Strong Opposition?

And would Monte Solberg be the excellent candidate to bring Wildrose Alliance into the mainstream?
FF_Canuck





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 3360
Reputation: 73.4
votes: 17
Location: Southern Alberta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually had the chance to meet Paul Hinman (the current leader), and he's a great guy. He's an excellent spokesman for small-c conservatism, and I see how he was able to first win his seat. It took multiple visits from Stelmach et al in the last campaign (and allegedly, threats of witholding services and funding from the riding) to defeat him by less than 60 votes...

That said, a Wildrose Alliance breakthrough will take more than even a super-star candidate like Solberg. For one, the bulk of Albertan CPC activists are generally part of the Alberta PC organization, which really shrinks their potential base. Another is that the WA has essentially no penetration in the cities - they were competitive with the oppos everywhere else they ran, but ran behind the greens in the cities. I don't think it's impossible, but if they can do it, it's going to take several election cycles.
hatrock





Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Posts: 489
Reputation: 73

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually spoke with Monte last summer and hinted he should run for premier someday. He wasn't non-responsive to the idea.

I think if the Wildrose Alliance (what a stupid name by the way) were more viable (and had a better name!) it could attract better candidates. I just couldn't vote for the guy in my riding as he was still in school!

I also told Monte that I liked him better in opposition as finance critic. He agreed for the most part.

Or, take over the Alberta Liberal Party and move it to the right.
Craig
Site Admin




Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Posts: 4415
Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had arranged to meet with one of the senior administrators with that party for lunch so that we could discuss how I could help their web presense on a volunteer basis. The guy didn't show up. That tells me something about that party. It would take someone like Monte to make that party a real contender.
First Lady





Joined: 04 Nov 2007
Posts: 103
Reputation: 32.9Reputation: 32.9Reputation: 32.9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick stop to say thanks for the poll, it came up my automated google search.

I will respond in a more detail later; despite what seems to be an over all opinion here; we are a very active party. :D

And Craig, you know where to reach me. ;)


Cheers,
Jane Morgan
Executive Director
WAP

ps: Shouldn't this be under "Provincial Politics"
SFrank85





Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 2269
Reputation: 59.8
votes: 4
Location: Toronto - Scarborough Southwest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything to shake things up. I am of the mind that if your government is doing a good job, then why kick them out? The PC governments over the past 30+ years have done a reasonably good job. However they can become too accustomed to power, which is a very bad thing. The only problem in Alberta is once you have been defeated as a government, you never govern again!
FF_Canuck





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 3360
Reputation: 73.4
votes: 17
Location: Southern Alberta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
Anything to shake things up. I am of the mind that if your government is doing a good job, then why kick them out? The PC governments over the past 30+ years have done a reasonably good job. However they can become too accustomed to power, which is a very bad thing. The only problem in Alberta is once you have been defeated as a government, you never govern again!


The PCs really started to lose their way after Ralph's second term, IMO. I've got little good to say about Stelmach, and he's really hurt the province with his short-sighted attacks on the oil and gas industry. The problem with our monolithic governments is that they invariably attract big government centrists with with their success.
Craig
Site Admin




Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Posts: 4415
Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Lady wrote:
Just a quick stop to say thanks for the poll, it came up my automated google search.


Wow - BT rocks. Do a Google search for "Wildrose Alliance" and this post comes up on the first page...

http://www.google.ca/search?cl.....gle+Search
FF_Canuck





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 3360
Reputation: 73.4
votes: 17
Location: Southern Alberta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. When I run the search, BT doesn't even show up in the first two pages.
NorthernRaven





Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 160
Reputation: 22.8Reputation: 22.8
votes: 2
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome Jane,

I brought up this topic after listening to some podcast on AM 770 of Paul Hinnman, and like the business world even politics needs some healthy competition to improve its delivery of services. And particularly in Alberta where you could have a healthy competitive right lening dialogue between provincial parties.

I placed it in Canadian Politics, cause frankly that's the category that gathers the more interesting discussions. Sorry I can't help you guys in Alberta, I'm a NLer in Ontario, so I've got my hands full dealing with our own provincial party issues. But if I end up working out there, I'll give you guys a shout.
First Lady





Joined: 04 Nov 2007
Posts: 103
Reputation: 32.9Reputation: 32.9Reputation: 32.9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthernRaven wrote:
And would Monte Solberg be the excellent candidate to bring Wildrose Alliance into the mainstream?


I don’t follow federal politics as much as I should, but I do like Monty. I was a regular reader of his blog and in fact it is what spurred me on to start my blog.

IMO he would be a good fit with our party.

FF_Canuck wrote:
That said, a Wildrose Alliance breakthrough will take more than even a super-star candidate like Solberg. For one, the bulk of Albertan CPC activists are generally part of the Alberta PC organization, which really shrinks their potential base.

I think you might be surprised by how many have either fully switched or carry memberships in both parties.

Quote:
Another is that the WA has essentially no penetration in the cities - they were competitive with the oppos everywhere else they ran, but ran behind the greens in the cities. I don't think it's impossible, but if they can do it, it's going to take several election cycles.


Huh? I am have not looked at Edmonton in detail, but in Calgary (where we ran in 22 of 23 constituencies) we finished ahead of the Greens in all but one (Currie) and we finished ahead of the NDP in all but 2 (Fort and North Hill) the latter being where I ran. My pulling in fourth was one of the poorer results for our party.

Also the greatest increase in our member base over the last two years has come from urban areas.

hatrock wrote:
I think if the Wildrose Alliance (what a stupid name by the way) were more viable (and had a better name!) it could attract better candidates.


Yeah, the name is a mixed thing. Sad that there is so much emphasis put on a label, but clearly it is a hindrance, just ask the Liberals. Draw back to changing is the rebranding process without losing people because they don’t think the party they knew exists anymore.

Quote:
I just couldn't vote for the guy in my riding as he was still in school!
That’s funny. The MLA in my area is barely out of school.
I think our current slate of PC MLA's provide plenty of proof that age is no guarantee of intelligence.

Quote:
Or, take over the Alberta Liberal Party and move it to the right.

Wouldn’t that be the WAP?

Craig wrote:
I had arranged to meet with one of the senior administrators with that party for lunch so that we could discuss how I could help their web presense on a volunteer basis. The guy didn't show up. That tells me something about that party. It would take someone like Monte to make that party a real contender.


I know who you are speaking of and what happened subsequently should tell you it was more about the person than the party. We can certainly discuss this further in private.

On a sort of related note though. I know a certain blogger (not me) who requested during the last federal election to be added to the Blogging Tories scroll…… still waiting…
:P
FF_Canuck





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 3360
Reputation: 73.4
votes: 17
Location: Southern Alberta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First_Lady wrote:
I think you might be surprised by how many have either fully switched or carry memberships in both parties.

Oh, probably not that suprised... I'd be one of the former, but I've been keeping it under my hat (for now).
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1

  


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Monte Solberg for Wildrose Alliance

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB