Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Final word on carbon tax. Reply with quote

To all of you who think a carbon tax is a good idea, it is time for hard numbers.

How much tax will there be on gasoline?
How much tax will there be on diesel?
How much tax will there be on natural gas?
How much tax will there be on propane?
How much tax will there be on coal?
How much tax will there be on petroleum products, such as lubricating grease, 5w20, and the like?
How will this affect the price of electricity?
How will this affect the price of transporting goods?
How will it affect the price of manufactured goods?
How will it affect the price of food?
How will this affect the price of services?

If you can't answer these questions, then exactly why do you think a carbon tax is a good idea? How much thought have you put into it? Platitudes wil not cut it here. If you do not have numbers, don't even bother.
Bill_in_Calgary

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add one more question to your list:
Who do you think will be hurt the most?

I even have the answer:
Hurt the most will be those with the least!
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure Sask would be hit hard too. About 75% of our electricity comes from coal, and there are a few natural gas generating stations, a bit of hydro, a smidgen of wind. So electricity is going to rise sharply in price in Saskatchewan, as coal is going to be targeted especially hard. Two things you absolutely positively cannot do without in Saskatchewan are electricity and natural gas, and both would be rising sharply in price.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, apparently Dion wants there to be a price on carbon, but no tax.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/Arti.....b=Politics
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that this has basically fallen off the radar.

PS. Still interested in the answers though.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:

The subject will come back with a vengeance when/if Gordon Campbell follows through on his intention to bring in carbon taxes...

-Mac
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:

There are to many threads on the same topic: two provincial, this one, and the Dion one.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want people who say it is a good idea to tell me why. Apparently, it is too bothersome to put into words, or possibly they have not really thought about it.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Final word on carbon tax. Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
If you can't answer these questions, then exactly why do you think a carbon tax is a good idea? How much thought have you put into it? Platitudes wil not cut it here. If you do not have numbers, don't even bother.

Who thinks it would be a good idea???

But frankly you sure are full of yourself.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who thinks it would be a good idea? Elizabeth May for one, and I know that a few Greens lurk around here. Dion, and again, there are a few Liberal supporters around here. You are entitled to your opinion of course, if you think carbon taxes are a good idea, feel free to tell me why.

Carbon taxes are now officially part of the election platforms of at least one national fringe party. One would think that a lot of time and effort went into coming up with this carbon tax idea. The problem is that I have never seen any evidence of that.
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason some people think its a good idea is because the true cost of fossil fuels isnt taken into account at the prodction and consumption levels which causes the price people pay to consume and use energy based from fossil fuels to be artifically lower than the true cost of the energy source.
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FascistLibertarian wrote:
The reason some people think its a good idea is because the true cost of fossil fuels isnt taken into account at the prodction and consumption levels which causes the price people pay to consume and use energy based from fossil fuels to be artifically lower than the true cost of the energy source.

I'm sorry FAS/LIB I must be a little sloooow tonight, could you repeat that in English please.? I couldn't follow that at all.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"true cost" is a completely subjective term, it basically has no meaning. To me the true cost of something is what you pay on the open market for it. In my opinion, we do pay the true cost of gasoline. Worse yet, I don't think an objective definition is even possible, it seems one of those terms that is designed to provoke an emotional response in people, but no two people would define it the same way.
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
"true cost" is a completely subjective term, it basically has no meaning. To me the true cost of something is what you pay on the open market for it. In my opinion, we do pay the true cost of gasoline. Worse yet, I don't think an objective definition is even possible, it seems one of those terms that is designed to provoke an emotional response in people, but no two people would define it the same way.

We pay more than the true market price as gas is already taxed. I imagine that the oil companies would make up the difference if all taxes were suddenly removed from the cost.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:

So you think manufacturers should be free to dump mercury into our rivers and lakes? Because if we regulate that we are interfering with the "true cost" right?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  

Jump to: