Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheila

votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FascistLibertarian wrote:
meh
GM food, American Beef, Bird Flu, Organic and non-organic food.
All that stuff is used by the media to scare people and sell papers.

I would have thought that too, Fascist Libertarian. But something happened in December of 2006 which made me change my mind. When PM Harper was announcing his ban on legacy chemicals, afterwards the media were asking him questions. One reporter asked the PM if his government was concerned with safety of the food on our shelves. He replied that his government was concerned with the food on our shelves as the long term effect may lead to heart disease and cancer. This was live on CTV and I know that all the other media was there too. Now you would think that the media would have taken this and absolutely ran with it. No, I watched the news for days after, just to see that clip, never to be seen again. Now, I ask you, why didn't the media take it and run with it?
(BTW I trust what my Prime Minister says is true, and I'm sure he got severely spanked down for this)

Last edited by Sheila on Thu May 15, 2008 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike McB

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:

To Mike McB, I believe the organic laws in Canada are two years pesticide free. Not sure if the government comes back to check. I think that if they make the committment to raise organic, it would be in their best interest to continue to make sure that it is. If they don't, I guess their sales will drop. As with any business, there will always be the bad ones.

From my understanding of Organics is that there is actually no regulatory body that governs it. Basically, I can grow something in my backyard and claim that it is organic and as far as the Government is concerned it is..

Thats' the problem with Organics, there is no real standard behind the products.. There is no test in place to see if if it is actually authentic or not..

Of course, the stuff we are getting from the big grocery chains is definitely more risk free then stuff that you would get at the local market.. They have to be more concerned with liability..
Sheila

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when was the last time big grocery chains were sued for food contamination?
All that tainted produce and products from China, who was liable for that? They are just told to pull that produce/products off the shelves, no liability there. But they'll turn around and hammer the little guy, so he can pay thousands of dollars in liability insurance so he can sell a few damn organic potatoes.

Last edited by Sheila on Thu May 15, 2008 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not too long ago that some people died from eating organic spinach in the US. It was contaminated with e-coli as I remember it.
Sheila

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
It was not too long ago that some people died from eating organic spinach in the US. It was contaminated with e-coli as I remember it.

Did anyone die in Canada?
Sheila

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.....450C330573

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/pub.....32079.aspx

http://www.washingtonpost.com/.....01712.html

http://www.seedsofdeception.co.....ectID=1264

Reports of genetic pollution and genetic drift continue to proliferate.
According to a CBC (Canada) radio broadcast (6/2/01), genetically engineered canola plants are showing up in farmers' fields all across the Canadian prairie, even though many of them have never planted GE seeds. Martin Phillipson, a University of Saskatchewan law professor, said that Monsanto may be liable for damages if their gene-altered, herbicide resistant canola continues to spread. "The GM canola has, in fact, spread much more rapidly than we thought it would," said Martin Entz, a plant scientist at the University of Manitoba.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, last year the federal government started regulating what can be labeled "organic".
Mike McB

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:
And when was the last time big grocery chains were sued for food contamination?

What I meant was that in general the food could be considered safer from a large grocery chain then a smaller store because of the liability factor. I have been to Organic food stores and the markup on the products is unbelievable. I asked the person on how they know the food is actually organic and all they will say is that they buy off of a reputable supplier.

I buy my beef and poultry from my cousin who is a farmer and would much rather buy off of the "little guy" then anyone else.

As for Cool Blue.. The government may say what is Organic and what is not but there is still no regulatory body to oversee whether or not the food is actually authentic.. I know this because my wife worked for CSA for several years and that was one things that they were looking at and knew that there was a huge loop hole.
Sheila

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, the mark-up on organic food is quite high, I agree. I look at it this way, how much should I pay for my families health and well-being. I hate to admit it, but no price is too high. I know damn well that the produce has been pesticided to death at the big grocery stores. I know pesticides do not wash off. As it's applied it becomes embedded in the plant. The High Fructose Corn Syrup is in so many of our foods, like Aunt Jemima's Syrup, I switched to organic maple syrup.
And of course I have to post this about Monsanto http://v.mercola.com/blogs/pub.....62761.aspx
If you believe our food is safe, why do you buy your beef and chicken off of your cousin? Wouldn't it be more convenient for you to get that at the grocery store? It's not like what you buy off of him, is going to make or break him? Is it because you don't believe the meat you buy at the grocery store is good for you?
Bleatmop

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gay and Right just posted an article from the UK Telegraph about organic foods. Some highlights:

Quote:
That famous research "proving" that organic milk was richer in Omega-3 than the ordinary stuff, for example, turned out to be skewed. It compared the produce of an organic herd lovingly outdoor-reared in lush pastureland, with the produce from non-organic cows (non-organic? They're still ruddy animals, aren't they?) which had been kept mostly indoors and fed on dry food.

Nor is it clear that organic saves the environment. A biochemist at Edinburgh University, Anthony Trewavas, has shown that organic uses more energy per tonne of food produced because the yields are lower. Also, because it requires more land - roughly twice as much as conventionally grown food - it means there is less available to be left unfarmed for biodiversity.

As for the oft-cited claim that organic food stops you ingesting tons of deadly cancer-causing pesticides - this got short shrift from Sir John Krebs of the Food Standards Agency. He wrote in Nature magazine: "A single cup of coffee contains natural carcinogens equal to at least a year's worth of carcinogenic synthetic residues in the diet."
[/quote]
Sheila

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleatmop wrote:
Gay and Right just posted an article from the UK Telegraph about organic foods. Some highlights:

Quote:
That famous research "proving" that organic milk was richer in Omega-3 than the ordinary stuff, for example, turned out to be skewed. It compared the produce of an organic herd lovingly outdoor-reared in lush pastureland, with the produce from non-organic cows (non-organic? They're still ruddy animals, aren't they?) which had been kept mostly indoors and fed on dry food.

Nor is it clear that organic saves the environment. A biochemist at Edinburgh University, Anthony Trewavas, has shown that organic uses more energy per tonne of food produced because the yields are lower. Also, because it requires more land - roughly twice as much as conventionally grown food - it means there is less available to be left unfarmed for biodiversity.

As for the oft-cited claim that organic food stops you ingesting tons of deadly cancer-causing pesticides - this got short shrift from Sir John Krebs of the Food Standards Agency. He wrote in Nature magazine: "A single cup of coffee contains natural carcinogens equal to at least a year's worth of carcinogenic synthetic residues in the diet."
[/quote]

He says there is no difference between free range and feedlot cattle? Obviously the man has never made it out of the city and knows nothing about cattle. A few years ago a friend had sprayed their hay crop with pesticides to reduce the risk of grasshoppers. When she asked a well known government official what to do with the hay, now that it was toast, the government official told her to let her cattle graze on it. Unbelievable. But that's ok, that's what YOU are eating.
I don't really care if organic saves the environment. I only care that it is saving my family. You can chose to eat whatever you like.
I love my organic coffee. "Nature" magazine is like the CBC, you never know if it's the truth.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of the hype is from people who simply do not understand pesticides. Simply put, it does not stay there forever; in a few weeks or a month, rain, wind and decay have erased its presence. That is why you don't spray on a day it is going to rain, and you go early in the morning when the wind is down. Chemical is expensive, you want it to stay where you put it.
Sheila

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it does rain, kwlafayette. Where do you think these pesticides go? Do they just disappear? They eventually make their way into the rivers and bodies of water all around us. And into our tap water. I don't feel that confident that our water is good, because they tell people not to eat the fish out of the river. But they turn around and tell you to come and swim in it. What is up with that?
"decay have erased its presence" is a common myth perpetuated by Monsanto "evil"
Bleatmop

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:
He says there is no difference between free range and feedlot cattle? Obviously the man has never made it out of the city and knows nothing about cattle. A few years ago a friend had sprayed their hay crop with pesticides to reduce the risk of grasshoppers. When she asked a well known government official what to do with the hay, now that it was toast, the government official told her to let her cattle graze on it. Unbelievable. But that's ok, that's what YOU are eating.
I don't really care if organic saves the environment. I only care that it is saving my family. You can chose to eat whatever you like.
I love my organic coffee. "Nature" magazine is like the CBC, you never know if it's the truth.

You know Sheila, it seems to me that you lead a full and rich life. Not only have you and your family had a myriad of experiences, you also have a network of friends that seem to have experienced everything your family has not.

As for your comments, I don't see where the author says that there "is no difference between free range and feedlot cattle", but I do encourage you to take it up with the author. You may already know him, but his name is James Delingpole. The British one that writes books, not the one from Saskatoon.
Mike McB

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:

If you believe our food is safe, why do you buy your beef and chicken off of your cousin? Wouldn't it be more convenient for you to get that at the grocery store? It's not like what you buy off of him, is going to make or break him? Is it because you don't believe the meat you buy at the grocery store is good for you?

Well.. Three main reasons:

A. I believe in family and I would rather support them ..then someone else
B. My price is based on packaged rather then hung (seems to get more bang for the buck this way)
C. Most importantly - I know what he feeds them. There is no steroids - He does not spray his hay.. And what comes out of the cow goes back into the ground for fertilizer

you should see the size of the chickens 10 lbs plus (grain fed)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: