Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Meet the families where no one's worked for 3 generations Reply with quote

Quote:
Known as the "Shameless" family among horrified neighbours, the McFaddens "boast" three generations of adults who are not working.

All ten members of the clan share a council house and live off benefits amounting to around 32,000 a year. And very happy they are, too.

But the really disturbing aspect of the McFaddens' lifestyle is that they are far from alone. Six million Britons are living in homes where no one has a job and "benefits are a way of life", according to a report by MPs. Shock figures also revealed that 20,000 households in Britain are pocketing more than 30,000 a year in state benefits.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pag.....ge_id=1770
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

as the Canadian dollar is only currently trading at .49 to the pound sterling thats a lot of welfare. I guess they are a happy bunch of folks, thats over $65,000. That will buy a lot of fish and chips.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen many homes like that here in Canada. In fact, I'd be willing to bet we've got just as many, possibly more, households like it than Britain's 20,000.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
I've seen many homes like that here in Canada. In fact, I'd be willing to bet we've got just as many, possibly more, households like it than Britain's 20,000.

I've seen a good few of them too. Occupational hazard for both of us?

One of my sisters married into a family where welfare or disability benefits was the usual means of putting the bread on the table. She thought she could change him. Wrong. The sad part was he wasn't afraid of working and, in the short term, he was a hard worker but he just wasn't dependable so he kept going through jobs.

Substance abuse was part of his problem but the bigger part was the attitude which he learned at hom. His mother lived on welfare, never had a job and raised seven kids (several different dads) in a ramshackle house in the country. When she turned 60 and applied for CPP, she ranted about how she couldn't wait to get her first CPP cheque so she could go tell those "bastards at welfare where to shove their cheques!" It was so touching to see how much she appreciated our tax dollars.

One of the canards of the leftists is how our social safety net is proof of our compassion as a society. Bollocks!! There is nothing compassionate about forcing hard-working Canadians to pay for others who refuse to contribute to our society to sit at home drinking tea while raising their kids to be equally useless.

-Mac
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine told me a story of living in an apartment complex and when he get home from work around 5:30 the welfare people would greet him with derision as they sat in their lawnchairs drinking beer. It was almost like running the gauntlet he said. And they call Mike Harris heartless.

I wonder what happened to those people when Harris dropped welfare payments by 33%.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I think that after 5 years on welfare, benefits should drop 10% a year and after 10 years they be cut off.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
This is why I think that after 5 years on welfare, benefits should drop 10% a year and after 10 years they be cut off.

An alternative would be that after a reasonable amount of time (which is debatable), put them on "workfare" (if they are physically fit enough to work - if they are disabled that is a different story). That would give them motivation to find a job, and even if they don't find another job at least they would be providing some sort of service to the community.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Cool Blue wrote:

An alternative would be that after a reasonable amount of time (which is debatable), put them on "workfare" (if they are physically fit enough to work - if they are disabled that is a different story). That would give them motivation to find a job, and even if they don't find another job at least they would be providing some sort of service to the community.

5 years would be way too long to wait before work-fare. In today's job market, 6 months would be more than enough. You'd also want to keep it provincially funded, otherwise it becomes yet another way of subsidizing poor government performance. Definately agreed that the current EI system needs to be massively reformed.
FascistLibertarian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welfare isnt as easy to get on as everyone assumes.
People on werlfare should get drug tested, have suprise inspections, show they are actively looking for work, and be audited.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
An alternative would be that after a reasonable amount of time (which is debatable), put them on "workfare" (if they are physically fit enough to work - if they are disabled that is a different story).

Workfare is supposed to be mandatory from day 1 in Ontario already.

Most people have learned how the system works so they get out of it and sympathetic social counselors help them.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Welfare isnt as easy to get on as everyone assumes.

It is pretty easy actually. I recall one time I asked to speak to a social counselor, not because I wanted welfare but because I wanted to know if there were any government programs that could help me find a job or get training.

The counselor couldn't get it through her head that I didn't want welfare. She actually started advising me on how to order my life and financial matters so I'd qualify for the maximum benefits available!

Quote:
People on werlfare should get drug tested, have suprise inspections, show they are actively looking for work, and be audited.

I'm not sure if McGuinty canceled these, but all of these were required in the past in Ontario.

I know that they still have to show that they are looking for work by handing in a sheet listing all the places that they applied. The sheet has to be signed by the owner of the business where you apply.

There are tricks to get around this though. For example I knew one guy who would pass our resumes while wearing make-up and a dress (who's gonna hire him?) and it is very common for the resumes that these people pass out to either contain incorrect contact information (wrong phone number etc.) or to contain none at all.

Therefore, technically the welfares can say they applied for the job, however, they did it in such a way as to guarantee that they won't get hired.
FascistLibertarian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case they should review the places where the person applied for a job and people who are doing what you say should be booted.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Workfare is supposed to be mandatory from day 1 in Ontario already.

I think it would be more reasonable to allow for a grace period - whatever is a reasonable amount of time to find a job. It's probably a lot harder to find a job when you are working.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC wrote
Quote:
if they are disabled that is a different story

If people are disabled they should be on disability. If they are on welfare it should be only while waiting for disability.

Hope I quoted you correct :P
gc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Hope I quoted you correct :P

:lol:

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: