Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: The Myths of Organic Food Reply with quote

Posted here, because I couldn't find a better place.

Dr. Rob Johnston wrote:
Myth one: Organic farming is good for the environment
... LCA assessment counts the energy used to manufacture pesticide for growing cattle feed, but still shows that a kilo of organic beef releases 12 per cent more GHGs, causes twice as much nutrient pollution and more acid rain.

Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) relates food production to: energy required to manufacture artificial fertilisers and pesticides; fossil fuel burnt by farm equipment; nutrient pollution caused by nitrate and phosphate run-off into water courses; release of gases that cause acid rain; and the area of land farmed. A similar review by the University of Hohenheim, Germany, in 2000 reached the same conclusions (Hohenheim is a proponent of organic farming and quoted by the Soil Association)...

More interesting tidbits here: The Independant, h/t to Junker at SDA
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife (the vegetarian) figures that as the earth's population continues to rise, cattle and swine will cease to be viable as food staples so, according to her, organic versus regular becomes a moot point.

-Mac
Sheila

votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would chose organic over non-organic any day of the week. My brother used to work on a seed potato farm and they sprayed the crop 7 times. And you're not even eating these. Apples are sprayed 8 times. I would much rather eat something that has been sprayed a couple times as opposed to the usual 7 or 8 times.
I dare anyone to take the taste test. Buy a bag of organic apples and you be the judge.
BTW my dad used to use a mercury based seed treatment for his crops. This was before there were any warning signs on the side of the container. Does mercury ever disappear? I'm betting the crops will be contaminated forever. Non organic crops, you have no idea what it contains. Check out this monsanto video.
http://articles.mercola.com/si.....?source=nl
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh
GM food, American Beef, Bird Flu, Organic and non-organic food.
All that stuff is used by the media to scare people and sell papers.
I dont worry about it. Ill buy whatever tastes good.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how well I do in the fall, I eat wild meat most of the time. But I'm not too concerned about what's in my beef, either. I had a college roomate who folks did almost entirely free-range and organic, and it was great food, but not exactly cheap - and there's no way we could feed the planet that way sustainably, IMO.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with organic food is the lower yields. You don't want people to starve, you need fertilizer, irrigation, modern intensive farming techniques.
Bleatmop

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purposefully avoid organic food. I don't want any hippie food in my system.
Sheila

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleatmop wrote:

I guess you would rather injest the pesticides instead?
The Monsanto video is a real eye opener, pretty sure none of you have seen it because it was only released in March in France. In 1998 Monsanto tried to bribe Health Canada to include the drug given to milk cows to produce more milk. The only reason that bill did not go through was because of a whistle-blower at Health Canada. It's too bad she doesn't work for Health Canada anymore. I'm sure a lot more whistles could be blown.
To FFCanuck, a few years ago I started buying organic beef. My husband said it smells and tastes just like beef used to taste and smell 20 years ago. There is no way I will go back to buying the crap in the grocery stores. Thankfully I know enough farmers that have free range, no pesticides, no immunizations. Thank you for getting some of those damn deer off the road. :lol:
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to say, the claims of the organic food people are overblown. I find it funny, any article or bad word cannot be trusted, because Monsanto paid them. But an organic marketing lobby group? Why, their word is as good ad gold, what reason would they have to lie?

Short reply, there is no point, organic food is yet another modern religion adhered to by people who refuse to believe in God, but will believe anything and everything else.
Sheila

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Needless to say, the claims of the organic food people are overblown. I find it funny, any article or bad word cannot be trusted, because Monsanto paid them. But an organic marketing lobby group? Why, their word is as good ad gold, what reason would they have to lie?

Short reply, there is no point, organic food is yet another modern religion adhered to by people who refuse to believe in God, but will believe anything and everything else.

The evidence speaks for itself, if you care to look at it.
Bleatmop

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:
Bleatmop wrote:

I guess you would rather injest the pesticides instead?
The Monsanto video is a real eye opener, pretty sure none of you have seen it because it was only released in March in France. In 1998 Monsanto tried to bribe Health Canada to include the drug given to milk cows to produce more milk. The only reason that bill did not go through was because of a whistle-blower at Health Canada. It's too bad she doesn't work for Health Canada anymore. I'm sure a lot more whistles could be blown.
To FFCanuck, a few years ago I started buying organic beef. My husband said it smells and tastes just like beef used to taste and smell 20 years ago. There is no way I will go back to buying the crap in the grocery stores. Thankfully I know enough farmers that have free range, no pesticides, no immunizations. Thank you for getting some of those damn deer off the road. :lol:

Meh. I haven't died or become ill yet from the food I eat, nor has anyone in my family, quick or dead. Besides, I like the taste of my pesticide, hormone ridden beef that I eat. I also like that GE foods will save hundreds of millions, if not billions of people from going hungry in my lifetime.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you even know what they were feeding cows 20 years ago? High protein feed, made from other cows; bone and blood meal straight from the slaughter house. It is how the whole BSE thing got started. So perhaps this meat that smells and tastes like it did 20 years ago is not such a good thing after all.

As you say, the evidence speaks for itself.
Mike McB

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, someone could answer these two simple questions regarding Organics:

1. Who certifies and verifies that food is actually Organic. Or does the farmer self certify?

2. What common standards apply to food that is labeled Organic?

I am just curious...
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dare anyone to take the taste test. Buy a bag of organic apples and you be the judge.

Actually, I just tried some organic apples last week and I hated them! They were Red Delicious and the meat had the texture and tasted like a pealed apple that had been exposed to the air for a few hours.
Sheila

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Do you even know what they were feeding cows 20 years ago? High protein feed, made from other cows; bone and blood meal straight from the slaughter house. It is how the whole BSE thing got started. So perhaps this meat that smells and tastes like it did 20 years ago is not such a good thing after all.

As you say, the evidence speaks for itself.

You misunderstood me. Up until 20 years ago we always ate good farm raised beef which had never eaten the high protein feed. Other than the last few years, we had always purchased our beef from the grocery stores. A friend used to own the auction mart and believe me, I've seen the cattle that go into our food chain. Cattle are usually culled and sold due to inability to reproduce, cancer and other ailments. And don't forget the growth hormone which I first saw in the '70s. A little capsule attached to their ear to gain weight, faster. Did you ever stop and wonder why people are taller now than they were, say 50 years ago?
To Mike McB, I believe the organic laws in Canada are two years pesticide free. Not sure if the government comes back to check. I think that if they make the committment to raise organic, it would be in their best interest to continue to make sure that it is. If they don't, I guess their sales will drop. As with any business, there will always be the bad ones.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: