Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanpro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Sicko in the Classroom Reply with quote

Interestingly, these are the teachers who teach science, music, etc. If it was a Social Studies or even English language, okay, but what the hell does the science teacher's opinion of Stephen Harper have to do with igneous rock formations?

...more
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids tell me this happens alot, especially the one that is currently taking civics. She had tried to disagree with them in discussion, but has realized that the "teachers" are not interested in any form of areal debate....just swallow kiddies and regurgitate what they give you and you'll get your pass....she's learned to keep her opinion/truth behind her teeth to get by, but she sure has a newly opened eyed opinion about the establishment I can tell ya.
Reform

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know as recent graduate of an Alberta high school that I too had to shut my trap and keep quite about whatever discussion we had about conservatism because I knew my social studies teacher would never moderate debate to lend the debate to opening different, conservative points of view.
concerned

Reputation: 42.1Reputation: 42.1Reputation: 42.1Reputation: 42.1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:
My kids tell me this happens alot, especially the one that is currently taking civics. She had tried to disagree with them in discussion, but has realized that the "teachers" are not interested in any form of areal debate....just swallow kiddies and regurgitate what they give you and you'll get your pass....she's learned to keep her opinion/truth behind her teeth to get by, but she sure has a newly opened eyed opinion about the establishment I can tell ya.

As a teacher, I have to agree with you. It annoys me that teachers force their political views on students, without leading a healthy debate. I have to tell you that not all teachers do that though. I know that I often get ganged up on by left leaning teachers. All kids know about the election is that the environment is a problem. According to students that is the only issue they learn about. I wish I could do something to fix public education, but 1 teacher is not enough to do that.

Last edited by concerned on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 'Social Studies' instructor was remarkably fair. Tough, but definately balanced. Unfortunately, like concerned, he was an exception to the rule. Our local middle schools actually seem to be worse than the high schools; that's where the screenings for Sicko / Inconvenient Truth ... etc. are happening, and it is not unusual for the teachers to organize 'demonstrations' and letter-writing campaigns for children as young as 8. At least it is not as bad as BC, where they now have a class called 'Social Justice 12'... :roll:

Jump to: