Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

how long have people been around?
100,000 years
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
10,000 years
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
whatever the bible says
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: How long have humans been around? Reply with quote

simple ?

I think we have only had civilization for 10k years.
Humans have always had culture, but before 10k years ago we had 90k years when we didnt farm and have organized religion.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scientists say that he earth is 4.5 billion years old and that homo sapiens have been around 200,000 years.

As a Christian I believe science and scripture can be reconciled. see the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap_creationism

Seems strange that we have been around that long but civilization is fairly young. It would almost seem that something happened to start civilization or possibly restart it after a cataclysm. Who knows maybe there was a worldwide flood that wiped all traces of civilization off the face of the earth and man had to start anew, say 10,000 years ago.

I read that some scientists believe the flood happened when part of the Antartic ice shelf slipped off the continent causing a tidal wave that went around the world. That would account for every ancient society having a flood story. These same scientists say that with global warming that threat is very high today. Glad global warming is bullsh-t.

Scientists have always wondered why farming first took place on the side of mountains. If there was a flood I suppose the sides of mountains would be the first places to dry.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100,000 years is the highest on the list but I believe 950,000 years is more correct unless your refering only to Homo Sapiens.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is hard to say. I agree that science and the bible are not exclusive of each other. I also believe that the big bang theory could very well of happened, but I believe that God was behind it. I am willing to hear all sides of this debate, because non of us could truly know.
crazymamma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares?

I've been here for just about forty, figure I got some fifty left.

10 000 / 100 000 Before and after? I like to worry about the relative idea of 100 years around now.

I fail to understand just why oh why we need to phrase these questions around a biblical theme. What is the purpose? Is this the Christian V the non-Christan forum?

Are we now just defining ourselves solely by our faith or our sexual identity?

Are we just in a rut?

Give it a shake please, I am more then just my Christian teachings, beliefs, just as I'm sure you are more then your bedroom activities. I can understand that it makes life easier to see someone as one dimension, but we are all complex beings who bring a varied living experience and thought process.

Could we just get off it already? I'm beginning to think that this consistent type of topic is narrowing the appeal and discouraging to other folks from joining. But hey thats just how I feel. I could be very very very very very wrong.

Oh and I admit I may be way off base too. :D
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably at least 100,000 years.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazymamma,

That's more or less my feelings in a nutshell. I couldn't care less about the creationism debate, because ultimately the answer changes nothing about the way the world is now and what we can do with our lives. I agree it matters on a purely personal, either spiritual or philisophical level to many, but it has no practical implications.
Sheila

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it has a lot to do with it, because Christians believe there was nothing before the bible. Before the bible there was Hamorabi's (spelling?) Law. The oldest civilization found to date, has been dated back to about 250,000 years ago. Last summer in a local village the "Creation Museum" was opened. They have done a real poor job of trying to connect the dots. Have you ever been to Drumheller? Fossils galore. There is absolutely NOTHING in the bible about dinosaurs. But we keep on finding fossils. No organized religion before the bible? Come on, you have go back farther to get to the truth.
crazymamma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila says:

Quote:
Have you ever been to Drumheller? Fossils galore. There is absolutely NOTHING in the bible about dinosaurs. But we keep on finding fossils.

Well Sheila you would be WRONG again. The Bible very clearly mentions dragons from time to time........ It wouldn't be a huge streeeeeeeetch if you believed in Creationism to read dragon as Dinosaur, seeing as the word "Dinosaur" is a recent invention.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been around for as long as people can remember. :P
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
They've been around for as long as people can remember. :P

Heh... :lol:

-Mac
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is absolutely NOTHING in the bible about dinosaurs.

The desciption of the Behemoth in the Bible(Job) is clearly a Brachiosaurus.
Sheila

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:
Well Sheila you would be WRONG again. The Bible very clearly mentions dragons from time to time........ It wouldn't be a huge streeeeeeeetch if you believed in Creationism to read dragon as Dinosaur, seeing as the word "Dinosaur" is a recent invention.

Hi Crazymamma, could you please tell me the chapter and verse?
Sheila

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:

That's funny because the Merriam-Webster Dictionary says that the Behemoth mentioned in Job 40:15-24 is probably the hippopotamus. What made you come to that conclusion?
crazymamma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:
mrsocko wrote:

That's funny because the Merriam-Webster Dictionary says that the Behemoth mentioned in Job 40:15-24 is probably the hippopotamus. What made you come to that conclusion?

Right...... because websters dictionary would be where I go for authorty on any passage found in the bible. :roll:

Behemoth, he eats grass, his bones are like beams, his ribs like bars of iron, he has power and strength in his hips and stomach muscles. His tail like a cedar is one characteristic that has bothered many since some have proposed the hippopotamus which has a small elephant type tail. Long and tapered is like a cedar.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: