Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds


CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect



Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
FF_Canuck





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 3360
Reputation: 73.4
votes: 17
Location: Southern Alberta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
By the way, for those who believe the government would be satisfied with a handgun ban, ask yourself why they decided they needed a long-arm registry?


Indeed. Historically speaking, registration and restriction has always led to bans and confiscation. The only case I'm aware of where this did not happen was in New Zealand, where registration was repealed when it was found (suprise, suprise) to be ineffective and costly.
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Indeed. Historically speaking, registration and restriction has always led to bans and confiscation. The only case I'm aware of where this did not happen was in New Zealand, where registration was repealed when it was found (suprise, suprise) to be ineffective and costly.

If memory serves, New Zealand was almost bankrupt at the time. No doubt that helped to find the political will to back away from the registration.

-Mac
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donmuntean wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:
I feel that a lot of Americans simply do not understand their own constitution. The founding fathers were not big on hunting and target shooting; the founding fathers saw that power inevitably turns a government towards tyranny. The right to bear arms is also a responsibility to be the final and ultimate defender of the US constitution, for US citizens. It is a responsibility to rebel, and restore liberty should the need arise.

Unfortunately, we had no such visionaries when our constitution was drafted.


I think in the least hand guns should be banned - there are too many idiots. Also I feel uncomfortable with "The right to bear arms is also a responsibility to be the final and ultimate defender of the US constitution, for US citizens. It is a responsibility to rebel, and restore liberty should the need arise." - That sounds like you're advocating the use of guns to fight that state that may one day encroach too far on our rights? What are you saying?
That is exactly what I am saying.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.
The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is
wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts
they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions,
it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ...
And what country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not
warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of
resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as
to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost
in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure." Thomas Jefferson, founding father.

Mac, it is a common misconception that it was unfair taxation that caused the US to rebel. In fact, the colonies enjoyed a lower rate of taxation, and free access to British ports all over the world. I personally think they just didn't like the idea of a king, and it didn't matter if they were any better or worse off.

PS. Don, if there are too many idiots out there, and you don't trust idiots with guns, then why would you trust the police or the government? The ranks of authority are drawn from the same pool of idiots that you fear.


Last edited by kwlafayette on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Mac, it is a common misconception that it was unfair taxation that caused the US to rebel. In fact, the colonies enjoyed a lower rate of taxation, and free access to British ports all over the world. I personally think they just didn't like the idea of a king, and it didn't matter if they were any better or worse off.

I thought one of the issues was taxation without representation... but I've never been a student of American history.

-Mac
FF_Canuck





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 3360
Reputation: 73.4
votes: 17
Location: Southern Alberta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:
Mac, it is a common misconception that it was unfair taxation that caused the US to rebel. In fact, the colonies enjoyed a lower rate of taxation, and free access to British ports all over the world. I personally think they just didn't like the idea of a king, and it didn't matter if they were any better or worse off.

I thought one of the issues was taxation without representation... but I've never been a student of American history.

-Mac


It's really the same issue, isn't it? They were paying taxes with no say in its spending, and told where to go when they complained, because they were ruled by an uncaring monarch...

As I recall (and perhaps I'm incorrect), some of the founding fathers were disgruntled monarchists, and there was some initial discussion on either having an American King, or keeping ties to the English monarchs, but the republican system ultimately prevailed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2  


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Armed body guards for people who advocate handgun bans.

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB