Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Privatize the CBC Reply with quote

It would be nice if we could win a majority but I doubt it will happen because of the media. The CBC will probably come out with a smear just before election day. If we do get lucky and win a majority, the first thing they should do is cut all funding to the CBC and privatize the company so that the next Liberal government in 2040 won't be able to use it for propaganda purposes as they have done in the past.

The overt leftist bias of the CBC was exposed by Fox News in the USA this week when they were caught trying to meddle in the American election.

Now even the Americans know how crappy and idiotic our CBC is.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before it's privatized it has to be made totally irrelevant and discredited.

If I were PM I'd give the CBC a small budget increase on the condition that it broadcast 95% Canadian content.

The other 5% can be foreign but must be produced by public broadcasters.

This is what the lefties want, but it would have the effect of devestating the CBC's ratings.

Heck, the only time I watch CBC it to see the Simpsons or Arrested Development. With those shows gone, I and a lot of other viewers would be gone. Remember, the CBC's big announcement this year is that they're getting Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, both American shows.

I'd also have a plan to sell off Hockey Night in Canada to CTV. One thing I'd do is to keep on increasing the salaries for the people involved, then after a few years when Ron and Don are making a few million a season announce that we can't afford it and that instead of paying celebrity salaries, we'll put the money in health care instead.

CBC Radio would follow a similar path; no more appealling to new audiences or mainstream. For example, CBC 2 will go back to nothing but classical music. Initially lefites would applaud moves like these because they'd see it as going back to it's main purpose.

I'd also cut back on the number of radio stations focusing on specific cities. For example, I believe in Ontario there are 4 CBC radio stations: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto and the North. I'd cut them back to one station per region: East, North, West, Ontario and Quebec. We would do this in the name of national unity and fostering a Canadian identity. In reality we'd be gutting CBC Radio and making it less appealing to local listeners.

These steps would also have the effect of dramatically lowing the cost the CBC can draw for advertising which would essentially be a cut in their funding.

After a few years of this nobody would care about the CBC and it could be reformed, privatized, partially privatized, changed to a PBS model, or whatever.

Radio-Canada would be more of an issue because it is actually very popular among Francophones unlike the CBC among Francophones. I haven't really though about how I would handle R-C but my hunch would be to ultra-commercialize it.

Another idea I had would be to add to the CBC/RC mandate the mission of promoting bilingualism (again, the lefties will love this); however in order to do this we'd do be "progressive" and show the same shows on the CBC and RC but translated in either language. This would result in programing less appealing to not only Francophones, but Anglos as well. Imagine watching a show where some actors speak French and other speak English where unilingual viewers would need to real sub-titles. Or a shows dubbed from one language to the other.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the very least its mandate should be changed to exclude political commentary.
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:

If I were PM I'd give the CBC a small budget increase on the condition that it broadcast 95% Canadian content.

This is what the lefties want, but it would have the effect of devestating the CBC's ratings.

Heck, the only time I watch CBC it to see the Simpsons or Arrested Development. With those shows gone, I and a lot of other viewers would be gone. Remember, the CBC's big announcement this year is that they're getting Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, both American shows.

I'd also have a plan to sell off Hockey Night in Canada to CTV. One thing I'd do is to keep on increasing the salaries for the people involved, then after a few years when Ron and Don are making a few million a season announce that we can't afford it and that instead of paying celebrity salaries, we'll put the money in health care instead.

CBC Radio would follow a similar path; no more appealling to new audiences or mainstream. For example, CBC 2 will go back to nothing but classical music. Initially lefites would applaud moves like these because they'd see it as going back to it's main purpose.

I'd also cut back on the number of radio stations focusing on specific cities. For example, I believe in Ontario there are 4 CBC radio stations: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto and the North. I'd cut them back to one station per region: East, North, West, Ontario and Quebec. We would do this in the name of national unity and fostering a Canadian identity. In reality we'd be gutting CBC Radio and making it less appealing to local listeners.

These steps would also have the effect of dramatically lowing the cost the CBC can draw for advertising which would essentially be a cut in their funding.

After a few years of this nobody would care about the CBC and it could be reformed, privatized, partially privatized, changed to a PBS model, or whatever.

Radio-Canada would be more of an issue because it is actually very popular among Francophones unlike the CBC among Francophones. I haven't really though about how I would handle R-C but my hunch would be to ultra-commercialize it.

Another idea I had would be to add to the CBC/RC mandate the mission of promoting bilingualism (again, the lefties will love this); however in order to do this we'd do be "progressive" and show the same shows on the CBC and RC but translated in either language. This would result in programing less appealing to not only Francophones, but Anglos as well. Imagine watching a show where some actors speak French and other speak English where unilingual viewers would need to real sub-titles. Or a shows dubbed from one language to the other.

Brilliant!
The only reason why I wish the CBC wouldn't exist is that we don't really have populist media to counter it here in Canada unlike the States where they have talk radio to counter all the BS from newspapers and major TV networks. The only thing closest to true journalism we have here are some newspaper columns and the Western Standard.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada doesn't need any Crown corporations, especially in a field like broadcasting. The CBC should be privatized and auctioned off like PetroCan was... and for the same reason... Being privatized might not change their leftard bias but at least my taxes wouldn't be involved anymore.

-Mac
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet has really nullified the argument for the need for the CBC.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The internet has really nullified the argument for the need for the CBC.

Satellite and specialty channels too.

I watch plenty of non-CBC Canadian shows on things like Discovery Canada and with satellite dishes you can get programming anywhere now so there is no need for the CBC to service remote locations anymore.
hamiltonguyo

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamilton doesn't have a CBC station. We've been lobbying for one because our only talk radio station is nothing but a cheerleader for the DiAnni-istas.

Case in point, our morning talk radio show is former liberal candidate Bill Kelly, who barely hides the fact he's still a liberal. He has NEVER had a good thing to say about a conservative.

What i'd like to have happen is CBC TV becomes a Not for profit channel, paid for by subscribers and by the CBC's for profit cable/ satellite channels. CBC radio would have a mix of government funding (for areas where no competition for talk radio exists) and through private financing and ownership of each individual affiliate station. CBC radio 2 could become a less-popular music station funded through subscriptions.

CBC would have ten years to become self sufficient (except for the one mentioned case).

Any money the CBC makes in profit above what is needed to subsidize their operations would be split between employee bonuses and funding for expansion.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I mixed up Hamilton with Windsor.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If they tried to sell it after it was totally discredited I would imagine they would get nothing for it. Not a good business strategy. I would like to see them get 2 billion for it and tehn spend that money on a nuclear sub.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think selling it would be the main "selling point".

The fact that we'd no longer be shelling out $1-2 billion a year would be worthwhile
FoxtrotBravo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:

That's a really good point.

Another approach to privatizing CBC:

Split the CBC into into two separte corporations: CBC News Corporation (News World) and CBC Cultural Corporation. Then when the time is right, and if necessary, sell CBC News Corp to private industry and use those funds to increase funding for Canadian content on the cultural network.

The added bonus of splitting the CBC into two separate corporate identities is that the news folks may quickly wise-up when they realize that they can not hide under the protection of the touchy Canadian "cultural" umbrella.

I would really like to see the government spend some serious effort on re-inventing the CBC.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoxtrotBravo wrote:
Cool Blue wrote:

That's a really good point.

Another approach to privatizing CBC:

Split the CBC into into two separte corporations: CBC News Corporation (News World) and CBC Cultural Corporation. Then when the time is right, and if necessary, sell CBC News Corp to private industry and use those funds to increase funding for Canadian content on the cultural network.

The added bonus of splitting the CBC into two separate corporate identities is that the news folks may quickly wise-up when they realize that they can not hide under the protection of the touchy Canadian "cultural" umbrella.

I would really like to see the government spend some serious effort on re-inventing the CBC.

Good plan in theory, but in practice, then governments split things up, for example the CBC, and create two divisions, they end up throwing even more money at it then if it were only one. The best bet would be to sell it… or shut it down.
scoo89

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Cool Blue"]Before it's privatized it has to be made totally irrelevant and discredited.

Another idea I had would be to add to the CBC/RC mandate the mission of promoting bilingualism (again, the lefties will love this); however in order to do this we'd do be "progressive" and show the same shows on the CBC and RC but translated in either language. This would result in programing less appealing to not only Francophones, but Anglos as well. Imagine watching a show where some actors speak French and other speak English where unilingual viewers would need to real sub-titles. Or a shows dubbed from one language to the other.[/quote]

I am a hardcore "lefty" (hell I even write left-handed) and I laughed VERY hard when I read this. It is hilarious that you know your ideas are so ridiculous that you'd have to do things under the guise of appeasing a certain group in order to further your own personal bias because you know that no one actually wants them because they are stupid. I also think it is hilarious that you'd think that reverting CBC radio stations to Classical music would please lefties because they played that once. I would like to remind you that that is in fact a very conservative thing to do, to return things to how they once were, hence "conserve" being the root of the party name. CBC providing an unbiased public service, which they do, is what leftists like.

I seriously only signed up to this site to let you know you made me laugh, right out loud, in class, my prof wasn't happy. Thank you. :D
machiavelli

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING INFORMED, AND BEING PROPAGANDERIZED

If Canada had a legitimate, small-c fiscal conservative Prime Minister he would eradicate the far-left bias, unfair and unbalanced, terrorist’s sympathizing, Khadr hugging CBC which consistently promotes and encourages revulsion for the United States. This billion dollar a year embarrassment and humiliation serves as the Canadian left’s “Ministry of Popular Enlightenment and Propaganda”.

The massively overfunded state broadcaster dislocates the free market with unfair competition by squandering its multi-billions of tax dollars without being compelled to produce a product that customers will pay to watch. If this far-left, bias, lap dog for the Liberal/NDP collation didn’t have $1.2 of tax dollars to squander it wouldn’t even have its current pathetically low ratings. For the unaccountable CBC, informing the public pursuant to both sides of a story means giving a hyped-up version of the Liberal Party’s talking points, and then producing a hyped-up reiteration of the NDP’s talking points. CBC frequently gives the impression of publishing Lib/NDP news releases verbatim, but seems to apportion a great deal of time to scrutinize, research, censure, and criticize Conservative statements.

In an age of numerous Canadian television and radio networks, satellite networks, and the internet, there is no longer any necessity for a state broadcaster; especially one scripted by left-wing affirmative action bimbos/minorities, and watched to mostly by the far-left, but paid for my people who actually work for a living and pay taxes. One of the numerous rationales for the exceptionally low quality of the state broadcaster’s regularly error overflowing “news” is its policy of sacrificing excellence in order to promote its far left Liberal/NDP agenda, plus its diversity goals to hire recent immigrants with their habitually inferior journalistic credentials.

As opposed to producing quality, informative, balanced, unbiased journalism that Canadian tax payers are over paying for, the state broadcaster has an immense creditability gap, is guilty of oversimplification and “dumping down” news, fails to distinguish between opinion and comments, favors form over content, and has no public trust with anyone not on the extreme left!

If Harper was a genuine small-c conservative he would immediately begin to eradicate the deficit/debt by changing this embarrassment to a private pay for view station, sell the complete far-left bias Khadr hugging state broadcaster, or simply shut down this far-left bimbo/minority scripted degradation to humanity.

Last edited by machiavelli on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: