Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Who will be the next leader of the Liberal Party? Reply with quote

Kennedy
Rae
Ignatieff

Or someone else?
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of spite, there's no way in hell Kennedy is considered.

It's got to be Iggy or Rae.

How about our good friend Danny Williams?
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the original rats might stop swimming away... ie: Frank McKenna or perhaps Brian Tobin...

-Mac
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? I was so sure it would be Rae last time, and I was wrong. Don't know if this is the race that all the big names who stayed out last time are waiting for. Who were the big liberals people were talking about last time? Tobin, McKenna? For sure McGuinty takes a swipe at it. I do not think we will see the little people like Hedy and Martha Findlay trying again. Belinda, for sure. If Trudeau gets big recognition, we could see him toss his hat in. Hell, maybe Chretien rides in on a white horse too.

Sheila Copps is not going to let two leadership conventions pass her by either. I think the only safe bet is that the civil war is not yet over, it will be another battle between the Martinites and the Chretienites, and the Liberals will once more tell everyone that everything is fine now and it is OK to vote for us and Harper has a hidden agenda....

PS. Maybe Campbell from BC too? He will be out of a job soon. David. Orchard. Ha. Ha. Ha.
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably someone who is less of a left wing nutjob than Dion.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will be Kennedy since he may not even win his seat.

Who ever comes in is gonna have a hell of a job cleaning up and rebuilding the party under two possible condidtions, both bad choices:

1) a strong minority CP government where an election could come at anytime

2) a majority CP government where they'd have to wait 4 years

Under#1 I could see Rae or Iggy giving it a shot

Under #2 I could see "lesser-names" going for it, maybe Trudeau Jr for example.

In either case, I can't see any big-names from outside the party, McKenna, McGuinty etc., making a run for it. There's just too much work needed to rebuild a devastated and almost financially bankrupt party.

It's early but under #1 I'd say Rae due to his experience. He'd be picked because he'd
able to put the party back together quickly as opposed to being able to actually win.

Under #2 I'd say most likely it will be somebody from the "b-list" of the last leadership race: Findlay-Hall, Brison or Dryden or Trudeau Jr..

However, I don't think we can discount the possibility that Dion will pull a John Turner and try to hold on, especially if he holds Harper to a minority.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
David. Orchard. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Good Lord, you're right.

He'll probably try for it.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
probably someone who is less of a left wing nutjob than Dion.

That's something to contemplate: will they want somebody to return to their "centrist" tradition, or somebody who can consolidate the left?

I think they'll actually try to go left and "unite" it under the Liberal brand.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren Kinsella speculates that Dion will stay on after the election.
Louise M.

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Warren Kinsella speculates that Dion will stay on after the election.

One can only hope. :)
Louise M.

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalton McGuinty is an interesting option for the Liberals. He signed a campaign promise not to raise taxes yet he finagled the single highest tax increase in Ontario's history, the health tax. It's true that John Tory's faith based school policy played into McGuinty's hands, but his majority victory proved that McGuinty was able to spin the positives of introducing the health tax.

The Liberals need someone completely outside the old guard and the present aspirants can't distance themselves from it. McGuinty has name recognition, is personally scandal free, is still relatively young, has lead a large Province and, is a politician through and through.

Notice that he's staying under the radar in this election as he did not endorse either Dion or the green shift. I think this is a calculated move on his part to position himself as independent from the present Liberal establishment. Who can blame him?

How well he would do nationally, who knows.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise M. wrote:
How well he would do nationally, who knows.

Maybe his brother will go for it instead? That being said, David's signs are hilarious. The Liberal logo is eliminated in half of them and those which have the logo, it's small enough to be overlooked. His "theme" is Re-Elect David McGuinty and the bigger signs usually have something like "Putting Health Care First!" or other such...

-Mac
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will do a mail-in ballot like the CPC did last time and Iggy will win on the first ballot?

If they know what's good for them. At least he will try to reinvent the party. He's also smart enough to do it.
caper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Cool Blue"]Warren Kinsella speculates that Dion will stay on after the election.[/quote]

I think this is the likliest scenario,even if the Liberals lose badly.Dion owes over 600,000 from the leadership race.If i was him i would threaten to hang on and hold the dagger of a leadership review the Liberals cannot afford to hold due to the staggering debt they will have due to this election.So what if he faces a caucus mutiny;he will hang on and negotiate with the Liberal bagmen to payoff his debt.

As for possible leabership contenders if it s a minority the usual suspects,but if it s a majority I would think someone like Dominic LeBlanc will be a strong canidate.And for laughs why not Lizzy May;after she throws the Green Party under the bus in the waning days of this election.She will be looking for a new gig.
J.R. FOLEY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Elizabeth May? ha...

The Liberals do deserve this..They chose Dion! I do think they would be at least 5-8% higher if they had Rae as the leader. Since Goodale was cleared, he would make a good candidate.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: