Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That there really is a hidden agenda! I mean, if you can't put forward your real ideas during a minority, and you have to wait till you get a majority, is that not suitable for print in the Oxford Dictionary?
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanM wrote:
If I could pass any legislation in Canada;

1 - Taxation;
A - Flat Income Tax at 10% (No deductions / Exemption on first 15,000)
B - Flat Business Tax at 10% (Exemption on First 50,000)

I would like to see the provincial and federal income taxes harmonized, at least for the exemption level.

Quote:

G - Elimination of all Tarriffs and Duties for goods entering and leaving Canada.
J - No taxation on Foreign Investment Income in Canada.
K - No Dual Taxation on Capital Gains

I think the elimination of all tariffs and duties is a really good one. I liked how the Conservative government eliminated some tariffs on machinery in this last budget.

Quote:

2 - Military and Foreign Affairs
A - A law fixing Military Spending to 2.5% of GDP.
E - Citizenship and Right to Enter Freely to All United States and British Commonwealth Citizens.

I kind of like the current conservative military budget proposal which is a 20 year funding plan of about $400-500 billion. The second part is a bit complicated because the US considers their biggest terrorist threat to come from British Muslims.

Quote:

3 - Infrastructure A- A Canada Wide High Speed Rail Network. (Using a Bond Measure to pay for this of course)

Depends on the cost and benefit. Personally, I'd prefer the option you stated below.

Quote:

B - Upgrading the Trans Canada Highway to a Four lane highway across Canada. (Bond Measure to pay for this of course)

Nice :)

Quote:

C - Creation of a Underwater Tunnel to connect Nova Scotia and PEI / Nova Scotia and Newfoundland (Another Bond Measure)
D - In order to be enviromental and all of those things; Requiring all new houses to be equipped with Solar Water Heaters, as well as Greywater lawn watering systems, as well as solar panels.
E - Exploration into equipping all houses with Solar Panels to take some load off of our power grid and reduce cost, as well as being all warm and enviromental.

No offense, but some of these proposals sound quite liberal. You already have the confederation bridge connecting PEI with NB/NS, why do you need an underground tunnel? The Chunnel between England and France connect almost 120 million people. There's less then two million in all of the maritimes. As well, those environmental proposals you've stated are quite costly and the returns are negligible.

Quote:

B - Federalizing Health Care and Education

Disagree, I think that matters left best to the provinces. Another degree of separation would mean that the Federal department would more or less be completely out of touch. I would prefer increased privatization in both health care and education though.

Quote:

5 - Trivia / Other.
A - Right to work laws, right to opt out of a Union and NOT pay Union Dues, Right to Opt out of Collective Barganing, Right to form competing unions.
B - Sale of the CBC.
C - Sale of all other Crown Corporations.
D - Anti Nationalization Laws. Except in conjunction with the Emergencies Act.
E - No more protection of Canadian Content Laws with the CRTC, if someone wants to broadcast in Canada, it should be as simple as filling out a form and having the distribution network in Place.

All very good.

Quote:

F - Removal of Campaign Spending and Contribution Limits (Tax Deductable to a Maximum of 2000 /yr Federal, 2000 / Y Provincial, 1000 /Yr - Riding Association, 1000 /Yr Municipal) As well as removal of public subsidy to Political Parties.

I agree with the removal of public subsidies but I really like the prohibition of corporation and union contributions. Perhaps the personal limit could be increase to $2,500 per year.
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No offense, but some of these proposals sound quite liberal.

Are you referring to the environmental suggestions? I'm very conservative on pretty much all fronts.

However, I refuse to believe that Conservatives don't care about the environment. I personally like the idea of having new home "starts" with mandatory solar panels to at least power 20% of the home (powering the basics like water heater, lights: not major appliances that draw more juice...).

Good idea. And that SHOULD be considered a conservative one in the future.

The renewable energy sector is growing no matter if some like it or not. We can benefit from it financially ......... or not.

Why not grow that manufacturing sector? Why not create jobs in that sector?

Some might say that "photovoltaics aren't a viable energy source" or "it's inefficient". Poor argument.

It is better than Coal and it's better than Nuclear (in the long run). Every little bit counts, and I'm not just talking about CO2 and all that hype. I'm talking about generally being smart with consumption. That's a good thing.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
Quote:
No offense, but some of these proposals sound quite liberal.

Are you referring to the environmental suggestions? I'm very conservative on pretty much all fronts.

However, I refuse to believe that Conservatives don't care about the environment. I personally like the idea of having new home "starts" with mandatory solar panels to at least power 20% of the home (powering the basics like water heater, lights: not major appliances that draw more juice...).

Good idea. And that SHOULD be considered a conservative one in the future.

The renewable energy sector is growing no matter if some like it or not. We can benefit from it financially ......... or not.

Some might say that "photovoltaics aren't a viable energy source" or "it's inefficient". Poor argument.

It is better than Coal and it's better than Nuclear (in the long run). Every little bit counts, and I'm not just talking about CO2 and all that hype. I'm talking about generally being smart with consumption. That's a good thing.

Do you know how expensive that would be? PM Harper introduced a tax credit for first time home buyers. That pails in comparison to the increase cost if they have to buy a house with solar panels.
ezbeatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:

If you want to pay 8 times what you're paying now for electricity, then go ahead. The average cost of electricity from solar panels is 40 cents/kwh. The average cost of electricity in Ontario, 5 cents/kwh. Do the math. These sound like talking points from the Green party.

I'm all for protecting our environment but not by exponentially increasing the cost of living.
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezbeatz wrote:

If you want to pay 8 times what you're paying now for electricity, then go ahead. The average cost of electricity from solar panels is 40 cents/kwh. The average cost of electricity in Ontario, 5 cents/kwh. Do the math. These sound like talking points from the Green party.

If you own your own solar panels, you are not paying from the grid. You own a portion of your own energy source (maybe 10%-20%?) I'm not saying we build huge solar panel farms (where I AGREE with you, it would cost more $$ for energy), just to incorporate some of that technology into new home starts (brand new homes).

Why not have 4 panels on your roof in order to be LESS reliant on outside energy sources?

Seems pretty conservative to me!
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
Seems pretty conservative to me!
It is, right up until the point that the government coerces the choice or otherwise introduces artificial market incentives.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: