Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Top 5 Majority "givens" Reply with quote

Just wondering what the top 5 new policies would be (not what we HOPE would happen, but what is a relative "given") if the Conservatives were to get a majority next election.

1. Senate Reform

Personally I'm a bit confused with what we're seeing these days. I can't start the list.

Maybe Senate reform.... I'll add that.

But what FORWARD THINKING CONSERVATIVE policies to raise Canada's profile and increase the PRIDE and PATRIOTISM we seem to be missing in our Country?

How do we make our Country more wealthy with better and happier lives? More time for our families (without losing productivity). Less time worrying about money and keeping our job? More opportunity to actually succeed with hard work in Canada and not be forced to move to the US to find real success?

Seems we're so angry underneath it all.... not to get too "hippy" on you. .... but haven't you noticed that everyone's got a gripe? Complaint? Worry?

There's so much potential in Canada and I feel we're squandering it with poor management.

I want a majority like YESTERDAY to see if we can turn this thing around.
LabradorGuy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Sentate Reform:
- 8 year terms
- for seat equalization use threes classes
- Class 1 - populations greater than 2 million (BC, AB, ON, & QC) - 10 seats
- Class 2 - populations less than 2 million (SK, MB, NS, NB, NL) - 6 seats
- Class 3 - popultaions less than 200,000 (PEI) - 4 seats
- & Territories - 1 seat
- Election type/time can be choosen by each province
2. Income Tax Reform:
- $20,000 Basic Exemption
- 2 division - 15% for up to $120,000, and 20% for greater than $120,000
- Tax simplification of course in needed, and reduction of exceptions
3. Equalization reform:
- Redefine the forumla where Quebec is a HAVE province, considering its resources, hydro, St. Lawrence Seaway, Aerospace Industry, etc.
- Change to a system where money goes directly to the Social Service, such as $10,000 follows the individual for health care costs.
- Note a reduction of federal taxes, will allow the provinces to increase their taxes to what they need to provide their services. This will improve provincial autonomy.
4. Political Reform:
- Elimination of the party subsidy.
- Allow Independents to raise funds under the same rules as political parties.
- Maintain individual donation restrictions to $1200.
- Severly reduce the civil service by at least 20%.
5. Crime Reform:
- Clear legilsative laws, that describe the length and conditions of penalities for violent and economic crime.
- Improve legal assistance to victims of violent crime.

Other miscellaneous items may include:
- HRC Reform
- Transfer Fisheries to the Provinces
- Improve mobility at the US border
- Purchase fleet of Joint Strike Fighters
- Purchase new fleet of Buffalo aircraft from Viking Air, Victoria
- EI reform, (ie. moving or training allowances)
- Creation of the Northern Development Opportunites Agency, similar to ACOA, independent from Dept. of Aborginal Affairs.
- Transfer more reseve land into municipalities
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 10

1) Senate Reform
2) Killing the long gun registry. Other gun related issues like perhaps expanding the ATC (Authorization to Carry) to more people.
3) Tax reform (hopefully a flat tax but at the very least a two tier tax would suffice...for now. Income splitting.
4) Private health care.
5) Selling federal assets and privatizing crown corporations (CBC, AECL, Via Rail, Canada Post, etc.)
6) Elimination (or reduction of powers) for the HRC. Same for the CRTC.
7) Reduce government spending & programs, like Telefilm.
8) Equal custody for both parents in child custody cases.
9) Ending or substantially reducing public subsidies to political parties (there's about $80 million annually there).
10) Reducing or eliminating equalization.
LabradorGuy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezbeatz,

Those are some really good sugestions I forgot about downsizing the CBC, I came on some other thoughts:

- CBC in the urban Canada (basically south of 60 Latitude) assets should be sold off and privatized. As for Northern Canada, northern Quebec, and Labrador, that infrastructure should remain and a Northern Broadcasting Service should be privided, as many of these communities do NOT have private radio broadcasting. Then the radio programming could be localized, so in Labrador we could actually get real Labrador Country Music programming, versus that Arts stuff from Montreal.

- As for Health Care Privatization, I don't think the feds should go on with that. That is ultimately a Provincial Jurisdiction, which should be encouraged to reform their healthcare delivery. The feds probably should reduce its funding, or use a per person funding scheme that guruntees an ammount of health funding to each citizen. Digitization of the health care records and interprovincial cooperation is a must, where the feds can get involved.

- As for Canada Post, certainly reform is needed. It is still needed for rural service, but reducing the role of the postal Union (and other gov't Unions) must be challenged.
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. Good ideas.

I'm hoping for something inspiring. Something that nobody has thought of before.

Let's be the first to land a man on Mars. There's something to be proud of. Planting a Canadian flag on Mars......

Joking (sort of..) but you know what I mean.
LabradorGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon,

I am an Aerospace Engineer, and frankly putting a man on Mars is implausible because of the enormous ammount of energy needed to get him there, keep him alive and bring him back.

But on the subject of Grand Schemes, (Yes sometimes we do have to spend some public dollars), may I suggest:

- Kuujuak Highway to connect Nunavik (Northern Quebec), with the South. As it would also provide a gateway to Nunavut.
- Southern Montreal Bypass - Where you can drive around Montreal without having to drive through the Island - Urg!
- A Second Windsor-Detroit Bridge (oh yes its needed for the Truck Traffic)
- 138 Highway Extension to Southern Labrador (Improve Truck Traffic, to that region)

Please suggest any other Infrastructure Project particularly out west.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LabradorGuy wrote:
TorontoCon,

I am an Aerospace Engineer, and frankly putting a man on Mars is implausible because of the enormous ammount of energy needed to get him there, keep him alive and bring him back.

But on the subject of Grand Schemes, (Yes sometimes we do have to spend some public dollars), may I suggest:

- Kuujuak Highway to connect Nunavik (Northern Quebec), with the South. As it would also provide a gateway to Nunavut.
- Southern Montreal Bypass - Where you can drive around Montreal without having to drive through the Island - Urg!
- A Second Windsor-Detroit Bridge (oh yes its needed for the Truck Traffic)
- 138 Highway Extension to Southern Labrador (Improve Truck Traffic, to that region)

Please suggest any other Infrastructure Project particularly out west.

Let's add a couple of lanes and make the trans Canada highway an autobahn (no speed limit).
LabradorGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm NOT that Libertarian, but I agree that there needs to be widening and improvements on the Trans Canada and other highways, but come on the highways are design for certain speeds, we do have to keep our highways safe since it is a public road.
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping for a high speed rail between Calgary and Edmonton and a triangle between Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.

Would cut down on the high level of flights between the cities and would also free up traffic on highways in a big way, not to mention speed up travel.

Let's build a whole new city in the north with jobs in:
- construction of course
- resourse (oil/gas, diamond, uranium)
- new military and naval base
- environmental studies

Job creation baby!
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealing this idea but it's also a good one. Double the railway lines from BC to Halifax. Improves transport of goods across our massive country.
LabradorGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ironic thing is taht we want to curb spending, but when we do spend public money at least we demand that it be spent on economically opportunistic projects that benefit the larger community.

Anyway, I also though of how about Debt Free by 2020. Completely get rid of the debt be then. That would be ambitious, but could be accomplished if spending is reigned in.
Joahob

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my top five policies if I were king.

1. Eliminate deficit
2. Abolish income tax and increase GST as needed
3. Eliminate party subsidies
4. Abolish equalization and eventually all federal transfer payments
5. Maintain existing Senate form
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joahob wrote:

2. Abolish income tax and increase GST as needed

I disagree with this one. It would really hurt the tourism industry with that much extra taxes on purchasing goods and services in Canada.
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about making MAJOR CUTS to business taxes? (cut in half right now and another HALF in 2010) - would that be down to something like 3% by 2010??

That would give a major boost to the Canadian economy in a big way. Foreign investors and companies would want to have businesses set up shop all over Canada. Talk about being competitive in the global market. Talk about job creation.

Great for multiple industries.

Flaherty already has us on the right track with scaled reductions of taxes in that area but why not accelerate it further and FASTER?
IanM

votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could pass any legislation in Canada;

1 - Taxation;
A - Flat Income Tax at 10% (No deductions / Exemption on first 15,000)
B - Flat Business Tax at 10% (Exemption on First 50,000)
C - Elimination of the Death Tax
D - Capital Gains Tax at 10%
E - No taxation on withdrawl's on RRSPs (The contribution limit would be removed)
F - Tax Free Savings Accounts raised to 50,000 / year
G - Elimination of all Tarriffs and Duties for goods entering and leaving Canada.
H - A law, preferably constitutional saying that exise taxes and 'sin' taxes on goods are to comprise no more than 20% of a good's value.
I - All income taxation is to be done at the Federal Level, thus there would be no more provincial income taxes.
J - No taxation on Foreign Investment Income in Canada.
K - No Dual Taxation on Capital Gains
L - Reducing the GST to 3%, Ensuring the maximum Provincial Income tax is set at 5%

2 - Military and Foreign Affairs
A - A law fixing Military Spending to 2.5% of GDP.
B- Reaffirming our Commitment to the SPP
C - Reaffirming our Commitment to NATO.
E - Citizenship and Right to Enter Freely to All United States and British Commonwealth Citizens.
F - Reaffirming the Importance of Capitalism and other key western values in the world.
G - A law restricting foreign aid to non Western nations at 1% of GDP
H - A National Civil Defense Programme for Canada. With Serious Emergency Prepard

3 - Infrastructure A- A Canada Wide High Speed Rail Network. (Using a Bond Measure to pay for this of course)
B - Upgrading the Trans Canada Highway to a Four lane highway across Canada. (Bond Measure to pay for this of course)
C - Creation of a Underwater Tunnel to connect Nova Scotia and PEI / Nova Scotia and Newfoundland (Another Bond Measure)
D - In order to be enviromental and all of those things; Requiring all new houses to be equipped with Solar Water Heaters, as well as Greywater lawn watering systems, as well as solar panels.
E - Exploration into equipping all houses with Solar Panels to take some load off of our power grid and reduce cost, as well as being all warm and enviromental.
F - A serious look into using rail for mass cargo transport.

4 - Social Programmes;
A - Removing contribution Caps on CPP / EI - Kept at a flat rate, and adjusting upwards to a max payout that is realistic for white collar workers.
B - Federalizing Health Care and Education
C - No means test for CPP. You do not lose out for actually planning for your retiremement.

5 - Trivia / Other.
A - Right to work laws, right to opt out of a Union and NOT pay Union Dues, Right to Opt out of Collective Barganing, Right to form competing unions.
B - Sale of the CBC.
C - Sale of all other Crown Corporations.
D - Anti Nationalization Laws. Except in conjunction with the Emergencies Act.
E - No more protection of Canadian Content Laws with the CRTC, if someone wants to broadcast in Canada, it should be as simple as filling out a form and having the distribution network in Place.
F - Removal of Campaign Spending and Contribution Limits (Tax Deductable to a Maximum of 2000 /yr Federal, 2000 / Y Provincial, 1000 /Yr - Riding Association, 1000 /Yr Municipal) As well as removal of public subsidy to Political Parties.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: