Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

how long have people been around?
100,000 years
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
10,000 years
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
whatever the bible says
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

donmuntean

Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7Reputation: 9.7
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more pressing question ought to be how long shall humans continue to be around :roll:
theatheistjew

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:
Who cares?

I've been here for just about forty, figure I got some fifty left.

And the reason you can expect to live to 80 or 90 today is because of scientific progress.
Science and medicine has progressed because they use the theories of evolution and the fact the earth is ancient in order to try to cure diseases.

I'm glad someone cares.
truth4freedom

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"For as much as our Christian epoch falls many ages after the beginning of the world, and the number of years before that backward is not only more troublesome, but (unless greater care be taken) more lyable to errour; also it hath pleased our modern chronologers, to adde to that generally received hypothesis (which asserted the Julian years, with their three cycles by a certain mathematical prolepsis, to have run down to the very beginning of the world) an artificial epoch, framed out of three cycles multiplied in themselves; for the Solar Cicle being multiplied by the Lunar, or the number of 28 by 19, produces the great Paschal Cycle of 532 years, and that again multiplied by fifteen, the number of the indiction, there arises the period of 7980 years, which was first (if I mistake not) observed by Robert Lotharing, Bishop of Hereford, in our island of Britain, and 500 years after by Joseph Scaliger fitted for chronological uses, and called by the name of the Julian Period, because it conteined a cycle of so many Julian years. Now if the series of the three minor cicles be from this present year extended backward unto precedent times, the 4713 years before the beginning of our Christian account will be found to be that year into which the first year of the indiction, the first of the Lunar Cicle, and the first of the Solar will fall. Having placed there fore the heads of this period in the kalends of January in that proleptick year, the first of our Christian vulgar account must be reckoned the 4714 of the Julian Period, which, being divided by 15. 19. 28. will present us with the 4 Roman indiction, the 2 Lunar Cycle, and the 10 Solar, which are the principal characters of that year.

We find moreover that the year of our fore-fathers, and the years of the ancient Egyptians and Hebrews were of the same quantity with the Julian, consisting of twelve equal moneths, every of them conteining 30 days, (for it cannot be proved that the Hebrews did use lunary moneths before the Babylonian Captivity) adjoying to the end of the twelfth moneth, the addition of five dayes, and every four year six. And I have observed by the continued succession of these years, as they are delivered in holy writ, that the end of the great Nebuchadnezars and the beginning of Evilmerodachs (his sons) reign, fell out in the 3442 year of the world, but by collation of Chaldean history and the astronomical cannon, it fell out in the 186 year c Nabonasar, and, as by certain connexion, it must follow in the 562 year before the Christian account, and of the Julian Period, the 4152. and from thence I gathered the creation of the world did fall out upon the 710 year of the Julian Period, by placing its beginning in autumn: but for as much as the first day of the world began with the evening of the first day of the week, I have observed that the Sunday, which in the year 710 aforesaid came nearest the Autumnal AEquinox, by astronomical tables (notwithstanding the stay of the sun in the dayes of Joshua, and the going back of it in the dayes c Ezekiah) happened upon the 23 day of the Julian October; from thence concluded that from the evening preceding that first day of the Julian year, both the first day of the creation and the first motion of time are to be deduced."

- J. Ussher, The Annals of the World iv (1658)

The world was created by God on Saturday, October 9, 4004 BC. Those who are not Christian fundamentalists such as myself may find that the dates and manner in which the earth was created are irrelevant. To myself, however, altering these events is akin to discrediting the entire Bible and the gospel, which cannot be done by any individual.
Sheila

votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I went to the Atco Tyrrel Museum in Drumheller and my husband ran into Peter Van Loan there. ( I am so jealous I didn't get to meet him, cause I really wanted to try what FFCanuck is doing.) So if you are saying that the earth was created 6,000 years ago, where did the dinosaurs come from? It is just too impossible to believe that the dinosaurs are only 6,000 years old. I mean they are found under layers and layers of earth.
MrSocko, recently I had the priviledge of seeing a hippopotamus's ass. The cedar is a cone bearing tree, they pretty much all look like a Christmas tree. Well the hippopotumus's tail looked like an upside down Christmas tree.
truth4freedom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:
So if you are saying that the earth was created 6,000 years ago, where did the dinosaurs come from? It is just too impossible to believe that the dinosaurs are only 6,000 years old. I mean they are found under layers and layers of earth.

God created them along with all of the other animals, planets, stars, etc. Since He created such a vast universe in one day why would it stretch the imagination to concieve of Him creating dinosaurs in one day? What is far more impossible to believe is that we are some cosmic accident that has no purpose other than to survive at the expense of weaker species and then die. That is not only scientifically and mathmatically impossible, it is pure idiocy.

Most dinosaurs were buried in layers of sediment resulting from the global flood. Of the remaining dinosaurs many would have died during the ice age that followed the global flood. Actually, many dinosaur fossils can be found in rivers and even the fossils discovered inland are not buried that deep at times.
Sheila

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TruthforFreedom, look at some of these dinosaurs and check out how long ago they lived here.
http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/peek/
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating
Sheila

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are you saying Craig, that dinosaurs are 6,000 years old?
truth4freedom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:
Hi TruthforFreedom, look at some of these dinosaurs and check out how long ago they lived here.
http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/peek/

According to what dating method?
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truth4freedom wrote:
What is far more impossible to believe is that we are some cosmic accident that has no purpose other than to survive at the expense of weaker species and then die. That is not only scientifically and mathmatically impossible, it is pure idiocy.

I find it much more plausible that relatively unintelligent beings such as ourselves could slowly evolve over billions of years than to think that a super intelligent being capable of making all of the life on earth, plus all of the stars and planets (i.e. God) could be created from nothing. In other words, if we come from God then where did God come from? (and I can show you why if God does exist, he must have been created - he could not have existed "forever").
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I find it much more plausible that relatively unintelligent beings such as ourselves could slowly evolve over billions of years than to think that a super intelligent being capable of making all of the life on earth, plus all of the stars and planets (i.e. God) could be created from nothing.

The scriptures in their original languge say that all came from God and all will return to God.

We came from God or out of God. That doesn't mean we are God anymore than a pile of my hair and fingernails are me. God created the universe out of himself.

Quote:
For from him an through him and too him come all things.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
We came from God or out of God.

The question is where did God come from?
I find it much more plausible that humans could come from "nothing" than God could come from "nothing".
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:
So what are you saying Craig, that dinosaurs are 6,000 years old?

No - I'm saying that radiocarbon dating can date back to 60,000 thousand years so the notion that the earth has only been around for 6,000 years is absurd.

How could you possibly interpret my post like that? Do you think before you post?
don muntean

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
mrsocko wrote:
We came from God or out of God.

The question is where did God come from?
I find it much more plausible that humans could come from "nothing" than God could come from "nothing".

God didn't come from anywhere - He has always existed and had no beginning. In one sense we are an emanation of Him. Each individual soul - they too have existed 'forever' - we were once in the 'other' realm and now we're bound to this matter.

Of course time is relative to space and matter. To say tangibly that time exists is an misperception - an illusion.

We 'experience' time in three phases - past present and future - yet - what are these really?

We see that something comes to be - begins to wither and then - disappears - we see time as the cause of transformation and change - when it's not. This change and transformation in our material environment together with the seeming movement from day to night - the creation of the calender and the watch - all this is plays to this concept of time.

It goes like this: What time is it? Time is of the essence. Time to go. Time is up. If I only had more time. I hope I'm in time. Yesterday today tomorrow next week next year etc., etc., - so while we have to live within the norms of a world bound to this concept of time - we have also to see that time certainly is relative...

We can see the incredible subtly of this concept like this - on earth at any given 'time' it's day on one side and night on the other - yet - we are all in the same 'moment' - this is true of the entire universe and even the so-called three phases of time itself. There is only one 'forever' moment and what we see as time is material.

To ask how long ago something in this creation existed and how long this creation itself - has been around - is also bound to fallacies through our limited perceptions. At the end of the day does it matter if it's 6000 years or 600 trillion years?

In the realms of science and religion far too much energy is expended on searching out the starting point - when energy ought to be put to making a solution to other problems.

God is beyond the concept of time space and matter and even - spirit and one day you shall be as well. :arrow: Now it's "time" for bed! :wink:
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of a comment made during the "Intelligent Design" debate: "It's so stupid even Catholics don't agree with it".

Perhaps that's because Catholics are smart enough to understand that the Genesis story is an allegory.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: