Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KPK

votes: 13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tankless Water Heaters Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

Any gas appliance has to be vented - so do traditional hot water heaters. Electric versions of both tankless and tanked water heaters don't need to be.

Hmmm sounds to good to be true. I guess the only disadvantage is if you use a tankless water heater and the power goes off, you lose your hot water immediately whereas a water tank will keep the water hot for some time. However, if your inlaws are visiting you never lose your hot water supply in the shower.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess the only disadvantage is if you use a tankless water heater and the power goes off, you lose your hot water immediately

If it is a natural gas model it doesn't need electricity to operate.
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Quote:
I guess the only disadvantage is if you use a tankless water heater and the power goes off, you lose your hot water immediately

Really? That would be great.

They must have changed the technology a bit then. During the ice storm I assumed hot water would not be an issue because it was gas. It was explained to me that it didn't work because the trigger to turn the gas on to heat the new water was electric. No trigger from the sensor no hot water.
KPK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Quote:

Ya I also heard there are parts that still need electricity to function.
KPK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:
Cool Blue wrote:
Quote:

Really? That would be great.

They must have changed the technology a bit then. During the ice storm I assumed hot water would not be an issue because it was gas. It was explained to me that it didn't work because the trigger to turn the gas on to heat the new water was electric. No trigger from the sensor no hot water.

I heard you can buy a battery backup for some models. The more I read about these heaters the more questions I have.For example in our house it's not uncommon for someone to shower while someone else is doing laundry or turning on the dishwasher. My understanding is most models may not be able to heat all of the water used - especially if a third person is washing their hands in the bathroom. With a water heater tank you can handle the load. It just means you use up the hot water in the tank faster.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a tank, the important number is first hour delivery. Tankless it is temp rise and rate of flow. Tankless is all right, you just have to know what you are buying and have realistic expectations.

There are some models that require gas only, no electricity at all to operate. The flow of water is used to light the gas is some automagical way.

http://www.boschhotwater.com/B.....fault.aspx

This one needs only water and gas.

Electronic ignition, power venting, these are features that require electricity. Old tanks with the thermocouple do not need electricity either, the heat from the pilot is used by the thermocouple to generate a current that keeps the valve open. The pilot is inefficient, but dependable. Again, all you need is gas and water.

There is no silver bullet that will solve all your hot water problems.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another idea that could work very well with tankless, a waste heat recovery system.

http://www.watercycles.ca/
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Here is another idea that could work very well with tankless, a waste heat recovery system.

http://www.watercycles.ca/

Great idea. My father does something similar with his wood furnace during the winter, pre-heating water before the hot water tank.

-Mac

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: