Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
People are so irrational about the price of gas. What does it cost you, 3% of your salary? Less? Bottled water, Coka Cola, both are more expensive. The only difference is that the price of bottled water is not posted up in billboards all around town.

I agree with this statement to a point. I'm thinking that the price of gas that you see on the signs at stations is making people crazy because they know it's just the tip of an very huge iceberg. If the price of coke cola goes up to $10 bucks a bottle I have the option of not buying anymore and really that price is going to strop right there, it has no further effect on any other purchases I may require.

But the price of gas has a massive rippling; effect thru my wallet that I have no control over. The price of food hat fuels my family is going to go up as a result, the price of most manufactured goods will be nudged up, the price of publiic transportation to get to work will be escalating to keep up, oh and the price of heating during our nice temperate winters of -20 just gets more onerous. Of course there will always be folks that will be able to adjust more easily to these fluctuations, but for anyone on a fixed income? Not so good.

Not exactly like a hike in cola prices.
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
People are so irrational about the price of gas. What does it cost you, 3% of your salary? Less? Bottled water, Coka Cola, both are more expensive. The only difference is that the price of bottled water is not posted up in billboards all around town.

This is oversimplifying the impact of the carbon tax. The carbon tax is not just a gasoline tax. It will affect the cost of everything we buy and it will cost more to produce goods - both of which will drive up inflation. Yes gas prices are very visible, but it is all the death by a thousand cuts that I am worried about. I can chose to drive less (which I already do), but I can't chose not to feed my family, which will become more expensive with this carbon tax.

I'll post this link again: http://communities.canada.com/.....fault.aspx

Quote:
Natural gas is priced at the wholesale level before tax, so B.C. natural gas is the same price for a sawmill in Washington state as it is for a B.C. producer. Under the carbon tax regime, the B.C. producer will pay 50 cents a gigajoule more for B.C. gas on July 1, $1 more on July 1 next year and $1.50 more the year after that. The Washington state producer pays no tax.
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another province that is taxing it's businesses and employers, helping them to be competitive in todays global market, getting to the point that they want out of there and I suppose the resulting layoffs in Canada is good for our economy too?
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:
Another province that is taxing it's businesses and employers, helping them to be competitive in todays global market, getting to the point that they want out of there and I suppose the resulting layoffs in Canada is good for our economy too?

On a related topic, Campbell is spending like a drunken sailor. He recently announced a grant of $9 million for the National Maritime Centre to built on the North Shore. He seems to think that the good times will last forever.

Oh to have a true conservative alternative in BC.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  

Jump to: