Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has this budget pulled the country more left or right?
right
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
left
42%
 42%  [ 12 ]
same
32%
 32%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 28

Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Left or Right? Reply with quote

Has this budget pulled the country more left or right? I think more right since the country is already so far left, we stayed in power and the liberals did agree to abolish equal pay (it is being abolished right?). Though on the other hand we went into a major defect.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is either the same, or a *very* incremental move to the right, so incremental that it is invisable to the naked eye. Mostly because of several tax cuts that certainly would not have seen the light of day in a coalition budget.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tossed between edged to the right and same... I want to believe it's a move to the right but the whole stimulus thing rubs me wrong. That being said, it would be very, very hard to move this country much further to the left without replacing the Parliament with a Politburo.

-Mac
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Left or Right? Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:
Has this budget pulled the country more left or right? I think more right since the country is already so far left, we stayed in power and the liberals did agree to abolish equal pay (it is being abolished right?). Though on the other hand we went into a major defect.

I would say the right, just because the tax cuts are permanent and the spending is set to expire automatically. This makes it harder to get rid of the cuts, and harder to keep the silly spendng.
bsenka

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This a hard left move. Pork for everyone. More spending on liberal programs, and more new government programs. Huge deficits, piles of money being lit on fire for no resonable purpose. It's a scattershot approach, thow money everywhere and hope something sticks.

I'm ashamed to have campaigned for, let alone voted for this party.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a hugely nanny state, big government budget. It diminishes economic freedom.
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
This is a hugely nanny state, big government budget. It diminishes economic freedom.

I am curious of your opinion KW. How would your budget have looked?

Do you think a flat tax is the answer to it all?

Personally I can't say I have any idea how to approach this economic bull. One thing I DO know is that job prospects in the biotech sector are dwindling in a big way. The big pharma companies are shedding jobs and biotech start-ups are a myth.

How do we stimulate growth in the biotech sector? The tax cuts up to this point have not helped (yet) but I think thay will by 2012. Unfortunately that doesn't help me find employment.

It's looking more and more like I'll be forced to find work in the US. I'm a patriot and wanted to contribute the CANADIAN science and biotech initiatives.....

Sadly, I might not be able to...
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To speak to the thread topic, I don't think that the Country has moved in any particular direction because of one budget. To be sure, the budget itself is a "hard left turn", but the mindset of the electorate doesn't change overnight.

No change.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left - but less left than almost every other industrialized nation's "stimulus" package.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadaís only Conservative party with seats in the house has created a liberal budget. This has moved Canada to the left. CBC=more funding for you in the name of stimulus. Status of women=more funding for you in the name of stimulus. Donít believe me? The government has a hard enough time keeping tack of the money it spends; this will not be any different. The government is larger than it ever has been which is sad considering this is a Conservative government in power.
DixieCanuck

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsenka wrote:
This a hard left move. Pork for everyone. More spending on liberal programs, and more new government programs. Huge deficits, piles of money being lit on fire for no resonable purpose. It's a scattershot approach, thow money everywhere and hope something sticks.

I'm ashamed to have campaigned for, let alone voted for this party.

That's my opinion as well. I'm still in shock that former Reformers can support this.

Jump to: