Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why have no wind farms been charged?
Clear double standard.
100%
 100%  [ 6 ]
500 ducks is serious, thousands of other birds is minor.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Why not wind farms? Reply with quote

Syncrude is being charged for killing birds. Wind farms are not. Why is this?

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/s.....arges.html
http://www.birdlife.org/news/n.....orway.html
http://www.newwest.net/topic/a.....s/C41/L41/
http://www.altenergystocks.com.....wrest.html

Wind farms look like a danger to anything that flies; bats, eagles, endangered and protected species. Yet for some reason, the wind farms get the free pass.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has 2 large wind turbines on his farmland north of Shelbourne ON, the cattle graze under the units, where there is very little noise. He has yet to find a dead bird under one of the wind turbines, I believe birds should get more credit for their flying skills then the anti wind farm people give them. Other myths like the giant fans drying out the land have not happened on his farm ... and the royalty cheques are quite nice so he tells me.

With that said the wind farms of Ontario generate a very small percentage of our overall power 7 MW total in wind power, as compared to the 10,000 plus MW being generated this moment by OPG.

http://www.opg.com/power/

Wind power is only a token of alternative power, nuclear power is the future of Power in Ontario.

With that said there is only so much we can do to minimize wildlife deaths from human impacts from energy sources on the land, nuclear creates heat plumes in the lakes, hydro lines are a hazzard to hawks and eagles, hydro electric dams are a hazzard to aquatic life, ect.

The Oil sands should not be charged unless it was a true case of neglect of their required bird deterring system in place, most likely there was a failure of the system itself. I believe the charge was due to pressure from the anti oil sands people, not from neglect.
LabradorGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind Energy is a drop in the bucket compared to our real needs in energy. In the province of Ontario actually want to increase the availability of cheap energy, they should be openning new Coal Fire Plants, as that is still and will be the cheapest and quickest form of Base Load Electricity.

But then again who wants to live in a productive and prosperous provence.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coal power plants were closed by Lieberal Premier Dalton McGuinty as promised .... ummm wait a minute ... the promise has been delayed ... Nuclear power generation will be replacing Coal power plants in Ontario ... eventually ... maybe ...

http://www.ontariopowergenerat.....erview.asp
Jeff

Reputation: 6.1Reputation: 6.1Reputation: 6.1Reputation: 6.1Reputation: 6.1Reputation: 6.1
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't hold my breath, nuclear power just makes too much sense for a leftist Premier to promote it...
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not McGuinty is actually planning to add to our nuclear generation capacity by building a new plant.

While I support wind power, I'd like to see a solution to dealing with the dangers they present to bats.

Some studies have shown that the windmills cause a sudden drop in air pressure which the lungs of bats have difficulty coping with.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not wind farms? Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Syncrude is being charged for killing birds. Wind farms are not. Why is this?

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/s.....arges.html
http://www.birdlife.org/news/n.....orway.html
http://www.newwest.net/topic/a.....s/C41/L41/
http://www.altenergystocks.com.....wrest.html

Wind farms look like a danger to anything that flies; bats, eagles, endangered and protected species. Yet for some reason, the wind farms get the free pass.

Wind farms causing massive bird deaths is a myth. Anything sticking in the air kills birds, from antennas to cellphone towers to power lines. The actual number from wind farms is negligible.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are ugly.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
They are ugly.

Not as ugly as your avatar :-)
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
They are ugly.

I can't argue against that. There are other concerns cropping up about the vibrations which windmills produce causing concerns plus the electromagnetic fields from the high-voltage wires connecting windmills to the power grid.

-Mac
Forward

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support the construction of wind farms (as well as nuclear power plants). Wind farms may be simply a drop in the bucket but that does not mean they are unwelcome.

As far as the danger to birds and bats, these are problems that will be studied further and acted upon. They are not problems that should prevent us from taking advantage of such a resource.
fiscalconservative

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
Craig wrote:
They are ugly.

I can't argue against that. There are other concerns cropping up about the vibrations which windmills produce causing concerns plus the electromagnetic fields from the high-voltage wires connecting windmills to the power grid.

-Mac

I live in an area getting wind farms, and I have heard all that. Yes they are ugly, but so are Hugo Chavez and Mamoud Amadeema...whatever. Unlike those two, they don't have big mouths and are not looking for nuclear weapons. I would much rather give money to people who build wind turbines (and pay taxes) than people who arm terrorists.

As for electromagnetic fields...they come from everywhere. They also dissapate rapidly with distance. You would get much more exposure from your ipod or the computer you are siting at. Since there are very few urban wind farms (Toronto's lakshore tower might be the rare exception).

As for this vibrations causing illness crap.....same principle. My heater is causing vibrations, the harddrive in my computer....the cars going by....the compressor in my refrigerator. They vibrate me more than a distant wind farm.

Yes Wind farms are ugly, but all the other objections are junk science.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiscalconservative wrote:
I live in an area getting wind farms, and I have heard all that. Yes they are ugly, but so are Hugo Chavez and Mamoud Amadeema...whatever. Unlike those two, they don't have big mouths and are not looking for nuclear weapons. I would much rather give money to people who build wind turbines (and pay taxes) than people who arm terrorists.

You seem to be suggesting that those are the only two choices.
fiscalconservative

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
fiscalconservative wrote:

You seem to be suggesting that those are the only two choices.

No.....my first choice is hydro and my second would be nuclear. We have exhausted most of our potential hydro though, and nuclear plants can only supply a certain percentage of the power before they become uneconomical.

Solar is a loser(research is good though). Coal is dirty.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If succesful energy from mini black holes could be an alternate power source, but it is an unproven technology yet to be tested. Though the worst case scenerio is that it goes out of control & everything gets sucked in.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: