Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Energy Reply with quote

The main energy sources for cities and towns electricity are coal, oil, nuclear, geothermal, fusion, natural gas, wind,water and solar,right? Which ones are the best and which one are the worst and what have I forgot?

I think that Geothermal, water and nuclear are the best because both water and geothermal always work and are environment friendly but unfortunately generate little energy, while nuclear generates a lot and so can be used in cities.

The worst ones there are wind and solar. Wind because in most countries that have wind mills they generate little to now energy. Even in Denmark the wind mill capital of the world, wind sometimes generates a net loss of power monthly. Not only that but people living near wind mills can get wind mill syndrome. And I also choose solar because it costs SO much for Nada.
Darth Vader

Reputation: 5.4Reputation: 5.4Reputation: 5.4Reputation: 5.4Reputation: 5.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For money spent and energy produced coal is the best hands down. Absolutely no one pays any attention to clean coal technology. It is here now and not something out in the future. There are huge lobby groups that are opposed to coal, not due to enviromental concerns, they don't want competition.

Coal gasification and coal liquification, that is the process of making coal gas for home heating and producing diesel fuel and gasoline from coal, is around 100 years old now. It is far cheaper and far more enviromentaly friendly than tar shale or tar sand upgrading.

The Alberta reasearch council spent millions on coal technology and had some real exiting breakthroughs. The government cancelled the whole program.
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree coal has great potential to be the best by far.
Darth Vader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coal reserves in Canada are unimaginable. Of course our oil reserves are second only to the Arabs. There are uranium deposits in Saskatchewan that are so rich it is actually dangerous to mine them.

It is frustating to see the politics that hold back Canada from developing.
Darth Vader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said our oil reserves were second only to the Arabs I was thinking of Alberta. If you take into the Baken oil field in Saskatchean and the proven reserves in the NWT, Norman Wells ect. we exceed the Arabs by far.
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus the prospectors were saying that they may be a huge oil reservoir under Manitoba, but also under the rocks above it.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:
Plus the prospectors were saying that they may be a huge oil reservoir under Manitoba, but also under the rocks above it.

I've heard that as well. Continued development on oilsands and offshore tech will likely yield some new techniques to make drilling in the Shield more cost effective in the future. I agree with Darth Vader, the potential of coal is seriously overlooked. I don't mind Nuclear, but it tends to require quite a bit of land and isn't always the right solution because of that.

Jump to: