Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Has Thailand just become an Islamic theocracy? Reply with quote

The general at the head of the coup, Sondhi is a Muslim. What exactly is going on in Thailand? They have has an active Islamic insurgency in their South for a long time now.
Cameron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Thailand just become an Islamic theocracy? Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
The general at the head of the coup, Sondhi is a Muslim. What exactly is going on in Thailand? They have has an active Islamic insurgency in their South for a long time now.

Are they keeping the King in place?

[Ironic laugh] After I type it, it seems silly and simple. Of course the're keeping him in place - at gunpoint. [/Ironic laugh].

Such a shame for this beautiful country (at least in the postcards my friends have sent me).

Once upon a time, they had plenty of economic promise. Now, after the collapse of the baht, the tsunami, and now this. As a businessman, I often curse the bureaucratic and other roadblocks I encounter - I can't imagine trying to make an honest buck in a country like that.
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Thailand just become an Islamic theocracy? Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:

From what I can read is this is about the urban Bangkok elite's upset with the current PM. The Thai PM is in NYC right now and will not likely return.
Cameron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Thailand just become an Islamic theocracy? Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:

From what I can read is this is about the urban Bangkok elite's upset with the current PM. The Thai PM is in NYC right now and will not likely return.

I thought I heard he was on a plane heading back. No?
CC Scott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A muslim theocracy? That's a little premature. Just because the General is a muslim doesn't mean that he's going to start imposing Shariah law. Besides Thailand is around 95% buddhist with a 5% muslim minority. If he were to try impose a muslim theocracy there I don't think his grasp on power would last very long.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it!
jnarvey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to this forum topic: Um, nope.

If the general happened to be Bhuddist, would you have assumed he was trying to install a Bhuddist dictatorship?

Please, in future, do a little research before starting a thread like this.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't any Bhuddists in the world blowing themselves up and calling for the death of the Pope are there now? Please, in the future, do a little research before trying to draw an analogy.
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I rolled my eyes when I saw the title of this thread too!

:roll:

No offense of course...
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the PM going to return to Thailand? Will he be executed, ignored, forced into exile? Sounds like the tourists did not even know anything was out of the ordinary. What does this mean for the insurrgency in the South? It almost sounds like the PM was not willing to do what was necessary to restore law and order, so he was removed. I can't quite remember the details, but the first part of that last sentence sounds like an Ontario premier.
Andrew Mason

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Theocracy? Reply with quote

I agree with several other posters: why jump to the conclusion that the general is stepping in on his own behalf much less to try and set up a regime based on a religion practised by a small percentage of the population? The General has probably advanced so far up the ranks precisely because he is a good soldier and a Muslim who is loyal to the Crown. He has been dealing with the Muslim insurgency in the south with acumen. The General has also represented the Palace and its views to the press and to the government in the past. I think the King and his camarilla asked the General to act and he did. Period. What happens next is, however, anyone's guess...but the establishment of the muslim theocracy seems to be among the most remote of possibilities. Especially because the Army is primarily non-Muslim.

Jump to: