Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of abortion law would you support?
A law that bans all abortions (which will never pass the Supreme Court)
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
A compromise law that would outlaw all abortions past the first trimester
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
A law like Britans (abortions within 22 weeks)
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
Status Quo. More abortions good. Less abortions bad
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Abortion only if needed to save the mother's life
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Abortion only for victims of sexual assault or incest
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 32

paisley_cross

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The protagonists in this debate are dug in more firmly than the armies on the Western Front in 1916.

Although the vast majority of Canadians would go along with a compromise (say, abortions only permitted only up to a number of weeks of pregnancy) those who make the most racket on this won't budge an inch - it's either no restrictions at all or no abortions at all. Middle of the road politicians know this and figure the best course is to stay away from the issue entirely.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paisley_cross, well said. I think that sums up the issue rather nicely.
John Larocque

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the saddest things I think I have ever seen was when Campaign Life Coalition and their friends were on the same side of the trenches as the pro-choicers, back when Mulroney and Campbell wanted to pass an amended version of the existing abortion law in the early 1990s. Well, they got their wish, and the legislation didn't pass. And since then, nobody has touched the issue.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paisley_cross wrote:
Middle of the road politicians know this and figure the best course is to stay away from the issue entirely.

I would change that to "wise politicians". Anyway you bring this up you lose. Some back bencher starts saying "when we get a majority we will pass an abortion law", and the next day Harper will be measuring the drapes at Stornaway.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - twelve pages of an abortion topic and I didn't manage to get in a single post?!?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - this is an old one - yes I did. What's with the really old posts being revived lately :)
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Larocque wrote:
One of the saddest things I think I have ever seen was when Campaign Life Coalition and their friends were on the same side of the trenches as the pro-choicers, back when Mulroney and Campbell wanted to pass an amended version of the existing abortion law in the early 1990s. Well, they got their wish, and the legislation didn't pass. And since then, nobody has touched the issue.

The more astute anti-abortion people realize that their goals can only be realized by incrementalism. Mulroney offered that; but instead of all hands to the pump they circled the wagons and started shooting inward since they couldn't agree on whether to support the bill.

If they unanimously had supported the bill it would have passed the Senate.

I once raised this at FD and I got a lot of replies about how bad the bill was. My response: "At least you would have had something; now you have nothing".
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can i morally come to a compromise about abortion, when i think that, it's just plain wrong(to put it lightly).
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:
how can i morally come to a compromise about abortion, when i think that, it's just plain wrong(to put it lightly).

You mean it's all or nothing? You are prepared to wait until Parliament is ready to ban abortion in its entirety rather than go for it in steps?

You will be waiting a long time.
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not say I agree with any type of abortion for any reason. Though I would still be glad if their are steps toward no abortion (some is i guess better than nothing). Though if i agree, to oh lets say only aborting before 22 weeks or something then i could not sleep at night (aborting a living thing is k_ll__g a liveing thing). i dont see how babys in their mother's should not have just as much rights as anyone who is out of their mothers. I will stick up for every b aby to no end, after all they have not done anything wrong.
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:
I will not say I agree with any type of abortion for any reason. Though I would still be glad if their are steps toward no abortion (some is i guess better than nothing). Though if i agree, to oh lets say only aborting before 22 weeks or something then i could not sleep at night (aborting a living thing is k_ll__g a liveing thing). i dont see how babys in their mother's should not have just as much rights as anyone who is out of their mothers. I will stick up for every b aby to no end, after all they have not done anything wrong.

But surely from your perspective a law that only permitted abortions up to 22 weeks is better than now with no restrictions at all?
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree it saves more lives but from my perspective it's like asking me to agree to only kill 3 people insted of 10 (i wont agree to killing any babys). I'm glad if their are less abortions but i myself can't agree to any law that allows any abortions. This may seem like i am being convoluted but abortion is not an easy subjet to debate.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  

Jump to: