Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WBD

Reputation: 38.7Reputation: 38.7Reputation: 38.7Reputation: 38.7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Polar Bears doing fine Reply with quote

It may have been way back on page 27 of the Calgary Sun but there it was in bold letters across the top of the page...

Inuit insist polar bears not endangered

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Na.....1-sun.html

Not the usual MSM type headline.
Good piece. Short and to the point. I guess someone decided to talk to the REAL experts.

I've always known this but it's nice to see an article about the bears that's not just junk science.

Bill in Calgary
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scientists don't really know how many polar bears there are... and until Algore claimed the polar bears were endangered, none of the scientists really cared!! Now there's research dollars in counting bears....

-Mac
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny part is that the studies that had been done almost universally show an all-time high for their population. The current drive to list the polar bears as endangered is based entirely off the belief that Arctic sea ice is disappearing, a belief which is itself false (again, sea ice coverage this year has been record-breaking).
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well news papers are usually more even handed then other media sources or maybe it's just because I read the post or globe.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother inlaw was telling everyone that polar bears where endangered and when I disagreed he looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Most people never look into the facts themselves they just repeat verbiage from talking heads with agendas. It is my cross to bear that I always check the facts after I hear something I suspect is bullsh*t.
Big Tuna

votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
My brother inlaw was telling everyone that polar bears where endangered and when I disagreed he looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Most people never look into the facts themselves they just repeat verbiage from talking heads with agendas. It is my cross to bear that I always check the facts after I hear something I suspect is bullsh*t.

Well the U.S. has the polar bear listed as a "threatened species" and the IUNC has them listed as a "vulnerable species" . Technically you're correct that they aren't listed as "endangered" but they are only one step away. The studies show that the melting sea ice has disastrous affects on the polar bears in the region. With the projections showing that the sea ice is melting quicker than ever the polar bears really are in trouble.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/22823
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the aboriginals in the region (Inuit) the polar bear population has exploded.

On the one hand it is beneficial (financially) for the natives to say this but on the other hand who would know better then them? Also I certainly trust natives more than these "environmentalists" who in turn benefit (financially) by saying the polar bear population is shrinking.
Mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:
According to the aboriginals in the region (Inuit) the polar bear population has exploded.

On the one hand it is beneficial (financially) for the natives to say this but on the other hand who would know better then them? Also I certainly trust natives more than these "environmentalists" who in turn benefit (financially) by saying the polar bear population is shrinking.

Actually, I would say there's more financial incentive for the native to say the bears are disappearing since that would provoke an massive influx of scientists who lack even basic survival skills and would need native guides, assistants and rescuers.

The natives are saying the polar bear population is growing because the polar bears are intruding into their villages and hunting camps like never before... which is contrary to the delusional scientific claim that the bears should be retreating to the north.

I still think we should import a good breeding population of polar bears to the icepacks where the seals give birth to their pups, then invite Sir Paul and Brigitte Bardot for a photo-op as the bears come out to play...

-Mac
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The studies show that the melting sea ice has disastrous affects on the polar bears in the region.

They have been recording ice levels for what 40 years at the most.

Loved the headlines this year. "Arctic sea ice at second losest level ever". They don't bother to mention that sea ice was at it's lowest level the year before last. The headline could have read "Sea ice recovers by 10%" but that is not sensational enough.

Sea ice is at it's lowest level ever but the polar bear population is exploding according to natives! That is a disatrous affect. The bears will be dying from lack of food if this population explosion keeps up.
Mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
The bears will be dying from lack of food if this population explosion keeps up.

I'm telling ya... move them off of Newfoundland and let 'em eat the burgeoning population of seals (and stoopid celebrities)...

-Mac
eveable

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, the polar bears in the areas of the Arctic where it is warming are increasing in numbers. The polar bears where it is cooling are dying.
2009 Arctic sea is is into the median range and climbing, the Antarctic sea ice extent has just posted a new high record.

Jump to: