Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think jingoist has the same origin as the term "jingle". A jingoist would be somebody who believes in and spouts superficial slogans. It could be applied to a warmonger.
Bleatmop

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jingoism is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as "extreme patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy".[1] In practice, it refers to the advocation of the use of threats of or actual force against other countries in order to safeguard what they perceive as their country's national interests, and colloquially to excessive bias in judging one's own country as superior to others.

Source
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What conservative means to me is the practice and phisophy of being fiscal Responbile,Common Sense Realist in seeing the world as it is and Country. Socially Moral in knowing what needs to be done in setting things right. Being calm in the face of hatred but speak with deterimnation and will to see it throught...That is what Conservative means to me personally.
Christian Conservative

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm... how do I define a "conservative"...

To me, conservatism involves a few key elements, which "conservatives" will have in varying degrees:

1) Fiscal Conservatism - a recognition that lower taxes and less red tape fosters business growth, and when business grows, more people are employed

2) Less Government - this one's a tricky one, as I would not consider myself a "small government" kinda guy, but a "medium-sized government" advocate. There are lots of things I think the government should do, and should not be privatized, like hydro re: Ontario Power Generation Corp., or Healthcare, though I do support more private delivery of some health services. (and I say that as someone who's worked in Healthcare for the last 7 years)

3) Law and Order - nuff said... though some interpretations of what that entails obviously differ

4) Social Issues - now this one's where the fur flies... I'm a hard core So-Con, as you can imagine, but our Party is more than big enough for my gay friend. Basically, I don't think the Government should be in the business of trying to redefine "right and wrong" in regards to moral issues. My biggest problem with the whole SSM issue was that the Government was trying to tell me that my POV, which is based on the Bible, was wrong... the Government has no business meddling in matters of faith.

I guess I'm also somewhat of a weird bird in the Party, because I don't necessarily agree that the "grassroots" knows what's best, as we've seen many times in the past. While I agree that more of our voices need to be heard in the democratic process, I don't think that major decisions can be left in the hands of those who are only superficially informed on particular issues. I also think that sometimes the "grassroots" can make a bad decision based on poor or misleading information, if one person or a group of individuals are able to sway enough of them to get their desired result. I have no problems with having groups like the National Council making certain decisions, but "Conservatives" need to recognize that sometimes, someone else does indeed know better than we do.

Anyway, that's only a partial set of thoughts, but my brain is dead tonight
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A conservative believes in less government, low taxes, fiscal restraint, human dignity, free enterprise, family values, individual liberties, free speech, and other stuff that liberals don't believe in.:)
Sean McAllister

Reputation: 35.3Reputation: 35.3Reputation: 35.3Reputation: 35.3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Conservative Reply with quote

Common sense. That's what it means to me. It makes sense to me to raise the age of consent. It makes sense to me to get tougher on crime. Just those 2 things that the Liberals fought against is enough for me to never vote Liberal. How could I ever support someone that thinks protecting children and punishing criminals is a bad idea?
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Conservative Reply with quote

Sean McAllister wrote:
Common sense. That's what it means to me. It makes sense to me to raise the age of consent. It makes sense to me to get tougher on crime. Just those 2 things that the Liberals fought against is enough for me to never vote Liberal. How could I ever support someone that thinks protecting children and punishing criminals is a bad idea?

It makes sense to me not to put someone in jail for smoking pot, to allow a woman to choose what to do with her body, to not prevent two people of the same gender from getting married, to avoid unnecessary wars, etc...
Unfortunately, no one political party or ideology has a monopoly on "common sense". On some issues, conservatives have it right, on other issues liberals have it right.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservativsm means alot being Fiscally responbile speaks well of one's restrain on being who they are as people.
Sean McAllister

Reputation: 35.3Reputation: 35.3Reputation: 35.3Reputation: 35.3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Conservative Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Sean McAllister wrote:

It makes sense to me not to put someone in jail for smoking pot, to allow a woman to choose what to do with her body, to not prevent two people of the same gender from getting married, to avoid unnecessary wars, etc...
Unfortunately, no one political party or ideology has a monopoly on "common sense". On some issues, conservatives have it right, on other issues liberals have it right.

Okay, so you are a drug user, you don't approve in abortion, and you think that everyone else in the world should fight terrorism except Canada. I think we'll agree to disagree.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Conservative Reply with quote

Sean McAllister wrote:
Okay, so you are a drug user...

Wrong.
Quote:
you don't approve in abortion

Huh?
Quote:
and you think that everyone else in the world should fight terrorism except Canada.

Wrong again.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So your a Libertarian. 8)

All this time I thought you were a Liberal. :oops:
gc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
So your a Libertarian. 8)

I guess you could say that. Basically, I believe in smaller government. Fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I do believe there are roles for government though, so I'm not as libertarian as, say, Ron Paul supporters. :wink:
stezam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a conservative, I believe in smaller government. I believe the free market capitalist system is the best and most just system weíve ever had, as far as individual liberty goes. I believe in the sanctity of life. Although I am not what one considers religious, I think abortion is wrong. Thatís my choice. I think every person who is against abortion should teach this to their children. I believe in school choice. I despise corporate welfare. I think liberals are wrong on the issues. I think you see prosperity all around you despite them. Conservatives believe low taxes and less regulation will help create greater prosperity. Liberals are steadfast when it comes to their platitudinous rhetoric on the 40 year war on poverty, without results, without new ideas. Conservatives know liberals want to assault human nature. Their ends are not possible. Rich and poor are necessary in a free society. It couldnít be any other way.

We believe in people. We trust them. We know they make mistakes. We know some are more productive than others, yet we want everyone to have an equal chance, through their own merits of course. We know liberals need victims; they need clients. If youíre black, they need your feeling you have no stake in society. They think you need some special help. They are the bigots. Believe me. If you are of the lower economic spectrum, they need you feeling like youíre not getting yours. And those rich people, theyíre taking something from you. All their prescriptions must appear to be at the expense of someone else, while helping you. Identity politics is the altar at which they worship. Division is the game they play to get elected. Conservatives know when people do well for themselves; itís not good for liberals. They canít have us free, because they wonít have their power. Has anyone asked themselves this, how can poverty groups ignore the greatest vehicle for freedom and prosperity ever known, namely capitalism? They detest it. It makes me wonder about their motives.

Conservatives know the world is governed by force. They know evil exists and they know someone has to fight it. Liberals think everyone has a grievance that we need to talk about. Liberals are about feeling and caring. Results donít matter. Conservatism is intellectual common sense. Conservatism is logic and reason.
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Conservative Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Sean McAllister wrote:

It makes sense to me not to put someone in jail for smoking pot,

I agree.

Quote:
to allow a woman to choose what to do with her body,

I'm strongly pro-life for many reasons, but I realize that abortion policy won't be changing any time soon, if ever.

I don't see how its "common sense" for it to be legal to allow for the killing of an innocent human being, albeit unborn. There's enough scientific data out there that there's no question that some abortions really are tantamount to murder.

Quote:
to not prevent two people of the same gender from getting married,

The government shouldn't prevent it... but by the same token I don't think that the government should be basically coercing people to embrace this either.

I know where Christian Conservative is coming from - it shouldn't be the government's job to define what "marriage" is, and ensure that all of the citizenry have to go along with that.

This is why I support the gay civil union compromise... though I do realize that at this point, ssm law in Canada won't change.

Quote:
to avoid unnecessary wars, etc...

I agree. At this juncture, I think that Stephen Harper agrees as well.

Of your four clearly stated issues here, the only one where Stephen Harper is likely to actually govern in a way that you don't like is on pot use.

The current Conservative party really is a pretty even mix of conservatism and libertarianism.
gc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Conservative Reply with quote

Habsrwfan wrote:
Of your four clearly stated issues here, the only one where Stephen Harper is likely to actually govern in a way that you don't like is on pot use.

Harper was also strongly opposed to SSM. I realize that the law is not going to change anytime soon, but if Harper had his way there would be no SSM. Same with unnecessary wars (e.g. Iraq). Even though I'm sure Harper has no plans for Canada to be in Iraq, if he was the PM at the time, we would be in Iraq. Finally, with abortion, I don't know where Harper stands. I suspect that he is probably personally opposed to abortion, but also realizes that is a very unpopular position in Canada and thus would never try to ban it for fear of voter backlash.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

Jump to: