Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamiltonguyo

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: A Conservative Childcare Policy? Reply with quote

In 1999 one government in Canada commissioned a very knowledgeable and respected scientist to study how to improve early education for children.

Before you go spouting off about left-wing nutjobs, the government that commissioned the study was the Ontario government of Mike Harris. From my understanding (having talked with someone who is knowledgeable about this), the Harris government was intending on implementing this report before Harris chose to retire and Eves took over.

Basically the recommendations are: 1) Tax Credits for Businesses to invest in childcare
2) All-day Kindergarten and funding for alternative programs
3)Using Schools as early age resource centres to help parents learn how to parent and teach and stimulate their children better.
4) Simplifying the myriad of government involvement in early years child care, by having one local agency take the lead role

According to studies, a proper child care policy as such will save billions and billions of dollars per year in increased productivity later in life and reduced need for the government to step in and look after people. Also, the younger the child the better the return on investment ie. Putting additional resources into early years education is, better than throwing money at University Education.

The Amazing thing about all of this. Not a thing is mentioned about institutionalized state daycare, rather it is about giving parents the resources to be better parents and to look after their child better. In the end it as about making people able to look after themselves, rather than needing big government handouts and quotas.

Combined with choice in education at upper levels. I believe this could be the start of a great improvement in our generally ineffective education system. If Harris could consider it, why not John "the Red" Tory or Ed "leftie" Stelmach?

Last edited by hamiltonguyo on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
hamiltonguyo

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: A Conservative Childcare Policy? Reply with quote

http://www.founders.net/ey/home.nsf/info/eyreport!opendocument

Last edited by hamiltonguyo on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
hamiltonguyo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing will show up any help?

edit: all fixed now, thanks all.

Last edited by hamiltonguyo on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you trying to do?
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: A Conservative Childcare Policy? Reply with quote

That's quite funny - it shows up when I pressed the quote button. Let's see if I can repost if for you...

EDIT: I'm having the same problem. I can't include your original message in any form, or *my* entire message disappears as well.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try this again wrote:
In 1999 one government in Canada commissioned a very knowledgeable and respected scientist to study how to improve early education for children.

Before you go spouting off about left-wing nutjobs, the government that commissioned the study was the Ontario government of Mike Harris. From my understanding (having talked with someone who is knowledgeable about this), the Harris government was intending on implementing this report before Harris chose to retire and Eves took over.

Basically the recommendations are: 1) Tax Credits for Businesses to invest in childcare
2) All-day Kindergarten and funding for alternative programs
3)Using Schools as early age resource centres to help parents learn how to parent and teach and stimulate their children better.
4) Simplifying the myriad of government involvement in early years child care, by having one local agency take the lead role

According to studies, a proper child care policy as such will save billions and billions of dollars per year in increased productivity later in life and reduced need for the government to step in and look after people. Also, the younger the child the better the return on investment ie. Putting additional resources into early years education is, better than throwing money at University Education.

The Amazing thing about all of this. Not a thing is mentioned about institutionalized state daycare, rather it is about giving parents the resources to be better parents and to look after their child better. In the end it as about making people able to look after themselves, rather than needing big government handouts and quotas.

Combined with choice in education at upper levels. I believe this could be the start of a great improvement in our generally ineffective education system. If Harris could consider it, why not John "the Red" Tory or Ed "leftie" Stelmach?

Edit. Okay, that's showing. Maybe try removing the url from your OP, that's what I did. I think it might be aggravating board security measures.
hamiltonguyo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so everything is working now, ready for posting, thank you all for you help.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
According to studies, a proper child care policy as such will save billions and billions of dollars per year

Details?
hamiltonguyo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Quote:
According to studies, a proper child care policy as such will save billions and billions of dollars per year

Details?

I wish. This was what was reported to me by someone who went to a recent talk given by Dr. Mustard who wrote the report.

I'll ask for the names of the report.

However, I do know that this was tried in a pair of Australian States for some low-income parents and their kids did far better than kids not given the same resources. Once again I shall ask, about the name of the study.

There is actually a new copy of this report, which may contain some information from the studies. However, I have been unable to locate an online version. Does anyone know if they can find "The Early Years Study 2" (I think that's what it said on the cover of the hardcopy of the updated report)
hamiltonguyo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at some of the background data.

No specific studies named from what i can see (I don't have the time right now to read through hundreds of pages). But basically some solid background scientific facts.

Basically, the SES (Social-Economic-Status) is in large parts based off of the early years of a child.

Now without going into actually cases that have been observed, I am told this plan would cost 18 billion across Canada. And the expectation is that savings in correctional services alone would pay for the cost. Not to mention increased productivity, and better health in the long term (the early years having a large impact on health).

Personally I am not entirely 100% convinced the program in the entirety is the way to go, but it seems to have some solid concepts behind it. What twigged my interest is Harris' involvement with the plan.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sound like an interesting policy.

Quote:

Sounds like the Early Years system of community centres that Harris set up.
hamiltonguyo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok one quick study before I go. A study in Montreal showed that 32% of students showed high levels of aggression among students entering grade school that got better during High School, and 4% that never improved. 30% of those in that 36% never graduate and almost all the males in the chronic 4% ended up encountering the criminal justice system in their life. A study by Richard Tremblay showed that in a positive environment most kids are not this aggressive by the time they reach grade school. Meanwhile kids in (broadly defined) neglectful and or abusive environments were very likely to be in the 36%.
hamiltonguyo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
That sound like an interesting policy.

Quote:

Sounds like the Early Years system of community centres that Harris set up.

Who do you think commissioned the report? apparently Harris was set to fully implement the report before he prematurely retired.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I believe you.

I seem to recall reading something like this now that you mention it.
Blue Meanie

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studies on this, reports on that. What a bunch of crap! Want a childcare policy? Here ya go-" if you want kids, one parent should stay home and look after them". Why the hell should the federal gov't have a "policy"? They pretty much screw up most things they do, why let them screw up your kids too. You make the choice to have kids, you be responsible for raising them.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: