Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: **Response from CBC’s The National Executive Producer** Reply with quote

Quote:
Stephen Frank
Scarborough, Ontario
Sfrank85@aol.com

Dear Mr. Frank:

Thank you for your e-mails of December 4 addressed to Vince Carlin, CBC Ombudsman. As you know, Mr. Carlin asked me to reply.

You wrote to draw our attention to what you feel is “bias” in a report on public reaction to the Parliamentary crisis on the December 3 editions of THE NATIONAL. You wrote that CBC News reporter Darrow MacIntyre sought out opinions at a meeting of the Nova Scotia Environmental Network, a group you characterized as a “far-left organization.” Moreover, you wrote, he included two clips of Tamara Lorincz, the group’s executive director, and former federal NDP candidate, without identifying her as such.

Let me begin by saying that I sincerely regret that you are disappointed in CBC. I can assure you that the CBC prides itself on the excellence of its journalism. We take very seriously any assertion that our journalism is inaccurate, biased or unfair, or in any way fails to meet the rigorous criteria set out in the CBC’s Journalistic Standards and Practices. Where criticisms are justified, we take immediate corrective action.

However, in this case – and I say this with respect – I do not share your view that the report was biased; although, I agree, we should have been clearer in identifying Ms. Lorincz. Allow me to explain what I mean.

In a report entitled, “Atlantic Voices,” Mr. McIntyre sought out public opinion in two places: A lecture room at the Dalhousie University law school and the streets of Halifax. He began this way:

On this issue almost everyone around here has a strong opinion, and most of those opinions have a common theme: frustration.

Those in the lecture room were attending a screening of An Inconvenient Truth, a public screening, widely advertised throughout the campus and open to students and the public alike. The Nova Scotia Environmental Network organized the screening (by the way, an organization that describes itself on its website as “non-partisan” and one that “will not take a political stand or endorse a political party”), but it was not a meeting of NSEN members, as you indicated, or a meeting of NSEN member groups. Since it was a public showing, Mr. McIntyre went there expecting to find a cross-section of people from the university and surrounding neighbourhood, and he tells me he did.

Here is how Mr. McIntyre introduced the first opinion:

The constitutional crisis in Ottawa might seem like the only show in town these days, but in this room, it’s a more global crisis people are concerned about, one that just a year ago seemed to be a pressing, urgent issue for almost everyone... In this crowd, political manoeuvering in Ottawa is little more than a distraction, and a frustrating one.

With Al Gore’s environmental documentary playing in the background, one woman said there were “major things” happening on the planet while this “seemingly petty stuff” is going on in Ottawa. Ms. Lorincz (who was clearly identified in a superimposed title as being with the Nova Scotia Environmental Network) said there are serious climate issues and poverty issues and “we need a government that’s going to take urgent direct action” on them.

Then Mr. McIntyre turned to the streets of Halifax for a different view. One man said the Prime Minister should “stay right where he is.” A woman said that she was frustrated by what she sees as the Conservative’s unethical actions. Another said she thought change in Ottawa would be good.

At the end of the report, Mr. McIntyre returned to the university screening of An Inconvenient Truth and Ms. Lorincz who reiterated her earlier view saying that government needs to take action on the “issues that we care about.”

Let me emphasize that the two women in the meeting room expressed their frustration at the events playing out in Ottawa because they felt they were distracting attention from the far more serious issues facing the country – a view public opinion surveys suggest was shared by millions of Canadians. Neither woman spoke directly about politics or in support of a specific political party, although the three people on the street did.

That said, although Ms. Lorincz did not comment specifically, she was commenting on a politically charged and highly controversial situation. Her status as a locally prominent member of a political party is important in that context since it would contribute to our understanding of the significance of her remarks. I agree with you, we should have identified her more clearly in the story, including her political affiliation, an affiliation Mr. MacIntyre was not aware of at the time. We regret the error.

Thank you again for your e-mail. I hope my reply has reassured of the continuing integrity of THE NATIONAL and CBC News.

It is also my responsibility to inform you that if you are not satisfied with this response, you may wish to submit the matter for review by the CBC Ombudsman. The Office of the Ombudsman, an independent and impartial body reporting directly to the President, is responsible for evaluating program compliance with the CBC's journalistic policies. The Ombudsman may be reached by mail at the address shown below, or by fax at (416) 205-2825, or by e-mail at ombudsman@cbc.ca

Sincerely,

Mark Harrison
Executive Producer (Acting)
THE NATIONAL

Box 500, Station “A”,
Toronto, Ontario
M5W 1E6

Well, there you have it. Was I surprised over this? No. Am I disappointed? Yes!

To say that this group is non-partisan is like saying the Pope isn’t Catholic. Just because he went to the website to research, it does not show the whole picture. He told me that if I were unsatisfied with his finding that I take it up with the CBC Ombudsman, which I did originally.
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the cbc breacks the suck knob off alot. but what i'm really interested in was how the heck did you get such a long responce from the cbc?
SFrank85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:
I agree the cbc breacks the suck knob off alot. but what i'm really interested in was how the heck did you get such a long responce from the cbc?

Because it is run by bureaucrats sucking on the public tit with nothing better to do?
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:

Lefties always take forever to explain themselves. I suppose it's like thinking if you write as many words as possible for an essay, you'll get a better mark. Quantity not quality. Come to think of it, that'd be a great motto for the CBC.
John Louis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BS aside, can you imagine how long it took and how many CBC execs to:
collect the material
view the material
isolate bias
record it
compare complaint to material
notes on the material
draft of response
write or dictate response.

I don't think you want or need a pompous twit at the CBC to validate your opinion either! The CBC cannot be trusted to impartially present any story,period.
That's why they dropped their 'Trusted Canadian Connected' tag BS
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the BS includes the Anti-Americanism it promotes not to mention the Liberal Party slant each time Conservatives rose in the polls.
SFrank85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Louis wrote:
collect the material
view the material
isolate bias
record it
notes on the material
draft of response

I don't think you want or need a pompous twit at the CBC to validate your opinion either! The CBC cannot be trusted to impartially present any story,period.

The sad thing about that is it is true.

I wonder how many NDP and former U.S. Vietnam war deserters went through that content.

The only thing I will watch on the CBC is sports and the At Issue panel.
melwilde

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reminded of the groucho Marx quip. CBC is very educational television. When someone turns it on I go in the other room and read a good book
John Louis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CBC is very educational television. When someone turns it on I go in the other room and read a good book

That's perfect content for a simple E mail letter to the Constantly Bashing Conservatives Nutwork!
melwilde

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not usually inclined to respond to personal remarks, but in this case I will say this.
My children on the odd occasion (they are middle aged now) had difficulty accepting satirical humour that had a solid truth behind it. So I'm certainly not surprised to hear it again.
i wish you well sir.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think John_Louis was agreeing with you, melwilde.
melwilde

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is the case then I must say I was out of line and do apologize.
for my response. thank you for correcting me.
mel
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only education the have is socialst.
nathaliejcaron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: **Response from CBC’s The National Executive Producer** Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
He told me that if I were unsatisfied with his finding that I take it up with the CBC Ombudsman, which I did originally.

Complaints have to run through the CBC first, they have to give you an answer before you can go to the Ombudsman.

The letter was very drawn out. And it is clear that the justification against bias came from the reporter, from what I read there. The journalist was confronted with your complaints and explained why this wasn't true. Like some have said, there would have to be too much work behind proving or disproving your claims, from someone other than the reporter, in my opinion.

Going to the Ombudsman could give you an actual detached perspective, but I am guessing they will agree with the content of the CBC letter.
Big Tuna

votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
John Louis wrote:
collect the material
view the material
isolate bias
record it
notes on the material
draft of response

The sad thing about that is it is true.

I wonder how many NDP and former U.S. Vietnam war deserters went through that content.

The only thing I will watch on the CBC is sports and the At Issue panel.

Geez, now you're complaining they put too much effort into the response. If the CBC would have wrote back a two paragraph generic answer you'd be bitching that they don't care. They can't win either way. The ironic part is that the whole thing is about bias.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: