Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: HRC Complaint Against the Star Reply with quote

I started a thread a year and a half ago called "Toronto Star Sinks to New Low" and was wondering what everyone thought about filing a complaint with the Ontario Humans rights Commission concerning the comments of Chris Hedges article calling Christians fascists. This is certainly stronger than Steyn's article.

Quote:
Article today about Christian Right fascists is a slap in the face to every person who lived through the horrors of Nazi Germany. The article calls the religious right in the States Fascist and says that Christians care nothing for the poorand hate their enemies.
Chris Hedges writes:

Quote:
America's religious right, he argues, is a mass movement with many common elements of classic fascism: rampant nationalism, militarism, contempt for the poor, rejection of liberal values, disdain for intellectual truth, and a licence to hate, if not kill, those who oppose its views. And this against a backdrop of pervasive corporate power

Quote:
Then they call Harper a fascist

Quote:
Since the election of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservative government, Hedges says, there are unsettling signs that our own liberal democratic values are under threat. "Look at the policies he espouses. He wants to beef up the military. There's hostility to social welfare and health care benefits. There's tolerance for pseudo-science myth in the form of creationism and the literal word of God.

Quote:
In other words" How dare anyone who is religous take part in Democracy while actually believing in God" And if are Right of Centre you are obviously a Fascists.

This is the vililest piece of trash I have ever read. I never understood why the Star hated Harper. Now I do. He is a Christian. And he is Right of centre. Which makes him a Religious right fascist.

I bought their newspaper because of Chantal Hebert, Gord Stimmel's wine articles and because they are the cheapest to get by subsciption. Tommorrow I cancel.

What would a HRC make of this. I felt very offended and thought other Canadians(especially in Toronto) might start to feel threatened by Christians leading them to hate us. :shock:
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be counterproductive. Believe it or not, the Star is (silently) on side against what the HRCs have done.

Such a complaint would almost certainly be dismissed, which would fuel the arguments of Warman, Kinsella, and others that the HRCs are acting appropriately and with proper discretion. Which would in turn bring some fence sitters and media figures into their camp instead of ours.

Nevermind that it is philisophically abhorrent to people arguing from a free speech or libertarian perspective, rather than those mostly concerned with freedom of religion. So while I empathize with the intent, it's a bad idea.

Jump to: