Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Question for Christians about Paul Reply with quote

Something I dont understand about Christianity.
Why do you Christians read the Pauline epistles?

I mean sure we may not know if all 14 were written by him or 7 or whatever, but I dont understand why Christians dont discount these as he never met Jesus and only claimed to have had Jesus appear to him (backed by his word and nothing more).
The whole thing seems rather odd to me. Are there any versions of Christianity that care about what Jesus said (ie base their faith on people who knew and had met Jesus) rather than what Paul claims?
Does it bug you that so much of the Bible is written by someone who never met Christ in real life?

I mean from what I have read Jesus seemed like a decent guy, but Paul (specifically in Corinthians) seems kinda like a jerk who is pushing his own personal view while pretending its the will of Jesus.

This isnt sarcastic, Im honestly wondering about this, because the only response I have gotten from my Christian friends when I ask them about this is "Jesus appeared to Paul and God helped Paul write everything", which doesnt really do it for me.
Mike McB

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help link or this wikipedia link
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Something I dont understand about Christianity. Why do you Christians read the Pauline epistles.

Paul was recognized by the Christians of his time as a leader of the Christian church and many miracles were performed in his ministry. If he was good enough for Peter and James(Jesus' bro) he's good enough for me.

If Henry Morgentaler suddenly came out saying that abortion was wrong and spent the last 40 years of his life on the pro-life side, you would have something similar to the conversion Paul underwent.
There is nothing in his epistles that are not in concordance with the rest of the New testament. So I ask you why should Christians not read them.

That Paul does not appear to be a good guy is no reason to discount the authority placed on him by the other Christians that Jesus personally taught.

I think a guy like Paul was neccesary. Jesus wanted to perplex the Jews who all knew Paul as one of the leaders of the destruction of this new religion. For him to become the foremost prothelizer of said religion must have seemed very strange to the Jewish leaders.

Jump to: