Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Who should Obama Choose? Reply with quote

Like most folks who have not written a cheque to "Clinton for America 2008" I think its a pretty safe bet to break out the salami and cheese and call the Democratic race for Obama.

With that said, is he pretty well forced to take Clinton as his running mate? or is there an alternative out there he will turn to?

My thinking is that he needs someone to balance the lack of experience when compared to McCain and one of the few Democrats I see that could aide him would be someone like Wesley Clark,

What are the thoughts of the group?
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Who should Obama Choose? Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
With that said, is he pretty well forced to take Clinton as his running mate? or is there an alternative out there he will turn to?

I could be wrong, but considering the fact that he wouldn't say that he is considering Clinton and instead avoids answering that question, I doubt he is going to choose Clinton.

Personally I think he should pick Richardson.

As for your concerns about experience, I think Richardson brings a lot of experience with him.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters. The way the race is playing out, the Democrats are going to lose the election. First of, the losing side is going to be furious with the winning side; either Hillary's supporters will sit on their hands, or Obama's will. Second, McCain can take almost any criticism of either candidate, and credibly say "these are not my words, his/her own party thinks this", and simply bring out some literature from the primaries published by the losing side.

It is funny, but the naked ambition displayed by both candidates is going to lose them the prize they each so desperately seek.

But seeing as how he has to choose someone, why not Lieberman? He is going to have to tap someone with grey hair to deflect the obvious criticisms about his inexperience and lack of seasoning.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
I don't think it matters. The way the race is playing out, the Democrats are going to lose the election.

Funny, because the polls show the Democrats way out in front...
Wallace

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope hillary wins, if only because it's the one john stewart said he hoped loses.
But no, never trust the media when it comes to elections, their polls mean nothing.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's what it showed last time too.
gc

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
That's what it showed last time too.

Do you have a link for that?

The best I could find showed Bush ahead of Kerry, or at best neck and neck with him. This time around the polls have been pretty consistently in favour of the Democrats.
link
and
link
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you know what they say about polls ... At any rate, there's no way Obama's going to go with Clinton - too much bad blood, and I don't think Shrillary would take second place even if there wasn't.

Lieberman would be a good choice for Clinton (if he wanted to come back), but certain elements of Obama's base wouldn't be able to, er, handle that. Heck, if I judged on association, Obama himself probably couldn't. Like gc said, Richardson would probably be a solid choice. Maybe one of the 'blue dogs' from the South.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have a link for that?

Nope. I recall exit polls on election day were predicting a huge Kerry win.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

29% of Dems want Hillary to run as an independent. It would be an interesting strategy. She is good friends with McCain and McCain is too old for an eight year reign. If she runs Obama will not win in November and that opens the door for her.
gc

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Lieberman would be a good choice for Clinton

Didn't Lieberman already endorse McCain? I would think that would rule out any chance of him becoming the Democratic VP candidate.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:
I don't think it matters. The way the race is playing out, the Democrats are going to lose the election.

Well I tend to take any polls before a leadership race is over with a grain of salt,
Because if you ask a Clinton or Obama supporter today:

"Which party will you vote for in November?"

They will both say Democrat, but if you look at the polling questions after many of these Primaries about if Obama supporters will support Hillary, and vice versa the numbers are rapidly getting higher and higher in the "No" category.

Once a candidate is selected, I will be interested in the first poll a week after that.

Lets see how many of the other candidates supporters the other can retain.
gc

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
29% of Dems want Hillary to run as an independent. It would be an interesting strategy. She is good friends with McCain and McCain is too old for an eight year reign. If she runs Obama will not win in November and that opens the door for her.

I think Clinton has already said that she would campaign for Obama if he wins the nomination.

If Clinton runs as an independent to try and get Obama to lose, then she is even more selfish than I thought (and I didn't think much of her to begin with). I imagine there might also be some backlash in 2012 if Democrats thought she was the reason that they lost in 2008.
gc

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Because if you ask a Clinton or Obama supporter today:

"Which party will you vote for in November?"

They will both say Democrat, but if you look at the polling questions after many of these Primaries about if Obama supporters will support Hillary, and vice versa the numbers are rapidly getting higher and higher in the "No" category.

Once a candidate is selected, I will be interested in the first poll a week after that.

Lets see how many of the other candidates supporters the other can retain.

The link I posted did not ask that question. It specifically asked whether pepole would vote for Obama vs. McCain and Clinton vs. McCain. I would also think that it would be in the best interest of a Clinton supporter to say that they will vote for McCain over Obama, but when push comes to shove I doubt many will...so if anything the Democrat numbers could be underestimated.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Who should Obama Choose? Reply with quote

gc wrote:

Personally I think he should pick Richardson.

As for your concerns about experience, I think Richardson brings a lot of experience with him.

An African American and Latino Ticket?

That is brilliant.

All of a sudden you potentially put New Mexico, Nevada, Florida, Louisiana, Tennessee and Georgia into play.

13.1% of the United States Population is African American, and 15.1% is Latino. These are both groups that in large part tend to turn out on elections in fewer numbers then the national average, that sort of ticket could potentially change the landscape for voter turn out.

I rarely agree with you gc, but that may be the best bet for Obama.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: