Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Democratic strategist claims CPC helped GOP (LOL) Reply with quote

All I can say is HA HA HA :P

http://www.canada.com/globaltv.....9c1566b210

NAFTA rhetoric drags Canada into U.S. primaries
Sheldon Alberts, Canwest News Washington Correspondent
Published: Monday, March 03, 2008
DALLAS — The Canadian government today was enveloped in a heated dispute with Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama over the North American Free Trade Agreement, a controversy Hillary Clinton sought to exploit on the eve of key primaries in Texas and Ohio.

Speaking to reporters this morning, Clinton demanded Obama answer nagging questions about comments Canada claims were made to diplomats that cast doubt about his opposition to NAFTA.

In an internal Canadian memo leaked to the Associated Press, a diplomat described a February meeting between Austan Goulsbee, Obama’s economic adviser, and George Rioux, Ottawa’s consul general in Chicago.

The memo said Goulsbee told Rioux that Obama’s campaign remarks about NAFTA “should be viewed as more about political positioning than a clear articulation of policy plans.”

Goulsbee also said campaign rhetoric “that may be perceived to be protectionist is more reflective of political manoeuvring than policy,” according to the Canadian memo.

Bill Burton, a senior spokesman for Obama, has repeatedly denied the campaign has sent Canada conflicting signals on the candidate’s views on trade.

“There was no one at any level of our campaign, at any point, anywhere, who said or otherwise implied Obama was backing away from his consistent position on trade,” Burton said last week.

But Clinton said the Canadian memo is more evidence that Obama is saying one thing in public while telling foreign governments something different in private.

“I think that after days of denial, the Obama campaign was confronted with a memo of a meeting — it was my understanding — in which there was a discussion of NAFTA. And it raises questions about Senator Obama coming to Ohio and giving speeches about NAFTA and having his chief economic adviser tell the Canadian government that it was just political rhetoric,” Clinton said.

“I don’t think people should come to Ohio and tell the people of Ohio one thing and then have your campaign tell a foreign government something else behind closed doors. That’s the kind of difference between talk and action and that I’ve been pointing out in this campaign. I think the questions should be directed at Senator Obama.”

NAFTA has been at the heart of the Democratic campaign in economically challenged Ohio, where residents blame the trade deal for the loss of thousands of manufacturing jobs.

Burton issued a rebuttal statement late this morning.

“Senator Clinton knows full well that she’s not telling the truth on this story, and that her blatant distortion is just part of her campaign’s stated strategy to throw the kitchen sink at Senator Obama in the closing days of this campaign,” Burton said. “The truth is, Senator Clinton called NAFTA a victory and has switched positions for raw political reasons. Her false attack won’t protect American workers, but as president, Senator Obama will,” said Burton.

Clinton has threatened to opt out of NAFTA unless the U.S. wins key concessions to strengthen labour and environmental protections in the deal. Obama, in a debate last week, also said he would “use the hammer of a potential opt out as leverage” to negotiate better standards.

A Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby tracking poll released today showed Obama with 47 per cent support in Ohio, compared to 45 per cent for Clinton. In Texas, Obama led 47 to 44.

It’s not known how the Associated Press obtained the internal Canadian memo, which it said had been widely distributed within the government.

A senior Democratic strategist, Bob Shrum, on Sunday accused the “right-wing” government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper of trying to influence the outcome of the Democratic race.

“You’ve got a right-wing government in Canada that is trying to help the Republicans and is out there actively interfering in this campaign,” Shrum, who advised Senator John Kerry on his 2004 campaign, said on NBC’s Meet the Press.

Clinton’s campaign has said the former first lady needs to win in both Ohio and Texas or she will unlikely be able to win the Democratic nomination. Obama has won 11 straight nominating contests and leads in the race for delegates to this summer’s Democratic convention in Denver.
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comeon.
Its almost as funny as when McCain said if the US pulled out of NAFTA Canada would pull out of A-Stan.
I cant remember when Canada has been in the American news this much.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FascistLibertarian wrote:
Comeon.
Its almost as funny as when McCain said if the US pulled out of NAFTA Canada would pull out of A-Stan.
I cant remember when Canada has been in the American news this much.

I wonder how many American politicos are searching for Canada on a map as we speak? :lol:

-Mac
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This is on Obama's Official YouTube page (Obama is pro-NDP! Dear God!)

Link

The Host called Jack "Labour leader", :lol:

Yikes, Obama being the next President wouldn't be great for Canada after this debacle [/youtube]
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a super majority in both Senate and House to repeal. Good Luck and Good night!!
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riley, I tried to reply to your PM but I'm unable to do so. I'm guessing it's because of the code changes Stephen made (mentioned on thread re: log-in difficulties). I just tried again but still unable to send you a PM. I wanted you to know so you don't think I'm ignoring you. Basically, I want to congratulate you for your mature outlook.

-Mac
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any talk about protectionism should worry you if you are a Canadian who has a job. Canada absolutely positively must have free trade with the US. There would be a deep, long recession if that deal were revoked, while our economy adjusted to new realities.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest:
Quote:
The leak of information about Barack Obama's position on the North American Free Trade Agreement was "blatantly unfair" to his campaign, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Wednesday.
"This kind of leaking of information is completely unacceptable and in fact ... it may well be illegal," the prime minister told Parliament.
"It is not useful, it is not in the interests of the government of Canada, and the way the leak was executed, Mr. Speaker, was blatantly unfair to Sen. Obama and his campaign."

I think this is a good move on Harper's part.
WestViking

votes: 29

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly how do you 'out' an American presidential race campaign? These people are not in positions of power; they are competing for the opportunity to go to the electorate as candidates.If campaign teams are stupid enough to approach foreign nations when they are campaigning and have zero authority to meddle in foreign affairs, the American people should know about it. They represent neither the American people or their government until elected and we have no obligation to pretend that they do.
JBG

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestViking wrote:
Exactly how do you 'out' an American presidential race campaign? These people are not in positions of power; they are competing for the opportunity to go to the electorate as candidates.If campaign teams are stupid enough to approach foreign nations when they are campaigning and have zero authority to meddle in foreign affairs, the American people should know about it. They represent neither the American people or their government until elected and we have no obligation to pretend that they do.
Agreed.

Jane Fonda and Jimmy Carter have done some real damage to US interests with ex officio meddling. Fortunately, in this case, it's harder to do real damage though I wouldn't put it past Barak.

Jump to: