Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Gender Gap? Reply with quote

Here's a Gender Gap for you:

http://www.indexmundi.com/cana.....birth.html

Quote:

total population: 80.22 years
male: 76.86 years
female: 83.74 years (2006 est.)

;)
biggie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/health26.htm

Noticing a distinct but gradual trend? The gap is Growing

???
Albertan Technophile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much industrial accidents afect those numbers. Men are far more likely to have light or heavy industrial jobs, where life shortening or life ending accidents are more prevelent.
biggie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i know those numbers are based on natural causes, hence the reason the numbers dont nose-dive in the 39-45s...
biggie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie rection wrote:
as far as i know those numbers are based on natural causes, hence the reason the numbers dont nose-dive in the 39-45s...

Aparently not:

Quote:
The reasons for the difference between male and female life expectancy are not fully understood. While some scholars argue that women are biologically superior to men and thus live longer, others argue that men are employed in more hazardous occupations (factories, military service, etc). Plus, men generally drive, smoke and drink more than women - men are even more often murdered.

http://geography.about.com/od/.....ctancy.htm
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly biologically speaking, there shouldn't be any reason for women to live that much longer than men, so I'd second the report's conclusions. More dangerous jobs, higher stress, and many other factors dogpile on us, I think.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've been married as long as I have, you'd understand why men die earlier than women... and you'd sympathize... :cry:

-Mac
jw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gap is there, it was narrowing for several decades and is now growing. Part of the reason for that is the violence of the discrimination against males in medical research funding: Such funding was 2 to 1 in favor of females in the 1960's, it is now 42 to 1 and still growing (as measured by the number of single gender studies published).

Males die more often from all forms of accidents and it is probable that accidents are one of the major factors in the lower life expectancy of males. Other major factors are:

murder ... 13 males die of violence for every female who dies via violence. Yet almost 100% of the anti-violence money goes to females
- cancer ... males die earlier and more often of cancer: 43 to 38 if I remember correctly
- suicide ... males die 4 times more often from suicide even though suicide prevention MUST by law be gender neutral. The male suicide rate is growing while the female rate is very slowly falling

Men are going to have to tell the women to behave themselves. Let's be straight up here, unless men tell the women to allow equality, we will have an ever growing imbalance. As Farrell says "A woman cannot hear what a man does not say."
biggie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, prostate cancer is one area that concerns me;

http://www.prostatecancer.ca/l.....Report.pdf

perfect example - $4.5 million on prostate cancer research, $11 million for breast cancer.

The two are comparable in incidence rates

PSA tests are not insured medical services, yet pap smears and mammograms are.
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
If you've been married as long as I have, you'd understand why men die earlier than women... and you'd sympathize... :cry:

-Mac

I know you're joking, but it's been found that married men live longer than unmarried men and the opposite is true for women.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
I know you're joking, but it's been found that married men live longer than unmarried men and the opposite is true for women.

I'd heard the first part but I hadn't heard the opposite was true for the ladies. How bizarre!

-Mac
jw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:

WEllllllllll ... maybe ... welll sortaa ...

The thing is there is a BIG question as to whether this is correlation or causation, there's a huge question involving homeless men (who do not live long), very poor men and a goodly many other question to boot. Plus, divorced men tend to be HIGHLY stressed and thus die earlier. Plus, men who suicide must be brought into the thing.

Here we look into the very heart of science. It will take many years to answer all of the questions which surround this.

From what we know at present it seems likely that a lifelong bachelor, such as PJ O'Rourke, may well live even longer than a married man.
biggie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Gender Gap?

Quote:

The unemployment rate for adult women was down to 5 per cent -- the lowest level in 30 years.

However, more adult men were looking for work, which pushed the jobless rate for them up slightly to 5.5 per cent.

VIA CTV
jw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is another gender gap.

The unemployment rate for males has been higher than that for females for several decades. As it is effectively illegal to spend money on males this situation will continue and probably increase.

NOTE: Unemployment is defined as that set of people who are LOOKING for work and do not have work (someone who is looking for a better job is not included, neither is someone who does not have a job and is not looking for one).

There are more than a few areas of life in which it is males who are worse off. Plus, several areas of life in which males are actively discriminated against: There are even a few ways in which the discrimination against males is an active threat to male life.

It is really VERY sad.

Jump to: