Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of abortion law would you support?
A law that bans all abortions (which will never pass the Supreme Court)
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
A compromise law that would outlaw all abortions past the first trimester
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
A law like Britans (abortions within 22 weeks)
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
Status Quo. More abortions good. Less abortions bad
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Abortion only if needed to save the mother's life
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Abortion only for victims of sexual assault or incest
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 32

donmuntean

Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:
mrsocko wrote:
I should have put the "only if needed to save the mothers life" option up.

To save the mother's life - is that only physically saving the mother's life or does that include mentally saving the mother's life?

No.
lorettaw

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better poll would be ' what law supporting human life would you support'. First, let's include an unborn human as a person under the law. (Remember in the 1920's when women became persons?)

Then the laws about when it is acceptable to kill a person will continue to be proposed. Its not exactly uncommon for new laws to be made, refining what protection means and what the exceptions are. The CMA is attempting to get a precedent set RIGHT NOW that would allow them EXCLUSIVE rights to decide who should be refused further medical aid.

Any law that limits abortions is a step in the right direction.But don't fool yourself. It won't be over until all human beings are protected equally under the law.

Sheila,
Ever looked in a phonebook? Two cities I've been in recently definitely have Mortgentaler CLinics - Fredricton and Halifax. Halifax also performs abortions in their nice big hospital QEll (no longer called the Grace, for obvious reasons) just a few floors apart from delivering babies. (some) same doctors and equipment.
Every province has access to abortions in their hospitals, paid for by (us) except PEI. Not all provinces pay for Mortgentaler (clinic) abortions, but some do. He's continuously harassing those who don't in court.
Canadian Hero Extraordinaire. Killed more Canadians than .... anybody or anything! Hurrah! Who needs them!
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donmuntean wrote:
The last two choices in the poll should be one choice...

I agree but I added them separately only because mrsocko requested addition of one not the other... and there are likely some here who might agree with the first one but disagree strongly with the second one.

-Mac
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I personally would like no abortions, but we live in a democracy so I am willing to compromise. A law like Britans that allows abortions until the baby is viable out side the mothers womb(which was just lowered to 22 weeks last week) is something I would be willing to accept in order to save some lives. A law that allowed abortions only during the 1st trimester would be my dream.

That's pretty much how I feel too.

On the location of abortion clinics:

Most of them don't advertise on the street where they're located.

For example, in downtown Ottawa there is one a block away from Parliament Hill between Slater St. and Sparks St., located right beside the McDonalds.

You'd never know there there was an abortion clinic there if it wasn't for the protesters who walk up and down the street.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any woman who has an abortion should have her tubes tied to ensure that she can never again commit murder on innocent unborn children.
lorettaw

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.morgentaler.ca/contactUs.asp 2 minutes on google found me eight clinics across the country. if I wanted to 'see' one I would make an appointment, or call a Campaign Life office.

don't use democracy as an excuse for a relative morality. If a law gets passed that allows abortions, that is a step backwards. There currently is no law specifically allowing it. There is no law.

democracy should be a system for reasoning men - as in men who reason.

relativism is the refusal to reason.

I despair of the future of Canada, if this is the best we can do.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
don't use democracy as an excuse for a relative morality. If a law gets passed that allows abortions, that is a step backwards. There currently is no law specifically allowing it. There is no law.

democracy should be a system for reasoning men - as in men who reason.

relativism is the refusal to reason.

I despair of the future of Canada, if this is the best we can do.

The morality of the people who oppose abortion is not in question. The morality of those who will not compromise in order to save some of the babies is. You seem to approve of the fact that there is no law in Canada.

The fact that millions have died needlessly because religious people will not work with the more reasonable elements of the abortion faction is immoral.

These people probably would have said during the holocaust:
Saving all the Jews is the only option . They then would have sat piously by while millions died.
SaintNobody

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support fetal equality. Abortion is just a symptom of not recognizing the equality of all human beings. The Supreme Court never said it would not recognize the equality of unborn children. It has said there's a vacuum and it can't legislate for the government.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would support an abortion only if the motherís life is in immediate danger, even if that is extremely rare with modern medicine.
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would support a bill that would restrict abortions.

1. Rape victims
2. Teenage pregnancy
3. Severe health problems of the developing fetus
4. Severe complications that could harm the mother

Married couples or adult partners (dating or commonlaw) should just deal with it like adults...

Call it hypocritical if you will but that's my stance on the matter...
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
The morality of those who will not compromise in order to save some of the babies is. You seem to approve of the fact that there is no law in Canada.

I don't think you should draw into question the morality of people not willing to let some babies die in order to save others - on the contrary, any "compromise" simply shows that some people are willing to sacrifice the lives of some babies for the sake of others - I can think of nothing more immoral than that.
Sheila

votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully none of you are Doctors, so you will never have to decide because of your morals, what is right for the mother and unborn child. If you really want to do something for these women, I would challenge any one of you to go to the nearest abortion clinic and tell one of those poor women that you will take them in and help them raise that child. It's pretty easy to sit behind your computer and rail against abortion. Now get out there and do something about it.
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 or 23 weeks.
before that it cant live without the mother and therefore is her property and not the states.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:
If you really want to do something for these women

I don't want to do something for these women. I want to do something for their unborn children.

Quote:
I would challenge any one of you to go to the nearest abortion clinic and tell one of those poor women that you will take them in and help them raise that child.

That is what adoption agencies are for. There is no excuse despite your attempts to find one.

Quote:
It's pretty easy to sit behind your computer and rail against abortion. Now get out there and do something about it.

And it's just as easy for you to do the opposite :roll:

Hey Sheila - why don't you go down to an abortion clinic and take a look at the babies in the garbage (all those wonderful "choices").
SaintNobody

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:
Thankfully none of you are Doctors, so you will never have to decide because of your morals, what is right for the mother and unborn child. If you really want to do something for these women, I would challenge any one of you to go to the nearest abortion clinic and tell one of those poor women that you will take them in and help them raise that child. It's pretty easy to sit behind your computer and rail against abortion. Now get out there and do something about it.

Killing the unborn child is right for it?

I'm doing something about it. I'm persuading the greater public that abortion is immoral and that our legal system should recognize the unborn child.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next  

Jump to: