Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Tory Election Platform Reply with quote

The election is on us now (well soon...). And even if it is once again "just talk", I think that it is time we start hashing out what we would like to see as a part of the CPC platform.

Good place to start (but please add more..): What's the best way to deal with a shaky economy?
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing should be considered is building another nuclear facility.

- Shuts down coal-fired facilities
- Cleaner (but has it's own "dirty" problems..)
- Takes the load off of the Chalk River facility for providing isotopes for Cancer treatment.
- Chalk River facility could then be shut down for a period of time for much needed modernization, safety upgrades.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To shut down coal facilities, you would not need one nuclear plant, you would need at least a dozen. The environment is officially over as a means to sway voters, Dion's shift killed it. The new big issue is the economy, same as the old big issue.

It is now time to start shrinking the size and scope of government in this country. For 30 years we have experienced first hand what unfettered government can do for a country, and it is time to admit that the experiment is a complete failure. The next election platform should be all about smaller government, less spending, less tax, less intrusion into lives, more power for the individual, more independence for the individual. People want to have jobs, and lead their lives free from the threat of crime and the intimidation of the state; that should be the next election platform.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this about what we'd like to see or what we think we'll see?

I'd like to see income splitting, though I don't think it will happen.

I think we'll see a cut to the gas and/or diesel tax which will be more of a strategic move.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
I think we'll see a cut to the gas and/or diesel tax which will be more of a strategic move.

I hope not. That would be bad policy. It would be very difficult for Harper to claim to be a champion of the environment while cutting the gas tax. I'd much rather see cuts to income taxes.
Luca Colasanto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually for some time now I have been thinking that a reduction in the gas tax, or fixing it to a certain dollar figure would be a good idea. While the ideal tax cut is targeted at income taxes, any economist knows that expensive energy hurts an economy.

Therefore, a reduction in the gas tax would be a great strategic move, clearly delineating a difference between the CPC and LPC, as well as being a relatively positive economic move.

I think income splitting would be great however if it is done I am pretty sure it would be the only affordable tax cut, as I can't realistically see Harper campaigning on reducing spending in nominal dollars.

Other than that I am really not sure what else could be in the platform. Some tough on crime stuff I think would be good, but I am pretty sure they will want to go for the 5 Priorities again. What could be the other 4?

Maybe something about devolution of powers etc...?
marklar

Reputation: 38.5Reputation: 38.5Reputation: 38.5Reputation: 38.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luca Colasanto wrote:

Therefore, a reduction in the gas tax would be a great strategic move, clearly delineating a difference between the CPC and LPC, as well as being a relatively positive economic move.

I agree, it would provide a good boost to the manufacturing industry who are getting hammered by shipping costs since the rise of oil. They're a strong component of the Ontario economy, where the CPC could use some more support. Not to mention, manufacturers have been quite vocal in recent years, so it could lead to decent earned media during a campaign.

I'd like to see more progress on law and order, specifically on the YCJA.

If the case was made well, continuing to lower corporate taxes could be a big issue given the economic worries on everyone's mind. I'm not sure how commonly known it is, but they have the highest corporate tax rates in the western world. With the economic and political climate in the US, I don't see corporate tax cuts being on their agenda in the near future. We should use the opportunity to open up a bigger tax gap between Canada and the US to attract more business here.

Hmm, what else...Income tax cuts are always popular with me.

As for the boring issues that i'd like to see brought up: Senate Reform (i'd love a referredum to be held during the election); EI reform, ideally privatization; Elimination of federal subsidies to political parties; Imposing free trade/labour mobility on the provinces; national securities regulator.
marklar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luca Colasanto wrote:

I agree, it would provide a good boost to the manufacturing industry who are getting hammered by shipping costs since the rise of oil. They're a strong component of the Ontario economy, where the CPC could use some more support. Not to mention, manufacturers have been quite vocal in recent years, so it could lead to decent earned media during a campaign.

I'd like to see more progress on law and order, specifically on the YCJA.

If the case was made well, continuing to lower corporate taxes could be a big issue given the economic worries on everyone's mind. I'm not sure how commonly known it is, but the US has the highest corporate tax rates in the western world. With the economic and political climate there, I don't see corporate tax cuts being on their agenda in the near future. We should use the opportunity to open up a bigger tax gap between Canada and the US to attract more business here.

Hmm, what else...Income tax cuts are always popular with me.

As for the boring issues that i'd like to see brought up: Senate Reform (i'd love a referredum to be held during the election); EI reform, ideally privatization; Elimination of federal subsidies to political parties; Imposing free trade/labour mobility on the provinces; national securities regulator.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope not. That would be bad policy. It would be very difficult for Harper to claim to be a champion of the environment while cutting the gas tax. I'd much rather see cuts to income taxes.

I don't think you get it.

1) Harper doesn't want to be seen as the champion of the environment. He's happy for Dion, Layton and May to split that vote 3 ways. Besides, people who care about that stuff wouldn't vote for him anyway.

All he has to do is look competent enough on the environment so that he doesn't turn off swing voters.

2) It would force the Liberals to argue against cutting fuel taxes, so their message to voters would be that they want more higher gas prices. It will be hard for Diion to convince people that he won't tax gasoline when he's also arguing for higher fuel taxes. It will make him look like a hypocrite.

3) Much like the GST cut and child benefit last time, it will highlight the fact that Liberals are out of touch with ordinary voters

Harper = Lower GST, $100 per child for everybody
Martin = we'll tax you and pay daycare for some of you because you can't be trusted to raise your own kids or spend your own money

Harper = Lower fuel prices
Dion = higher fuel prices, carbon tax on everything and we might send some people a cheque or tax credit to make up for some of the money we'll take
hamiltonguyo

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think probably a diesel tax cut would be best economically compared to a gas tax cut.

Plus Dion is proposing quadrupling the tax on diesel.

Point out that slashing Diesel works its way through to everything including food.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way the CPC could lose the next election is if they try to be the "Environmental Champion". If they do that, then they are just one of 4 or 5 parties who are all doing the exact same thing; trying to cherry pick the water melon vote (green on the outside, red on the inside). This is a demographic that will simply never vote for the CPC regardless, they are ideologically opposed to anything that is labeled conservative whether it is a good idea or not, so there is no point trying to win them over. The way to win is to be the only guy talking about important issues, and let the other parties bloody themselves fighting over the watermelons. Then you are playing to the majority of the citizenry.

Talk about the economy, talk about government getting out of people's way so that can start businesses and start giving people jobs. People like having jobs; it trumps everything else.
Luca Colasanto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to my previous post, I think that the CPC, while maybe a minor platform point, should add in the idea of removing state-sponsored subsidies to political parties. This would force the Liberals into the unenviable situation of explaining to Canadians why they have a right to taxpayer money.

Harper could say that he believes that the government should not be sponsoring political parties in order to make sure that they remain independant. He could also mention that parties have enough money and don't need to reach into hard-working Canadians' pockets so that they can run ads.

It would rally the conservative vote as well as pull some swing voters, especially with the economic slow-down.

(There is also the added benefit of putting another nail in the "Natural Governing Party's" coffin. Let's see where they get their money now...)
marklar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luca Colasanto wrote:
(There is also the added benefit of putting another nail in the "Natural Governing Party's" coffin. Let's see where they get their money now...)

Not to mention, doesn't something like over 90% of the Bloc's funding come from the subsidy these days?

yep, there it is: http://www.nationalpost.com/op.....?id=696344

The Bloc raised $74,000 so far this YEAR....while taking in 1.5 MILLION in subsidies.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not to mention, doesn't something like over 90% of the Bloc's funding come from the subsidy these days?

yep, there it is: http://www.nationalpost.com/op.....?id=696344

The Bloc raised $74,000 so far this YEAR....while taking in 1.5 MILLION in subsidies.

Brilliant. The policy of not financing political parties would be a winner with many people.

How about a constitutional amendment guaranteeing freedom of expression and freedom of the press. Freedom sells big time with erveryone but the hardcore lefties.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To add to my previous post, I think that the CPC, while maybe a minor platform point, should add in the idea of removing state-sponsored subsidies to political parties

Harper talked about this in the past. He called it "political welfare".

I could see it being part of a larger democratic reform plan.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: