Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Transitionary Libertarianism Reply with quote

An avowed libertarian defends his stance on not totally eliminating HRCs:

Mike Brock wrote:
...While I am sympathetic to the view, that a shift towards individualism would be a form of shock therapy that would set the stage for certain societal woes working themselves out of a series of generations (or sooner), one must understand that the durability of that political arrangement is directly based on contentment of the populace it embodies.

A deterioration of living conditions for large swathes of people, resulting from the cultural legacies of racism, sexism, and other isms, in my view will lead to a backlash against said policies, and set the stage for even more statism. This is of course the thinking of incrementalism. And for all our chest pounding moral superiority, it is also immensely practical, which brings me back to the Human Rights Commissions...

...Denial of employment or housing for reasons of racial intolerance, while in a perfect world is simply a property owner exercising their property rights, in reality is contributing to the systematic exclusion of certain groups from market participation. Which in turn, leads to the unfortunate trends of ghettoization, increases in crimes against persons and property, and ultimately societal pressure to increase state intervention through policing, jailing and other social welfare programs.

Liberty is a cultural trait. Not a political one. It only becomes a political trait when itís culturally embraced. Where cultural legacies exist, which come into conflict with liberty, we must work to address them in order to preserve the cultural value of liberty itself...
LINK

For clarity, he does support getting HRCs out of the censorship buisiness, while preserving their other functions. Putting that matter aside for the larger picture, I think there's a lot of wisdom here... Canada did not embrace the nanny state overnight, Trudeau and his successors have been boiling the frog for 4 decades. Perhaps the best course is to teach Canadians to love liberty again, one small dose at a time.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense to me. Many of the basic tenets of libertarianism involve the outright abolition of sacred cows to the point that the average non-politically active Canadian would be outraged.

For instance, in a purely libertarian state, there would be no Crown corporations (only moderately shocking) or Crown lands (severely shocking), not even National Parks (extremely shocking). Governments are supposed to be the servants of the people, not their rulers. Servants don't run businesses, particularly not monopolies like Canada Post or the Mint. Servants don't own vast tracts of land and use their ownership to restrict access from their rulers.

-Mac
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding - did you know than incorporated towns in National Parks have to pay rent money to the feds? No one technically owns 'their' land, they just have a share of the municipality's lease.
Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
No kidding - did you know than incorporated towns in National Parks have to pay rent money to the feds? No one technically owns 'their' land, they just have a share of the municipality's lease.

I hadn't heard that but I'm not surprised since it's essentially the same thing on the reserves. No-one is allowed to own the land so anyone who builds, regardless whether it's homes or businesses, has to have a lease from the band or from the feds, depending on the situation.

While I was on Vancouver Island, a land developer made a small trailer park on the Tsarlip Reserve. A lease was signed with the federal government. The band sued the feds and cut off access to the sewer system. I'm not sure what eventually happened but when I left, the park was abandoned & empty.

-Mac
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We service a reserve and, as you're no doubt aware, the inability to own property causes the residents all kinds of problems... in all the fires I've attended, only 1 person has had home insurance. Why? Because she was a favoured relative of her band councillor / chief (I can't recall which), and the bands control the insurance policies for all the homes. Anyone without such a connection can't buy private insurance, because they don't actually own the homes... and that's just the tip of the iceburg.
Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
... and that's just the tip of the iceburg.

Exactly. How can a reserve-based business secure funding when they can't leverage their loans with property? Answer: they can't so they depend on the government to guarantee their loans, using the tax-slave's money.

-Mac

Jump to: