Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: CTV bans Ashley Madison ad for Super Bowl Reply with quote

http://www.edmontonsun.com/New.....91961.html

Quote:
Adultery site ad nixed

By BRETT CLARKSON, Sun Media
TORONTO - A Toronto-based online dating service for cheaters has called offside on CTV after the network dumped its Super Bowl commercial.

The Ashley Madison Agency, the self-proclaimed “world’s premier discreet dating service,” produced a 30-second spot to air during Sunday’s broadcast of the NFL championship between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Arizona Cardinals. And although the ad will run in several cities in the U.S. during the big game, it won’t see airtime in this country despite being okayed by the Telecaster Committee of Canada to run after 9 p.m.

The reason? CTV doesn’t want an ad “promoting adultery” running alongside the “quality brands” in its Super Bowl advertising roster, according to an official statement released by the network. The decision has left Ashley Madison president Noel Biderman angrier than a jilted lover.

“We’re just really livid that it’s not being seen in the country where the business was born and where it’s focused,” Biderman said. “I think that absent a regulatory reason, CTV is offside here.”

The site, founded in 2001, boasts 3.5 million members, Biderman said. On its website, the tagline reads, “Life Is Short. Have An Affair.” It caters to two-timers.

The ad itself isn’t overtly racy and focuses on an attractive woman growing fed up with her distracted, oafish husband on their anniversary date. At the end, after her hubby has deserted her at the table, presumably because of work, she makes eyes with another man on the other side of the room. They both smile at each other. “Isn’t it time for Ashley Madison?” a female voice asks.

According to CTV, it certainly isn’t time for Ashley Madison. Especially during the ratings juggernaut that is the Super Bowl.

“The Super Bowl attracts a broad audience composed of families, men and women, young and old,” said Scott Henderson, vice-president of communications for the network. “An advertisement for a website promoting adultery does not meet the standards for the quality brands associated with this premiere television property and major social event.”

Biderman accused CTV of being “extremely hypocritical” for spurning his website while running ads for alcohol products, which he said cause more harm than Ashley Madison ever could. Labatt Breweries is one of the advertisers during Sunday’s game.

Biderman also claimed Ashley Madison doesn’t convince anyone to have an affair — but that it accommodates people who’ve already made the decision to cheat.

“Physical intimacy is no different than requiring oxygen to breathe or water to drink,” Biderman said. “If it’s missing in your relationship, I don’t care who you are, President of the United States or the Prince of England, you’re going to step outside your relationship. That’s the bottom line.” Last year’s Super Bowl, also broadcast on CTV, was the most-watched ever in Canada, with 5.5 million viewers across the country. brett.clarkson@sunmedia.ca

I have to say, good on CTV from not allowing this sick agency from airing a commercial, especially when you will have millions of Canadians, and families watching the Super Bowl.

CTV has every right to do this. They are a private corporation who has standards that they have set for themselves, and good on them for upholding that.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Are you married? Who cares, we want you to date and screw around and mess up your life. JOIN TODAY!"

Bastards...
eveable

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a serious problem with the fact that Canadians are not allowed to watch the Superbowl ads. That is the highlight of the superbowl. I have to watch them the next day on my computer. Thank god, the CRTC and CTV have not figured out how to stop computer signals from crossing the border. I hate being treated like a 3 year old in my country. We Canadians have to be shielded from the Superbowl ads? I miss my old dish where I got American channels without CRTC censorship.
nathaliejcaron

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, there's always YouTube, if you really want to see the American ads.

I've seen ads for this company before tho. They leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleasantly surprised. It's nice to know that CTV has some real moral fiber at their place of business.

And, to anybody who thinks that this is a freedom of speech issue - it isn't. CTV is a private company, and as such, has discretion in what ads it will air.
SFrank85

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habsrwfan wrote:
I'm pleasantly surprised. It's nice to know that CTV has some real moral fiber at their place of business.

And, to anybody who thinks that this is a freedom of speech issue - it isn't. CTV is a private company, and as such, has discretion in what ads it will air.

Agreed!
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habsrwfan wrote:

So when a Christian group tries to run a 30 second ad and the CTV says they're not interested because they're concerned it might offend Muslims, you'll be okay with it, right?

-Mac
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habsrwfan wrote:

I find the ad as disgusting as the social conservatives do, but I do think it comes down to freedom of speech. The fact that CTV is a private company is really irrelevant. It is one of Canada's few television networks.

I think they might be playing into these peoples hands anyway. They probably didn't have the money to run these ads anyway. They got more publicity by not running them.
These types of people have shown the ability to get social conservatives to do exactly what they want them to.
SFrank85

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiscalconservative wrote:
Habsrwfan wrote:

I find the ad as disgusting as the social conservatives do, but I do think it comes down to freedom of speech. The fact that CTV is a private company is really irrelevant. It is one of Canada's few television networks.

I think they might be playing into these peoples hands anyway. They probably didn't have the money to run these ads anyway. They got more publicity by not running them.
These types of people have shown the ability to get social conservatives to do exactly what they want them to.

The social conservatives had nothing to do with this agency getting publicity. It was other media outlets that did this. You really do make social conservatives to be stupid. If only you knew.

As for Christian ads, Christian ads do not celebrate the breaking up of families and ruining your life like this agency does. Plus, you will have many kids watching the Super Bowl. The ad was suppose to run after 9pm, and the game would not even be over at 9pm. This is CTV taking responsibility of their product. They have set standards, and it is good to see them stand up to those standards.
John Larocque

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another rejected Superbowl ad:
http://www.lifenews.com/nat4801.html

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CaBR3z85c
Craig Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but I do think it comes down to freedom of speech. The fact that CTV is a private company is really irrelevant. It is one of Canada's few television networks.

Freedom of speech includes the freedom NOT to say something. And your suggestion that CTV should be FORCED to show something on their private network IS an infringement on THEIR freedom of speech.
SFrank85

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Smith wrote:
but I do think it comes down to freedom of speech. The fact that CTV is a private company is really irrelevant. It is one of Canada's few television networks.

Freedom of speech includes the freedom NOT to say something. And your suggestion that CTV should be FORCED to show something on their private network IS an infringement on THEIR freedom of speech.

Very good point.
eveable

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I see that it is mainly men answering this meaning ??
I am an adult. If I wish to have an affair or leave my husband, this commercial would not influence me. If I don't wish to have an affair or leave my husband, this commercial would not influence me. I have seen Ashley Madison ads before and surprisingly they did not make me register, leave my husband or have an affair.
However I resent being treated like a 3 year old and I will tell CTV that.
I love it, we can allow ads to tell everyone that God does not exist but we can't allow an ad for a online dating service??
Mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Larocque wrote:
Here's another rejected Superbowl ad:
http://www.lifenews.com/nat4801.html

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CaBR3z85c

What an excellent ad... yet it was rejected. Imagine that. NBC is a private network so don't anyone bother making a "freedom of speech" argument!!

-Mac
Mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eveable wrote:
I love it, we can allow ads to tell everyone that God does not exist but we can't allow an ad for a online dating service??

Now if God was running an online dating service, could we run an ad about that?

-Mac

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: